Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Krivsky be fired?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Will Krivsky be fired?

I was just listening to MLB The Show on XM this morning. Walt Jocketty is supposedly leaving the Cards and could be available soon. The report is that the Pirates want him badly. But you have to wonder about Krivsky's recent showing of dereliction, is BCast smart enough to make a move?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Will Krivsky be fired?

But honestly, do we want Jocketty unless Duncan comes with him? A lot of his success has been due to Duncan being able to use released pitchers and turn them into gems, sometimes for a long while and sometimes for just when they need them. Add in his luck to get Pujols and buying at the right time for a guy like Rolen, Jocketty has had a lot of luck on his side when winning that world series a pretty big budget (for the NL Central.) I like him and I think in St. Louis he's a good fit with what he has, I am just not convinced he is the savior we need and frankly, I don't know who is.

And you can't tell me that a deal like the Mulder deal, at the time it happened, wouldn't of pissed off Reds fans. (Not speaking to you directly redsr.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Very true on the Mulder deal. I guess Jocketty strikes me as a guy who gets the job done when it is needed to be done. Which is a lot more than we can say about Krivsky. Honestly, I never disliked Krivsky as I still feel he is better than recent history. I still like him better than DanO by far. But still, he has no excuse not to move players before the trade deadline. None whatsoever.

Anyhow, I don't want to say the usual "anyone is better than Krivsky." Because I don't believe that and that is the reason why we are in the rut we see now. We need legitimacy both in the scouting and managerial positions. That is something we have not had for well over 10 years. Marge Schott even fired scouts in her hay day because she didn't believe in them. Now they seem to have taken on that same attitude and just hiring someone to fill the role.

Garbage. We need someone to take this place over.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Very true on the Mulder deal. I guess Jocketty strikes me as a guy who gets the job done when it is needed to be done. Which is a lot more than we can say about Krivsky. Honestly, I never disliked Krivsky as I still feel he is better than recent history. I still like him better than DanO by far. But still, he has no excuse not to move players before the trade deadline. None whatsoever.

Anyhow, I don't want to say the usual "anyone is better than Krivsky." Because I don't believe that and that is the reason why we are in the rut we see now. We need legitimacy both in the scouting and managerial positions. That is something we have not had for well over 10 years. Marge Schott even fired scouts in her hay day because she didn't believe in them. Now they seem to have taken on that same attitude and just hiring someone to fill the role.

Garbage. We need someone to take this place over.
    there was an excuse, it however was a horrible one...

It really soured me on him truthfully, at this point we needed to unload Dunn and our 1B's so we could bet good long looks at Bruce and Votto.. Bruce is still hitting the ball well even in AAA, so i think at this point we could have thrown him out there.. worst case scenario is basically injury, but you take that chance in minors.. there is really a no lose scenario.. because if we lose a bunch of games we get great draft pick.

it was admirable that he is so competitive that he wanted to have a strive to win when they were how many games out of it.. but come on.. Conine and Hatteberg are not the future.. and now not moving Dunn now could me that we may lose him for draft picks.. instead of prospects..

Do I think he will be fired, no because Castellini seems to really like him, do I want him gone.. yes.. but only for someone better, because i am not ready for another DanO

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I still don't get why unloading Dunn was so much of a priority than unloading Griffey. Teams wanted Griffey, probably more than Dunn, and honestly two years from now, would you really want Griffey in this lineup instead?

C - Anyone but Ross
    1B - Votto
    2B - Phillips
    3B - Encarnacion
    SS - Anyone but Gonzalez
    LF - Dunn
    CF - Bruce
    RF - Hamilton

MLB ERA

Krivsky needs to go.

That much is clear at this point.

Jocketty would by far be the best candidate available. I don't want a lunatic like DePodesta or something like that.

I imagine if he's hired, he WOULD bring Dave Duncan with him (though I can definitely do without LaRussa).

Also, he has always seemed to know which pitchers Duncan could work with, which seems to be a sign of very high-level scouting to me. I think he does an incredible job of mixing stats and a scouting eye. Krivsky seems to do too much of the latter.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    I still don't get why unloading Dunn was so much of a priority than unloading Griffey. Teams wanted Griffey, probably more than Dunn, and honestly two years from now, would you really want Griffey in this lineup instead?

C - Anyone but Ross
    1B - Votto
    2B - Phillips
    3B - Encarnacion
    SS - Anyone but Gonzalez
    LF - Dunn
    CF - Bruce
    RF - Hamilton

Do you really think they will pick up Dunn's option?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NFLman2033 View Post
    there was an excuse, it however was a horrible one...

It really soured me on him truthfully, at this point we needed to unload Dunn and our 1B's so we could bet good long looks at Bruce and Votto.. Bruce is still hitting the ball well even in AAA, so i think at this point we could have thrown him out there.. worst case scenario is basically injury, but you take that chance in minors.. there is really a no lose scenario.. because if we lose a bunch of games we get great draft pick.

it was admirable that he is so competitive that he wanted to have a strive to win when they were how many games out of it.. but come on.. Conine and Hatteberg are not the future.. and now not moving Dunn now could me that we may lose him for draft picks.. instead of prospects..

Do I think he will be fired, no because Castellini seems to really like him, do I want him gone.. yes.. but only for someone better, because i am not ready for another DanO
    I have been so upset with the lack of deals, I must have missed the excuses. Can you find those and share them with me?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Do you really think they will pick up Dunn's option?
    This year? If they don't, they are even more stupid then I realize.

As for 2009, I doubt Dunn would be resigned by the current regime, but who knows.

AAA ERA

C - Anyone but Ross
    1B - Votto
    2B - Phillips
    3B - Encarnacion
    SS - Anyone but Gonzalez
    LF - Dunn
    CF - Bruce
    RF - Hamilton
    i already told you in the other thread why i hate dunn, his production is very deceiving, he does not perform in the clutch, he doesn't drive in enough runs in relation to his HR's.. he doesn't put the ball in play when he needs too.. what else is there to say, oh yea his fielding.. he is such a headache to me, i don't want him back, and would rather see him traded off for anything rather than lose him for some draft picks.

Griffey maybe a mere shadow of his greatness, but he is a much more likable player, he can hit in the clutch better, is capable of driving in runs when we need it, and will put the ball in play..

I hate players who strike out with a runner on 3rd base and 1 out.. you should be up there hitting for contact, not trying to coax a walk so the guy behind you can hit into a double play..

anyway

AAA ERA

I have been so upset with the lack of deals, I must have missed the excuses. Can you find those and share them with me?
    wow, i have no idea where i got that from, maybe i am reading things i want to see again..

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

This year? If they don't, they are even more stupid then I realize.

As for 2009, I doubt Dunn would be resigned by the current regime, but who knows.

I agree, it would be real dumb not to pick up the option. But even though Krivsky didn't trade him, I still think he will not be here next year. For sure not 2009.

The worst part is, if the team option is not exercised, we would not find anything at all in free agency that could equal his production. Not even close.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

I agree, it would be real dumb not to pick up the option. But even though Krivsky didn't trade him, I still think he will not be here next year. For sure not 2009.

The worst part is, if the team option is not exercised, we would not find anything at all in free agency that could equal his production. Not even close.
    Sure they can:
    Kosuke Fukudome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just might be a tad unlikely a guy comes all the way to Cincy from Japan but I would try very hard. Deal Dunn and Jr for pitching and some other vital pieces. And then offer this guy 16 million per for 4 years, frontload it and he makes less when he is getting a bit older but he would be about 35 at the end of that contract. The guy can hit and he's a solid glovesman and we all know the Japanese age gracefully. Stick him in LF and Hamilton in CF and Bruce in RF. Tell me people wouldn't buy mass amounts of tickets to see their own version of Hideki Matsui.

When asked whether he had any interest in the Major Leagues on a television show in the 2006 off-season, Fukudome answered "It would be a lie to say I didn't. Playing in the World Baseball Classic increased my desire to play in the majors."

Barring injuries, Fukudome will become a free agent in August, 2007, and he is certainly a player to watch for during the off-season. Some experts predict Fukudome will earn $12-15 million annually over three or four seasons. [1]

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

As far as Krivsky goes I would keep him for at the very least 1 to 1 and a half more seasons. Bye then we should start to see if there is any hope for the future. 3 to 3 1/2 seasons should be a minimum to at least see the immediate future on the horizon. 1 1/2 to 2 yrs isn't enough for anyone.

I mean we all know he tried to make deals but no one is paying up what we or any other teams want. How do you fault him for that?

The Official Site of The Houston Astros: News: Houston Astros News

The Astros fielded many offers for infielders Mike Lamb and Mark Loretta, the two players who were coveted by other teams and available. Closer Brad Lidge is believed to have been off the table.

The offers, however, were far below what the Astros would want in exchange for their two veteran infielders. There was more interest in Loretta, but Purpura passed on accepting offers for either, mainly because interested clubs weren't offering future Major League talent.

"We were really underwhelmed with the kind of players that we were offered," Purpura said. "Basically, they were organizational-type players that weren't going to help us in the future. "You have a line that you draw as an organization, as far as what's acceptable compensation for a player. Why take on players that you don't project as Major League players? You're just cluttering your organization. We made proposals for better players. We couldn't get anybody to accept those kinds of proposals."

Purpura prefers to keep Loretta and Lamb and receive Draft picks for them should the club not re-sign them. The GM, however, has not ruled out making an attempt to re-sign one or both once they hit free agency this winter.

Rockies manager Clint Hurdle, who participated in trade deliberations with O'Dowd, said, "It just seemed like we were offered coal and they wanted gold nuggets."

JP Riccardi was on the FAN in Toronto (Sports radio station) for his weekly interview and had this to say. "Teams were not willing to trade value for value".

Maybe Conine should have gone but he will if he hasn't yet cleared waivers and be dealt, Hatteberg also could but I am no hurry to get rid of Hatte as I am not 100% convinced Votto is truly ready. But if the Reds are convinced he is ready, then who better to be a positive influence on he and guys like Bruce than Hatteberg.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Just to add this to the conversation. This is a part From Peter Gammons last insider article. It only sort of fits this discussion but it's interesting nonetheless.

There are three converging fronts that might make the trading deadline as meaningless and boring as Ann Coulter.

The first is Budonomics. "The fact is that there aren't any teams that have to unload salaries," said the GM of an NL contender who was looking to trade. "Everyone is making money, and no one has to dump cash. There's not even a Bobby Abreu out there, like last July." Pittsburgh actually ate a moveable contract feast in Morris. Credit Bud Selig, or blame him, but while he rails at teams about their spending habits and the New York office tries to rig the amateur draft bonuses, teams like the Pirates, Reds and Royals don't have to get rid of anyone because of payroll. And did not.

The second is the fear and loathing some ownerships have draped around their general managers. "There's a lot of pressure on guys like Wayne Krivsky [Cincinnati's general manager] and Dave Littlefield [Pittsburgh's GM] from their owners not to make what will be perceived by the media and talk shows as a bad deal," another GM said. "The Reds were supposed to be remade into the model of the Twins, but 16 months into a five-year rebuilding plan, the owner wants immediate results. It's unfair, but it really puts some general managers in boxes."

The third is that many big-market, big-budget teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Mets are not on the Paris Hilton shopping plan. Instead, they are adopting the business plan so successfully implemented by the Twins, Angels and Braves, which is to hold to one budget level and focus on scouting, development and the integration of their young players into the pennant races in lieu of high cost, high risk, short-term investments. "That's true," said Yankees GM Brian Cashman, who was out of the Teixeira or Gagne sweepstakes at the mention of one of the Yankees' top pitching prospects, Joba Chamberlain. "We value the stability some organizations can create through scouting and development," added Red Sox GM Theo Epstein.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast