Thread: Get ready to cringe... Brenly is interested in being the Cincy manager

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Get ready to cringe... Brenly is interested in being the Cincy manager

Brenly interested in Reds vacancy
    Former D-backs skipper would like to talk about manager job
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Count Bob Brenly among those that might be interested in the vacant Reds manager's job.

The name of the former Diamondbacks manager and current Cubs television analyst surfaced as a potential successor to Jerry Narron, who was dismissed Sunday as Cincinnati's manager.

"It's all rumors. I haven't heard anything from anybody," Brenly said Wednesday.

Don't expect Brenly to screen his calls, however, should Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky be on the other end of the phone.

"I'd be interested in talking," said Brenly, a Coshocton, Ohio, native and 1976 graduate of Ohio University.

Brenly had a 303-262 record as Arizona's manager from 2001-04 and led his club to a World Series title his first season in the dugout. The 53-year-old has been a Cubs broadcaster on WGN-TV for the past three seasons.

Pete Mackanin currently serves as interim manager and is a candidate for the permanent job. Former Marlins manager Joe Girardi, also working in television this season, has also been rumored as a potential contender.

Krivsky has set no timetable for how long the managerial search would take.
    The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Major League Baseball News

I know next to nothing about Mackanin and I would prefer him over Brenly. Brenly is so old school he makes Narron look like one of the most extreme saber related formulas that even the biggest stat head can't buy into.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Get ready to cringe... Brenly is interested in being the Cincy manager

mwahahahahahahahaahahahaahah
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Supposedly John Fay has reported that the Reds are interested in him as well. UGH

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Per John Fay:

An ownership source confirmed that the Reds will go after the big-name managers available and already have had preliminary contact with candidates.
    The source said money will not prevent the team from pursuing anyone - even if player payroll has to be adjusted slightly to compensate.
    The source said Girardi, 42, already had been contacted. He was manager of the year with Florida last season.
    The Reds have not contacted Brenly yet, but he is on their list. Brenly, 53, is from Coshocton, Ohio, and played at Ohio University. He has told friends he'd be interested in the job.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Bob Brenly is so old school he makes Lou Piniella cry.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Brenly points to absolute insanity:

Womack's OBP in AZ with Brenly as the Skipper
    2001 - .307
    2002 - .325
    2003 - .270

Games Brenly Bat Womack leadoff
    2001 - 73 of 125
    2002 - 98 of 153
    2003 - 37 of 61

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    If Brenly's the guy I just gotta say....

Can we have Narron back?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I am starting to get worried about this whole "big name" thing. Yes, I want a proven manager like everyone else does. Brenly won a championship, so he ranks up there, right? Wrong.

I truly hope BCast and Krivsky hold a great interview with these candidates and see just where their thoughts on strategy and philosophy are with this team.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

An Ohio guy who has won something and will come cheap (interest in him since being let go has been virtually non-existent.) This is a worse idea than a prequel to Dumb and Dumber as teenagers.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

I gotta go with Davey Johnson, take a look. This is assuming of course that he would even have any interest in Managing again. I have no idea if he would or not. I will say this he does have a track record of going where the money is being spent. NYM, Cincy (when we used to pay), Baltimore and L.A.

1984-2000

By the #'s

14 seasons he managed
    4 different teams
    2039 games mng.
    1148 wins
    888 losses
    .564 winning %
    4 Different Seasons w/ a .600+ winning%

Finished 1st or 2nd in his division 12 out of 14 times (1st 5 times)
    Finished 3rd once
    Finished 5th once (fired 42 games into 1990 w/ a 20-22 record)

1 WS Championship

How can you not like that?

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Major League Baseball News

I know next to nothing about Mackanin and I would prefer him over Brenly. Brenly is so old school he makes Narron look like one of the most extreme saber related formulas that even the biggest stat head can't buy into.
    i doubt he goes to cincy. he's got a good gig in the booth right now (and very lucrative too, higher than stone was ever making) and it will take more than that to get him out of the announcers booth.

he didnt say he was interested in the job. what he DID say is that hes interested in talking and that he would listen if talked to. He would be an absolute idiot not to. Theres a world of difference. anyone in any career field is interested in talking when prospective calls coming in. thats just common sense.

all that being said, I agree with y'all that he wouldnt be a good manager for most of the aforementioned reasons.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post

Womack's OBP in AZ with Brenly as the Skipper
    2001 - .307
    2002 - .325
    2003 - .270

Games Brenly Bat Womack leadoff
    2001 - 73 of 125
    2002 - 98 of 153
    2003 - 37 of 61
    I don't totally agree with this, here's why.

1st I will put up this disclaimer, I am not disagreeing with anyone on Brenly I don't have much ground to stand on to do that as I didn't watch him manage that club except for a few brief examples.

But I have to question how bad he really was? Just playing Devil's advocate here but a few points.

The example for him not being a good choice due to him batting Womack in the leadoff spot isn't that damning an argument. I agree his OBP in that leadoff spot wasn't that wonderful but who else did he have?

I see Jay Bell on the roster and although he had good OBP he was clearly no longer a great baserunner. Also he was no longer a SS at the time. Andy Fox was their other SS and he was clearly not an everyday SS. He could have used Craig Counsell but it appears they were busy using him all accross the IF and his OBP% in '01 vs. RHP was .339 (.349 in '02) only slightly higher than Womack's but nowhere near the SB threat (6 SB's, CS 8 times).

Also it appears Womack was used primarily as a platoon leadoff hitter as he hit 7th, 8th or 9th in 47 of the other 52 games he played (4 games in the 2nd hole). And his OBP was the following vs. RHP in those years.

2001 - .325
    2002 - .340
    2003 - .243 (He was then subsequently dealt July 18th)

He just came off of back to back 40+ SB seasons (72 in '99 & 45 in '00), so I could see where it would be expected that he may continue to do so. So if I had a guy who was my everyday SS and no one to replace him he was getting on base about 1/3rd of the time vs. RHP and could completely disrupt the rythym of the pitcher and defense why wouldn't you bat him leadoff?

Now that said in 2001 he only swiped 28 bases (caught 7 times) so perhaps you look to replace him in the offseason if you think he has lost "it", but that's not Brenly's decision. And if Brenly starts '02 with Womack as his everyday SS he pretty much has no choice but to use him. And as you can see he did better in '02 (.340 OBP% vs RHP and 29 SB's) for what Brenly wanted out of him. So now you start to consider whether he is in your future plans as his CS #'s were up a bit (CS 12 times in '02). In '03 his drop was very steep and they got rid of him.

So I submit that although he may not have been an ideal lead-off hitter in those years he was the best he had and he used him as effectively as he could.

Again don't mistake all I have wrote for trying to disprove any stance that Brenly isn't a guy we shoud hire, but just saying that I would need something with more teeth to buy into it.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I gotta go with Davey Johnson, take a look. This is assuming of course that he would even have any interest in Managing again. I have no idea if he would or not. I will say this he does have a track record of going where the money is being spent. NYM, Cincy (when we used to pay), Baltimore and L.A.

1984-2000

By the #'s

14 seasons he managed
    4 different teams
    2039 games mng.
    1148 wins
    888 losses
    .564 winning %
    4 Different Seasons w/ a .600+ winning%

Finished 1st or 2nd in his division 12 out of 14 times (1st 5 times)
    Finished 3rd once
    Finished 5th once (fired 42 games into 1990 w/ a 20-22 record)

1 WS Championship

How can you not like that?
    I am a fan of Davey as well, especially since he seems to have a knack, at least sometimes, being able to go to a situation and turn it around. Folks here in Cincy obviously liked him so it would help fan interest and I think for that reason we could have an actual shot of luring him back.

I would want the Reds to play the field to see all what's out there, but compared to Girardi, Brenly, etc (some of the rumored names).... I am for Davey.