Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Cantu

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Reds acquire Cantu

Fox just said the Reds got Cantu from TB...but they weren't sure what the Reds gave up...trying to find a link.

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

Re: Reds acquire Cantu

Word is Calvin Medlock and Brian Shackleford. Ugh.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Medlock could have been good for us in the pen in the future. What do we want Cantu for? Replacement for Conine/Hatteberg? Votto going to LF? Dunn out?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Cantu's number's in AAA:

.244/.303/.356/.659

That is pretty disgusting. What do we want this chode for?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I Cantu was good in 2005 and showed some promise but injuries slowed him up quite a bit. Maybe Krivsky sees someone that is being given up on too soon?

I just hate to lose Medlock for him. Perhaps Wayne is making a move to make a move and call it good. Pretty much not wanting to hit the deadline with nothing. Hopefully in this case nothing isn't better.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    I Cantu was good in 2005 and showed some promise but injuries slowed him up quite a bit. Maybe Krivsky sees someone that is being given up on too soon?
    No, Cantu is a fluke. Maybe Cantu and Julio Lugo were sharing needles back in 2005.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Good point, I wouldn't doubt it for a second. Many players have fallen off since 2005. This just makes it harder for a GM to judge real talent.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Call me crazy, many do, but I don't mind this move. I am not the biggest fan of Medlock (I like him, just not as much as most) and Cantu won't wow with OBP skills but if he can find his power stroke again, which could happen being in GABP, I think this is a fine move for potential alone. Then again if this is a precursor to Dunn being gone, I'll pass on this anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Cantu can play SS and 3B too if I recall correctly. I think he played a little 2B for Team Mexico in the Baseball Classic as well. Perhaps a utility role? Perhaps a replacement for EdE? Perhaps, like mentioned before, Votto goes to LF next year and Cantu plays 1B?

Either way, I like all of our options that we currently have on an offensive standpoint over Cantu. But like mission said, it didn't cost us much more than the next Jared Burton/Brad Salmon.

I have learned to trust Krivsky on knowing talent (see Brandon Phillips). So maybe this is another low cost move that becomes really good for us. Time will tell of course.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Anyone know off hand Cantu's salary and for how long?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Anyone know off hand Cantu's salary and for how long?
    as far as I can tell, this is only his 3rd year with any MLB time. He made $355,800 last year supposedly...whatever it is this year, I can't imagine it being too much more. I'm not 100% sure though.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

This very well could be the next Brandon Phillips move. Although, his defense by all accounts is pretty cruddy. The Devil Rays supposedly have given up on him at 2B and have tried him in the OF, I think this is at best (for the organization) bench power from first and at worst, if Votto doesn't catch on, a 1B potential solution should he fail.

It's probably a worthwhile gamble. Shackleford never seemed amazing in the majors and Medlock, while seemingly having great RP potential, is just that, an RP prospect and not a top tier one either.

Cantu's probably not going to deliver, but he is only 25 years old and he has some very good comparable players. His decline from 2005 could just be like Jhonny Peralta's mess of a 2006...or it could be a permanent decline. You obviously can't like the minor league stats even if his patience was slightly improved, but it's a worthwhile shot to take
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Another thing to keep in mind is that Cantu has dealt with a few injuries since playing in the World Baseball Classic (IE, the play he had after the 2005 season of 28 homers) and has been frustrated with the Devil Rays by being sent down. A change of scenery could be all he needs, or he could be a total space of a roster and we're out a potentially semi-good reliever at the worst.

Also the Reds got outfielder prospect Shaun Cumberland who I don't know a terrible amount about but I have heard of him, which has to be semi-good.

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

Cumberland's a career minor leaguer.

I don't mind this move if it is a precursor for something else. If not, it doesn't make much sense.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast