Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Official Quick Thought Thread

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds The Official Quick Thought Thread

Are Krivsky and Castellini concentrated on the manager problem so much that potential trades will be neglected?

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Re: The Official Quick Thought Thread

I think it will have to do with how they play in the next week or so. If they come alive then maybe there won't be a firesale. What I hope does not happen is we play just well enough to where they think this new manager is the one and sign him. We need to dump some of the old guys and play the youth. I think Homer getting beat now is much better than him getting beat next year. If I remember right when Glavine first came up with the Braves he was killed, but he learned how to pitch to big leauge hitters. We all know the rest of the story. Smoltz was the same way. I for one would like to see Dunn dealt as long as we get good players in exchange. Stanton has got to go. I like Hattenburg, he seems to be one of the one guys right now that is still playing with fire. Castro needs to go. We have to get better bench players. When you have to pinch hit with guys like Castro and Mueller you may as well let the pitcher bat, it is about the same. I know Mueller is gone and that is a good move.
    ALSO and a big one at that. Freel should not start more that Hamilton. If this happens I may just jump off a bridge. Last nights game was a prime example. He swings at the first pitch on his first 2 at bats and pops out. When he took some pitches he was able to beat out an infield hit and that turned out to be huge in the game. Just my opinions here but this is what I think

MLB ERA

My thoughts about Mackanin take a hit today, per Trent's blog:

Here's the Reds lineup, I'll get you the Giants in a sec, all I know so far is that certain player with an extraordinarily large cranium is not in the lineup

For the Redlegs:
    Hatteberg 1b
    Phillips 2b
    Griffey rf
    Dunn lf
    Encarnacion 3b
    Hamilton cf
    Valentin c
    Castro ss
    Belisle p

Pete said he was going to use Valentin to catch much more, because his bat is needed in the lineup. "He's an untapped resource that we're not using enough," Mackanin said.

Pete was great before the game, very funny and entertaining. He started off by saying it was part of his contract that he wasn't supposed to manage a day game after a night game.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA

Castro starting and his comment about using Valentin more. He doesn't hit THAT well and I think his catching is atrocious. Not good at all.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Last night Mackanin said Conine was his favorite player, until Phillips hit the grand slam. Then Phillips was his favorite player.

Why Conine? He was 0 for 2 before the Phillips slam. Castro starting today? I swear Castro is loved by every manager. What is the deal?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Gonzo being seated because of his lack of hustle last night on the pop out?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Is Jerry Narron lucky now that he doesn't have to deal with Krivsky and Castellini? Or are Krivsky and Castellini lucky not to have to deal with Narron anymore?

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Gonzo being seated because of his lack of hustle last night on the pop out?
    He did re-surface later, didn't he?! I'd have to say that's what happened.

Also more on Javy, from John Fay's blog!

One of the things Pete Mackanin said he is going to try to do is catch Javy Valentin more.

"He'll get better defensively," Mackanin said. "He's no Johnny Bench, but his bat is a valuable asset."

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Just someone to consider if Jr and Dunn get dealt for next year in LF or RF. Check it out it's a good read.

Kosuke Fukudome #'s:

Players - Kosuke Fukudome

His story:
    Kosuke Fukudome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kosuke Fukudome - OF (Not To Be Posted in ‘05)
    Team: Chunichi Dragons
    DOB:4-26-77 Exp: 7 yrs.
    Ht: 5’11” Wt: 187
    B/T: L/R
    Stats:142 G, .328/.430/.590, 28 HR, 39-2B, 13 SB, 93 BB, 128 K

In 2002, Fukudome’s .343 batting average was tops in the league and his 186 hits that same year set a team record. Formerly a shortstop, Fukudome has won multiple Gold Gloves and was selected to the Best Nine in 2002 and 2003. He broke his finger getting hit by a pitch just weeks before the Dragons were to go to the 2004 Japan Series and did not play.

So this year he set a goal to play in every game, falling just four games short (142 of 146). In 2005, the Dragons’ right fielder led the league in doubles and OBP, and placed second triples with six.

Fukudome is pronounced Fu-ku-do-ma, though the American players during the last MLB All-Star tour had much fun with how it looks on paper. They also enjoyed his demonstration of power. Kosuke will not be coming to the U.S. this year ('06), and almost certainly not next year ('07). When he does come ('08) he may be the best hitter that Japan has to offer. He could easily match Hideki Matsui’s Major League career. If your team needs a left-handed corner outfielder when he is available, hope that they make a play for him.

MLB Comp
    Midline: Raul Ibanez
    High: Hideki Matsui

When asked whether he had any interest in the Major Leagues on a television show in the 2006 off-season, Fukudome answered "It would be a lie to say I didn't. Playing in the World Baseball Classic increased my desire to play in the majors." Barring injuries, Fukudome will become a free agent in August, 2007, and he is certainly a player to watch for during the off-season. Some experts predict Fukudome will earn $12-15 million annually over three or four seasons. [1]
    I wouldn't be opposed to a 3 yr 45 million dollar contract, and because he will be a FA there should be no posting fee (No club owns his rights). I know a Japanese player coming to Cincy is fairly unlikely but they aren't opposed to getting paid and Akinori Iwamura went to Tampa Bay.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Fukudome sounds pretty good. Dude has numbers representative of a big time hitter. I would definitely go after him if Dunn is dealt. We are likely to have about 45 million this offseason. No joke. So, 15 million a year would not be that hard to come by right now. I would try and do a 2 year deal to give enough time for Bruce to develop and make the team in 2009 and perhaps take over for Griffey then.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

For some strange reason I feel like a trade will happen today.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Scary thought:

Buddy Bell is leaving KC. He is from Ohio and he would be cheep. Very nice guy who could ease his way into Krivsky's friendship list.

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

I always liked Buddy Bell as a player but have been underwhelmed on more than one occasion by his managerial acumen.

Fukome might be pretty good but, I do not want to blow a 45 mil load on a Japanese bat when pitching is and seemingly always will be our biggest opportunity to improve.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

MLB ERA

I like Mackanin's bullpen usage so far much more than Narron's. His overall switches/substitutions, etc. seem to make more sense.

I didn't care for Castro starting for obvious reasons. I don't like Valentin catching because of his poor game-calling and how he seems to make many of the pitchers uncomfortable(issues I've pointed out all year).

As I've said all year, I think Coutlangus has a lot of future promise. He's still learning.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I always liked Buddy Bell as a player but have been underwhelmed on more than one occasion by his managerial acumen.

Fukome might be pretty good but, I do not want to blow a 45 mil load on a Japanese bat when pitching is and seemingly always will be our biggest opportunity to improve.
    I get that for sure but we should be freeing up quite a bit of dough assuming Griffey and Dunn were dealt. Obviously if just one of those 2 stay, why even bother with FukUDoMe (pronounced Fu-ku-do-ma).

However I don't feel there will be much out there to choose from that we could entice to sign here and that would represent much of an upgrade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast