Thread: Stanton up; Salmon down

MLB ERA

Stanton up; Salmon down

Today the Reds returned from a rehabilitation assignment and reinstated from the 15-day disabled list LHP Mike Stanton; optioned to Louisville RHP Brad Salmon.

Stanton has been on the DL since June 17 with a strained left hamstring.

-Per the Reds

Stanton got crushed in Dayton and Salmon has promise and is younger. Of course he gets sent down.

When will it end?
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Stanton up; Salmon down

I know I am in the minority, but I would rather have Stanton here because while he has been a letdown... at least he can throw more than one pitch with some competence. Salmon's fastball at times isn't even all that impressive yet he goes to it nearly everytime, if he can mix it up with some variety that he develops in AAA, it would be for the best IMO as he can relax more when throwing off-speed stuff being in the minors.

MLB ERA

At least Salmon HAS a fastball.

I guess with Stanton we need to hope the defense comes through a lot.

And keeping Ricky Stone over Salmon is a crime. He's wretched and was last time he was up a couple years ago.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yep, Stone doesn't deserve to be on this roster at all. Stanton, at select times mind you, can be effective and if we can trade him at the right moment... we could at least get rid of his salary as the return wouldn't matter.

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

Season that Salmon in AAA. He's not getting any better up here. I'd rather see him develop his other pitches down there and build some confidence.

As for Stanton - why not? Think of it this way - lots of appearances for Stanton will virtually guarantee us the #1 overall draft pick next year. We've got absolutely nothing else to play for in 07.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.