Thread: Another milestone for Griffey

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Another milestone for Griffey

ATLANTA -- Reds right fielder Ken Griffey Jr. become the 84th player in Major League history to collect 2,500 hits when he hit a first-inning single vs. the Braves on Wednesday afternoon.
    Facing Atlanta's John Smoltz with two outs in a scoreless game, the left-handed Griffey got a defensive shift playing for him to pull. Instead, he went the opposite field and slapped an easy base hit on the ground into left field and extended his hitting streak to four games.

A 13-time All-Star, the 37-year-old Griffey hit career home run No. 587 Monday night to move past Frank Robinson for sixth place on the all-time list.
    Congrats to The Kid. What a season he's having!
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Another milestone for Griffey

Anyone think he will play long enough to get 3,000? Saw something interesting on Griffey vs Bonds today. At Griffey's age now vs Bonds when he was the exact age, Griffey has more hits and home runs. Now, Griffey will not be using steroids to prolong his career but could he chase Bonds' soon to be record?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Another milestone for Griffey

I don't think so. Griffey's body is bound to break down sooner or later, as Bonds's would have if he didn't take steroids IMO. 600 HRs should be easy but I don't think he'll have that type of late-career surge.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.