View Poll Results: Reds winning; good or bad thing?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good to see this team show life

8 72.73%
  • Bad; we could use a top draft pick and Mackanin and Krivsky are looking too good right now

3 27.27%

Thread: Reds sweep the Braves/Good thing or bad?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds sweep the Braves/Good thing or bad?

The Reds beat the Braves after a 15 inning battle earlier today. This win completed a sweep which is extremely rare to see on the positive side for these Reds this season. Has Mackanin changed the tempo of this team this much? I truly hope he is not tricking us into doing what is better for the team until he secures a job and then does what he fells like doing (sounds all too familiar.)

So the Reds have started to win games. I have said it before and I will say it again. I think it only hurts this team to win. All you are doing is dropping down the draft pick ladder and conserving the careers of Mackanin and Krivsky (which I haven't decided if either are all that bad yet.)

So what do you think? Is it good to see this team winning? And if you think so, please explain why. I would like to read any thoughts on this. Maybe you cn pursuade me.

MLB ERA

Re: Reds sweep the Braves/Good thing or bad?

Good.

It's pretty simple for me: I want the team to win and I think it will in no way prevent a quality search for the BEST manager from happening.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA

It's always a good thing when a team gets sweep. Once again Smoltz couldn't get a win because of lack of run support.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

AAA ERA

this is what has screwed us in the past, we have such a horrible start, that we pack it in, only to have a 2nd half surge screw us in the end because we have no chance of making it..

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NFLman2033 View Post
    this is what has screwed us in the past, we have such a horrible start, that we pack it in, only to have a 2nd half surge screw us in the end because we have no chance of making it..

Just the opposite of this has happened the past few years except 2005. I think we had many injuries that year, but last year we were 50-45 on this date. The Reds were in it all the way up until the west coast colapse last year. If I recall right 2004 was better at the start as well. The Reds have started strong the past few years minus 1 only to fall out of it after the All-Star Break.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redram38 View Post
    Just the opposite of this has happened the past few years except 2005. I think we had many injuries that year, but last year we were 50-45 on this date. The Reds were in it all the way up until the west coast colapse last year. If I recall right 2004 was better at the start as well. The Reds have started strong the past few years minus 1 only to fall out of it after the All-Star Break.
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    ok, so when i said past, maybe i should have just said.. 2005 and 2000

2005 Jul 3 (31-50) that is 19 games below .500 - finished (73-89) 15 games below.. so that means they were playing .383 ball at the exact halfway point.. then for the 2nd half of the season (42-39) .519, we turned in a great 2nd half for nothing.

2000 Jul 4 (40-41) .494 first half finished (85-77) that is (45-36) 2nd half .555 winning percentage, but still 10 games out of it.. so needless to say even though we had a great 2nd half it was too late.

or how about 96,97,98

1998 Jun 26 - First half (32-49) .395 finished (77-85) that is 2nd half (45-36) .556

1997 Jul 1 - First half (35-46) .432 finished (76-86) that is a 2nd half of (41-40) .506

1996 Jul 6 - First half (39-42) . 481 finished (81-81) that is a 2nd half of (42-39) .519

if i had said.. this has what has always screwed us in the past, then you could point out that it only happed 5 times in the past 10 seasons... or that it has only happend 2 times in the past 6 seasons.. my point was that it has happend to us in the past before.. I mean if i had only been a fan of the Reds since 2001.. then i would have had no idea, but since i have been a fan since 89.. i tend to remember these things

but i will point out that 2005.. it was what gave us false hope in Narron..

my point is that we have had a history in the past of having good or great 2nd halfs when we were already out of it.