Thread: Reds Notes: Team not planning on placing Wilson on DL

MLB ERA

Reds Notes: Team not planning on placing Wilson on DL

Dunn jabs Miley on clubhouse makeover

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | Furniture movers swept the Cincinnati Reds clubhouse Tuesday, and the players are pretty sure it wasn't Bekins or Mayflower.

When Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. arrived, they discovered their massage recliner chairs were missing, removed by Manager Dave Miley.

"That's the surprise I got today when I got here," Dunn said. "So now we'll start winning. It was my chair's fault. My back hurts and I need it. It's therapeutic.

"I think my chair wants traded," he added. "It came to play every day, never complained. Hey, we won (Monday night). If we lost, my glove might be gone today. They did leave the tip jar that was next to the chair. I was surprised they didn't take the money."

Dunn paused with a broad smile on his face and said, "I'll probably get in trouble for this, but I had to have fun with it."

One thing that wasn't taken down was the red No. 32 practice jersey worn by Danny Graves, cut from the team Monday. Dunn has it hanging on a wall next to his locker and said, "That's not coming down. If that goes, I'm going."

Dunn said Miley said it was his decision, and Miley said, "The chairs have disappeared. We're changing things up and I'll leave it at that."

Graves' last words

Speaking of Graves, his last words as he left the Reds' clubhouse Monday were, "I was an All-Star last year, and less than a year later I don't have a job and I'm shown the door."

David Weathers, who stepped into Graves' closer role Monday and pitched a 1-2-3 ninth, said Graves never left his mind.

Like most players, he believes Graves was let go because of the intense booing from fans.

"If a player like Danny Graves can handle boos, front offices should be able to handle it and not panic," Weathers said. The Chicago Cubs and Florida Marlins already have expressed interest in Graves.

Cruz patiently waits

The Reds are 45 games into the season, and outfielder/first baseman Jacob Cruz has been neither an outfielder nor a first baseman. He has been a pinch-hitter ... period.

He is the only position player in the majors who was on an Opening Day roster but has not started a game.

"He told me the other day, 'Sometime soon, you'll start a game sometime soon,' " Cruz said, referring to Miley.

"It is really tough to pinch-hit once every four days," Cruz said. "The other day I decided to take a pitch or two, just so I'd see pitches. Usually, I swing at the first good one. Well, the only good pitch to hit I saw was the first one and I took it."

Minor tinkering

Catcher Jason LaRue was hitting .196 after the weekend, but he had three hits Monday, including a home run, shoving his average above the Mendoza Line to .217.

"I've worked a lot with (hitting coach) Chris Chambliss," he said. "It is a long year, and a season is a year of adjustments. Sometimes you get in a rut and need to adjust."

LaRue says it was nothing major, a minor tuneup, some air in his tires and a quart of oil.

"That's the mistake a lot of guys make when things aren't going right," he said. "They make big changes in their swings and stances. Mostly all you need is a small, minor change. It's see the ball, hit the ball, and if you can see it good you can hit it good."

Wilson still out

Pitcher Paul Wilson won't appear in the four-game Pittsburgh series that begins Thursday. The rotation is Elizardo Ramirez, Ramon Ortiz, Eric Milton and Brandon Claussen."

Although it will be nearly 15 days since Wilson last pitched by the end of the Pittsburgh series, Miley said the club has no thoughts of placing him on the disabled list.

"Nothing has changed. We're trying to give him a cooling off period," Miley said about Wilson's shoulder tendinitis.

Meanwhile, the team plays one man and one pitcher short.

Ortiz recovered

His left eye is bloodshot and he has a shiner under it, but Ramon Ortiz is ready for his start Friday. Ortiz was smashed under the left eye by a line drive hit by Cleveland's Ronnie Belliard on Sunday.

"I feel better, no pain," he said. "I like to pitch too much, and that little thing is not going to stop me."

Ortiz said he had never been hit in the head, but said Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki hit his right shoulder once, and the ball ricocheted off his right buttocks, "And that hurt both places."

When the consequences of a direct shot in the eye were mentioned, Ortiz said, "For me it would have been, 'See ya later.' "
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AAA ERA
    ah poor Jacob Cruz... if he was any good he would get a start.. but he's not so he needs to stop his boohooin'

Rookie ERA
    The problem was Danny Graves couldn't handle the boos. If he could have handled them he wouldn't have complained the first time or flipped off fans on Sunday.

Well how much you guys wanna bet Cruz will get that start today? I had to watch Luis Lopez and probably now Cruz.

And I think Miley should recognize his teams superstars. You need to make them happy, or else they won't come back. And right now Dunn doesn't really have any reasons to want to stay. Front office in shambles, manager taking his chair away. Dunn is the best player we have and he is punishing him.

MLB ERA
    The players need to get over it. The circus-like atmosphere has been a problem with the team for a few years and I don't think it has done anything but enhanced the losing attitude the team has. There are too many players on the team that seem more concerned with relaxing in chairs and playing Playstation(yeah, this has been discussed before) than winning games. Too many of the players have the Graves "no biggie if we win or lose" attitude.

The problem with Dunn is that he isn't locked up yet. I don't think he'll want to leave if he gets a contract he deserves. That is O'Brien's fault, but it is the problem with him. If he gets a real contract, I don't think he'll be worrying too much about chairs, etc.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Redleg44
    The problem was Danny Graves couldn't handle the boos. If he could have handled them he wouldn't have complained the first time or flipped off fans on Sunday.
    Exactly. If Graves took it like a professional, he would likely still be on the team and in the closer's role.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    But really, why hasnt Wilson been placed on the DL yet? I really can't see how they continue to justify this, especially with what happened last night (although obviously the results were positive.)

And even though Ortiz on the whole has been unimpressive, I am really rooting for the guy. He seems like a true gamer and he just really loves being a baseball player.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, you have to root for a guy like Ortiz.

It didn't take long for this post to become outdated. Miley must have told all the sportswriters that Wilson was not going on the DL, 'cause Fay had it in today's paper too.

Now the sportswriters are probably a bit miffed at Miley not to mention Griffey and Dunn. Miley's got to be getting a little lonely these days.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    What the heck are they thinking? Wilson has to go on the DL. Casey may be out for a while. Randa may be out for a while. Pena may still be out for a while. So, the first three are going to have to go on the DL if they are taking roster spots.