Thread: Trouble Dealing Dunn?

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

Trouble Dealing Dunn?

Little blurb from the Enquirer:

"DEALING DUNN: The Reds' efforts to deal Adam Dunn have been met with some underwhelming offers.

Things could pick up as the non-waiver deadline nears. The Reds might face what the Washington Nationals did last year with Alfonso Soriano. The Nationals held on to Soriano and ended up getting draft picks for him.

If the Reds reject the $13 million club option for Dunn for 2008, he becomes a free agent."

I guess that confirms that we're definitely shopping him...however, if the offers have been so bad, screw it - pick up Dunn's option and sign him long-term.

I do expect the offers to get better and better, as there's not many names as big as Dunn's out there to be had.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Trouble Dealing Dunn?

The trade market could be an awful one for a team like our's. Both Dunn and Buerhle aren't going to get the offers like they would had this been 1997 instead of 2007. If the Reds can't match his value, they need to keep them as you mentioned as we're better off with Dunn than a group of middling players who don't even match his value.

Personally I wouldn't deal Dunn unless we got a super prospect or two high class AA or better prospects, both of which I doubt would ever happen.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

I would not think the offers would be great for Dunn. he strikes out to much, is a Bad Fielder and from what we have seen not to good in the clutch. He may have better luck with an American Leauge team because of the DH. He seems to have streaks. He can be awesome for a strech and then be down right Pathetic like he was last year late in the season. And tell me this. Does anyone here want Dunn at the plate with 1 out and the tying or winning run on third ? That is what he needs to overcome if we are going to get top offers for him. Just my opinion I know but that is how I see him.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Personally I wouldn't deal Dunn unless we got a super prospect or two high class AA or better prospects, both of which I doubt would ever happen.
    That is my exact stance and has been throughout this debacle. The last thing I want to do is to keep him for this year and not use the team option to resign him and we lose him. All we would get is a type A draft pick next year. Is that worth Dunn?

We have to trade him or sign him long-term. Dunn, Hamilton, Bruce left to right. Sounds great to me.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redram38 View Post
    I would not think the offers would be great for Dunn. he strikes out to much, is a Bad Fielder and from what we have seen not to good in the clutch. He may have better luck with an American Leauge team because of the DH. He seems to have streaks. He can be awesome for a strech and then be down right Pathetic like he was last year late in the season. And tell me this. Does anyone here want Dunn at the plate with 1 out and the tying or winning run on third ? That is what he needs to overcome if we are going to get top offers for him. Just my opinion I know but that is how I see him.
    man be careful, i have been saying that for a long time and i usually get flamed

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NFLman2033 View Post
    man be careful, i have been saying that for a long time and i usually get flamed
    I don't mind being flamed, I just call it like I see it. I have been a Dunn fan but also see him for what he is. And if he was as great as many make him out to be, the offers would be flooding in for him.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

What you have to do with Dunn is prioritize what you want to make of this. Dunn may make things difficult if he finds a thirst for that big free agent type money. Just look at all the would-be free agents resigning with their current teams. Then tell yourself how high on the list will Dunn be for many GMs this winter. Dunn isn't dumb and may see it as a better deal for himself not to resign with the Reds unless the money is equal to what he would get elsewhere. (That I know would never happen.)

The priority list for Dunn:

1) Trade him for two bigtime prospects
    2) Trade him for a super prospect
    3) Resign him long term
    4) Let him opt for free agency and garner a draft pick

If Krivsky lets option 4 become the case, I would feel like he didn't do his job. The other three may be tougher, but you have to work to get what you want. You have to get it done for the better of the team.