0 0%
  • Other (Specify)

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is your choice for manager?

Motivational Speaker
    Rookie ERA

Re: Who is your choice for manager?

I haven't voted because I'm not sure I want to put my money on just 1 horse yet. Unlike many others, I'm not going to cross Mac off the list just because he is relatively unknown and unproven at the Major League level. Using this logic, a certain HOF manager whose name rhymes with Sparky Anderson would have never gotten the opportunity to captain the BRM in the 70's. Everyone thought Bob Howsam was off his rocker when he hired Sparky, but, as George Grande loves to say, "We know his story.."
    I'm not concerned with the name - I just want it to be the right guy.

We have to keep in mind that this is only part of the overall equation. This team has some glaring player needs that have to be fixed before ANY manager could succeed with it.
    Better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it!

"You're gonna end up livin' on a steady diet of government cheese and livin' in a van down by the river!" Matt Foley - motivational speaker.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

No question Davey Johnson for the reasons I posted in another thread. The guy just "gets it".

Girardi was up there until I heard more on the guy, now he is better than chopped liver but not in my top 3 for sure. No facial hair policy is lame, these guys are ballplayers not CEO's where's the common sense in it? But since that's the way Steinbrenner does it, ughh!

Guillen is too much of a noisemaker! Now that's fine when it's needed, but sometimes he talks too much for the good of his team. I imagine alot of them don't like him, and furthermore don't even respect him. That's not the way to have sustained success IMO.

Brenly I'm on the fence about, I don't know alot about him. But I have yet to hear a convincing argument backed by facts of why not hire him.

Torre IMO wouldn't come him for any reason at this point, so I don't even consider him a possibility. Even if he were canned why wouldn't just take a yr or 2 away if not retire all together.

LaRussa, ehh he does get results with what he's got I'll give him that much. And he would likely come to Cincy with Dave Duncan attached so that's a plus. But man his arrogance sometimes can be overwhelming and his constant tinkering can sometimes prove irritating. Could you imagine his conversations with Marty prior to games on the Managers comments? Marty can't stand the Man.

Mackanin right now sits firmly at # 2 for me. mainly because I don't know enough about Brenly personally or LaRussa's possible availability. But that could change we'll see.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TStuck View Post
    I haven't voted because I'm not sure I want to put my money on just 1 horse yet. Unlike many others, I'm not going to cross Mac off the list just because he is relatively unknown and unproven at the Major League level. Using this logic, a certain HOF manager whose name rhymes with Sparky Anderson would have never gotten the opportunity to captain the BRM in the 70's. Everyone thought Bob Howsam was off his rocker when he hired Sparky, but, as George Grande loves to say, "We know his story.."
    I'm not concerned with the name - I just want it to be the right guy.

We have to keep in mind that this is only part of the overall equation. This team has some glaring player needs that have to be fixed before ANY manager could succeed with it.
    Very good point. I was upset to hear Mackanin initially just because I think us baseball fans fear the unknown more so than fans of other sports, but after his press conference and some of the moves he has made... he has shown potential and if he keeps it up, I would hope the management would consider him for another coaching role on staff. Everyone has to start somewhere and while he might not be choice number one in the end, which I don't think he will be when we know all available options, I would certainly take him over a few on the list.

Bobby Valentine.....period.
    Check out the new pic... This kid is the 1st pick in the 2022 baseball amateur draft.
    His 1st bobblehead night will be in Dayton 2023!!
    Mark it Down!!!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Bobby Valentine.....period.

I wonder if we may be fooled into liking Mackanin right now because of the "anything is better than Narron" feel we have inherited. We see him doing things a bit differently, but a few things the same.

Frankly, I don't want to have a manager that feels like Javy Valentin is a catcher and that Castro should ever get a start. Ever. I fear we will be having to complain about this far too much with him and that we would be back to square one.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Valentin is servicable as a catcher if sparringly used and not brought in to be a defensive replacement. I would rather have a manager that see's Valentin contributing more than a Moeller did, despite defensive shortcomings. As for Castro, that's Wayne K's call. Castro has a hefty contract for his worth and I am sure it's not as easy to tell Kriv to send him down in favor of Keppinger if instead he was making the major league minimum like he should be.

At this point, it's far to early to make calls on Mackanin either way. 2-1 record, both good and poor moves and he is coming into a situation that is still covered with Narron's fingerprints.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If Davey Johnson earned the trust of Reds fans during his managerial tenure, then I won't argue that he should be the favorite. My main complaint about Davey is that he wanted to make player personnel decisions, and when he got the opportunity to do so, they backfired. Maybe he has mellowed out after several years, I don't know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12