Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coutlangus to AAA, Freel to DL; Everyday Magic Called Up

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Coutlangus to AAA, Freel to DL; Everyday Magic Called Up

You know what we do with sub 4 ERA relievers in one of the worst pens in baseball, send 'em to AAA, that's the Cincy way!

They just love to make players hate playing for this organization.

All of the below is per rotoworld.com:
    Eddie Guardado-R-Reds Aug. 7 - 1:27 pm et

Reds activated LHP Eddie Guardado from the 60-day disabled list.
    Guardado hasn't pitched in the majors in nearly a year and had a 4.50 ERA with a 3/4 K/BB ratio in eight innings at Triple-A during his minor league rehab assignment, but the Reds apparently feel like he's ready to return. The Reds' bullpen can certainly use some help, but don't expect Guardado to be in the late-inning mix immediately.

Ryan Freel-OF-Reds Aug. 7 - 1:24 pm et

Reds placed IF/OF Ryan Freel on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to August 3 with torn cartilage in his right knee.
    No word yet on how long he's expected to miss, but Freel is scheduled for surgery Wednesday and it's likely to be longer than the required 15 days. Norris Hopper has stepped into the lineup for Freel, but Josh Hamilton will likely take over as his replacement soon if he can avoid a setback during his minor league rehab assignment.
    Related: Josh Hamilton, Norris Hopper

Gary Majewski-R-Reds Aug. 7 - 1:20 pm et

Reds recalled RHP Gary Majewski from Triple-A Louisville.
    Majewski was awful with the Reds earlier this season, but has pitched reasonably well at Triple-A with a 3.89 ERA and 30/15 K/BB ratio in 38 2/3 innings.

Jon Coutlangus-R-Reds Aug. 7 - 1:17 pm et

Reds optioned LHP Jon Coutlangus to Triple-A Louisville.
    The move comes as a surprise given Coutlangus' 3.93 ERA and .235 opponent's batting average in 36 2/3 innings, but the 26-year-old converted outfielder struggled some with his control and has options remaining.

JOSE REYES IS KING
    Rookie ERA

Re: Coutlangus to AAA, Freel to DL; Everyday Magic Called Up

David weathers isn't doing terrable i feel like he has been around forever though
    http://www.getafreeappleiphone.com/i...ers/1167_4.gifpaid for my Jose Reyes jersey Yes it works you can try it too.Free money for quick easy surveys.For Pictures of my checks and tips check out my blog http://paid4mycamera.blogspot.com/

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Perhaps they are gearing toward next season and seeing what Guardado and Majewski can do one last time?

But that still doesn't excuse the Coutlangus demotion. I am baffled once again.

MLB ERA

woo!!! More Stanton Shots vs LHH!!! Can't go wrong with over the hillers when youre out of it!!!

First thing this team could do to help the pen is get rid of Stanton then you can legitimately hold people's feet to the fire for poor performances. Until then its a joke.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

AAA ERA

WTF????????????

god i wish i loved baseball enough to actually find a new favorite team..

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

It's really hard to defend these type of moves. I can only hope there is good reasoning behind it (Showcasing?). Otherwise there is no reason for Coffey (needs to go to High A sarasota) and Stanton (needs a pink slip) to be here right now and to then subtract Coutlangus and I might add Brad Salmon shoud have never been sent down. Maybe the Reds have an offer on the table for Stanton or Weathers or both and wanna see if they have some guys who could come up and get it together and finally fill out the back end. Or they wanna see if either Eddie or Majewski have it together enough to cut loose of Stanton and send down Coffey.

I don't know what to say, except wait and see.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

The more Stanton/Macrapski fastballs the NL sees over the remainder of the season, the better the chances we have of earning the #1 overall pick in next year's draft.

I like it! Solid personnel/franchise management!
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

MLB ERA

Unless there is a catch, let me get these rants out of the way:

Why not Coffey? Stanton? Gosling?
    Why does one of my favorites in this terrible pen (Coutlangus) get sent down?
    Why not Bray instead of Majewski?
    Why so many pitchers now on the roster?

Mackanin is as baffled as everyone else, per Fay's blog:

More on the moves; Freel done

It sounds like a position player will be brought up shortly.

Ryan Freel says if the his knee is as bad as they expect, he's done for the year. "I'll be on crutches four to six weeks," he said.

Pete Mackanin on why Todd Coffey wasn't sent out: "I don't know how to answer that. There might be something else going on. You might ask Wayne (Krivsky). . . There's so much involved that I'm not privy too."

Gary Majewski said something applies to Coffey: "Sometimes it's better to go down (to the minors) and work on stuff than stay up here and get shellacked."

Haven't seen Krivsky yet.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA

Krivsky speaks, again per Fay's blog:

"Krivsky on the moves

He didn't help himself by saying what he said, but here's Wayne Krivsky's explanation of the moves:

On why Todd Coffey wasn't optioned: “We going with the 13 right now that we think are the best 13 over whatever length of time it is. I don’t want to talk about individuals. He’s not the only one who’s struggling.”

On carrying 13 pitchers: "Many times it's to protect your other pitchers, so you can use the right guys whether you’re winning or losing. There’s old expression among veteran managers: You've got to know how to lose a game too. There’s a lot of truth in that, so you’re prepared to win the next one. It gives Pete a little extra flexibility with his bullpen. We’ll see how long we go with 13. I don’t know.

“Two intelligent minds can agree to disagree on the moves. I'm trying to give you guys our reasons. There’s one GM, one manager and pitching coach. We put all our heads together and tried to come up with what made sense.”"
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA

Each of those pathetic statements above give more and more reason to fire him.

I don't even know how to respond to such complete lunacy.

MLB ERA

Trent rips Krivsky in his blog!!:

"Um... yeah. Wow. OK...

We talked to Pete and talked to Wayne.

Asked Pete why Todd Coffey was still here. Basically his answer was, "talk to Wayne."

So, I talked to Wayne. Here's what he had to say:

"Like I said, we’re going with the 13 guys right now that we think are thebest 13 in whatever length of time it is. I don’t want to talk about individuals, but he’s not the only one that’s struggling."

"Two intelligent minds can agree to disagree on the moves, I’m just trying to give you our explanation on the moves, you guys are entitled to your opinion, and I respect it as long as you hear mine and you can make your own conclusions. There’s one GM, one maanger and one pitching coach, we tried to put all our heads together and come up with what makes sense."

"Everyone’s entitled to an opinion."

Well, my opinion is it's stupid. And here's why. Here's Wayne on why they have 13 pitchers (which I actually understand, it's just that those pitchers are who they are is what I disagree with)

Krvidawg:

"Many times it’s to protect the other pitchers so you can use the right guys whether you’re winning or losing. If you’re going to lose a game and are way behind, you can stay behind and be ready for the next game. There’s an expression among veteran managers, 'you’ve got to learn how to lose a game, too.' There’s a lot of truth in that so you’re prepared to lose the next one. It gives Pete a little extra flexibility with his bullpen, and we’ll see how long we go with 13, I don’t have the answer."

So, basically, with Harang and his back, Dumatrait and Belisle, as well as Livingston, Wayne's basically saying he's expecting to lose some games. So, you know, at least he has some pitchers that will help him lose games if they're ready to pack in a game. But hey, $1 hot dogs!

It's a bad, bad statement to throw out there. I didn't think too much of the fire Krivsky sentiment until now, this is the final straw. It's the dumbest thing I've seen since Juan Castro batting for Josh Hamilton. There's no reason asking Wayne about Dunn's option, because it's not going to be his decision to make."

MLB ERA

"There’s an expression among veteran managers, 'you’ve got to learn how to lose a game, too.' There’s a lot of truth in that so you’re prepared to lose the next one."

Comments like that might get him fired tomorrow.

MLB ERA

I just can't get over how dumb that statement was. Just wow, wow, wow.

He must have been TOLD he is out at the end of the year and is just "letting loose" or has strong reasons to SUSPCT he is out at the end of the year.

If not, the irony is he might have well sealed his fate with those comments.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like them made by a GM.

MLB ERA

Has Krivsky had a psychotic breakdown or something??? What is this, per Fay's blog???

"Are the Reds going to add a position player soon? “I have no idea. This is how we’re going tonight. I don’t know what’s going to happen in the future.”"

Does he KNOW he's getting fired tomorrow already or something????

Ex-Tree
    Rookie ERA

I'm dumbfounded by these roster moves. Sure, bring up EG and even Majewski--but why is Coutlangus the one to go down? He's not a superstar, but he's the most effective (faint praise) lefty in the pen. It's frustrating enough to be this bad--is Krivsky trying to "win" the first pick in the draft?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast