0 0%
  • Other (Specify)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is your choice for manager?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Who is your choice for manager?

If Castellini actually throws out the money (which he has stated he will) who is the best fit for this team?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Who is your choice for manager?

Ozzie Guillen's managerial record:
    2004 .512
    2005 .611
    2006 .556
    2007 .444

2005 AL manager of the year. Very controversial because he speaks his mind very loudly. But he gets the job done as well.

Stuff he says that makes me like him:
    "This is not the Instructional League. This is a game to win. If he is not playing well, I will put somebody else out there."–on Jerry Owens
    "I know they're hungry about pitching (meaning baseball in general), but there won't be too many people (out of the Sox bullpen) that have a job next year. With the kind of arms we have, I don't think we should be struggling the way we do as a bullpen, no way."– on the bullpen.
    "He's unreliable, there's no doubt. Now he has a different injury. It's not his legs, now it's [his] side. It's important for a ballclub to have a guy like him. But when you can't count on a guy day in and day out, it makes it hard."– on Scott Podsednik.
    Talk about holding people accountable. He does it to the utmost. He also seems like one who would speak up if not given the talent needed to win. I really like Guillen as a possibility.

Pete Mackanin. We all know his story so I won't get into it. Seems like a funny guy and one who could be a decent manager at the big league level. But we need something from outside of the organization. This team needs to quit trying to find the next good manager and just go get one who is already proven.

Joe Girardi's managerial record:
    2006 .481

2006 NL manager of the year

Brought a team coming off a firesale to a place of contention. Not a winning record but one hell of a job for such an inexperienced team. Girardi would be a great way to go if the Reds have a firesale.

Girardi is known for doing things by the book. He prepares his team and himself through log books with reports on how to approach every hitter in the league. Something that could help the pitching staff greatly. Girardi is a young firey manager who would do wonders for this Reds team.

Turn 2

I put my two cents in with my vote of Tony Larussa. It most likely will not happen, but he is a guy I can see turning this team around.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

LaRussa may have a shot because he has former ties with Castellini. I am not familiar with why he is or may be leaving the Cardinals though. Anyone know the story on him and Jocketty?

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Ray Knight.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32 View Post
    Ray Knight.
    Have you lost your mind? Nah, I sense the sarcasm, I just got sick when I read it.

Turn 2

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    LaRussa may have a shot because he has former ties with Castellini. I am not familiar with why he is or may be leaving the Cardinals though. Anyone know the story on him and Jocketty?
    I haven't heard anything really confirmed on Larussa, but just a hunch it may have something to do with the Cards having a tough year. IMO that is not Larussa's fault at all. He has had to work with a patchworked pitching staff all season long.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

On that list, only Johnson, Torre (which is never going to happen, Torre will end being a Yankee one way or another), or Mackanin (not that it's my pick per se, but he deserves a fair shot.) Ozzie would probably get on my nerves and I really don't know enough about his style (other than the 15 or 20 games I've seen with him at the helm), but he would be a maybe. Hatcher could be a coach one day, but not today. The rest of the list I really don't want anything to do with.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Not a Girardi fan?

Looks like many of us have a difference of opinion here. Look at the poll and see how many have been voted for. Only Girardi has been voted for twice and 4 other managers once. Interesting...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Girardi wants way too much control for my liking and I think Krivsky is not the type to let that go easily. Not to mention, while what he did with the Marlins was pretty surprising and a true showing of some talent... it's not like he had a roster full of bums on there either, they are some young and talented guys in Florida due to their salary dumps.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yes having DTrain, Cabrera, Ramirez, and Uggla definitely helps. But you can't help but think he would be able to do the same with Harang, Bailey, EdE, Phillips, Hamilton, Votto and Bruce.

A losing record will not get it done but this team next year will have more talent than the Marlins did in 2006 and he would be managing in arguably an easier division.

I definitely do not know a lot about why he was released after the 06 season and maybe that would open my eyes. So some reading up on that will help. But right now I can't help but think he is a very good candidate.

MLB ERA

I would go with Joe Girardi for what he did with the Marlins.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Only Johnson(voted for him), Torre or MAYBE Guillen on that list. As mission said, maybe Hatcher at a later date.

Sweet Lou would be a top choice along with Johnson and Torre but isn't on the table of course.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    Only Johnson(voted for him), Torre or MAYBE Guillen on that list. As mission said, maybe Hatcher at a later date.

Sweet Lou would be a top choice along with Johnson and Torre but isn't on the table of course.
    You and I are the only Johnson votes. Sweet Lou would rank with me as well.

MLB ERA

Yeah, I really hope Castellini isn't thinking "name" manager and just picks someone like Brenly because he's a recognizable name.

I also worry someone like him will make some dumb comments to Castellini and Krivsky about how he likes players who "play the game the right way" or some form of that and that will be get him the job. Ugh.

I am hopeful but fearful at the same time about this search.

Fingers crossed.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast