Thread: A new feeling? Or not yet...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

A new feeling? Or not yet...

So we get the first game in under Pete Mackanin and it ends up on the plus side for us. Did you guys see a difference in this ballclub tonight or was it too soon to tell? During tonight's game thread we talked about some of Mackanin's early mistakes. Is he just getting used to the team?

My thinking is that we are all probably so worried about getting a big name manager that it is very hard for us to respect much of what Mackanin is trying to do. I am right there with everyone in this line of thought. My saving grace is that Castellini was in the booth tonight and seemed adament in the idea of needing a manager to adjust what we have in a much better manner. I think Castellini is serious right now. He has come of to me as someone who is all talk because I am holding him to his first words to the fans on bringing championship baseball to Cincinnati.

So for any of you have lost your trust in him, take a look at what he has tried to do first. Then realize that he is at least trying and is sort of on the job training by learning from his mistakes. He realized Narron was a mistake and took care of it. He has allowed Krivsky to unload on some of his mistakes. So money has been lost at these trying matters and this team really has no way of showing where they are trying to be.

I believe they have a direction and the shoe hasn't fit right now. There are a lot of underperforming players right now and a good portion of that had to do with Narron type decisions over the course of a game. The entire organization sees a good team. We keep hearing that. Now we are hearing that we are going to get an effective leader.

If money isn't a concern for an owner, then we should have absolutely no reason to expect someone like LaRussa or Davey Johnson or Girardi to come in. Of course, that is if they even wanted the job. But Castellini is an expert in marketing, surely he could market this team for a good manager, right?

Whether that be allowing Krivsky to make some deals to bring in young future talent and free up money with the promise that said money would go into the team salary, you could show a manager and your fans that you are serious about your first statements all at the same time.

I have a new feeling about Castellini because I see him distraught and trying to work out kinks. Do you feel the same way?

MLB ERA

Re: A new feeling? Or not yet...

Castellini certainly SEEMS distraught, but he will prove just how serious he is based on what manager he brings in and what kind of rope he has Krivsky on if he does a bad job leading up to the trade deadline.

And caring is one thing...executing is another. I hope he knows enough about what improves teams to get the right guys in place AND allows them some financial flexibility.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

I am reassured by the fact that I think Cast is truly sincere about wanting to win.

However, I think the next 7 months will tell us a LOT about our future. Actions speak louder than words.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

I do truly believe that Bob C wants a winning team,after seeing his reactions during the press conference and in the booth last night.When Philips hit that slam you could hear that love and enthusiasm he has for the team.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Imagine if Lindner was in that booth and saw BP's slam. He probably would have said "Oh boy." and left it at that. Castellini has passion and I see it all over him. I am excited to see what he will do with that passion.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    I do truly believe that Bob C wants a winning team,after seeing his reactions during the press conference and in the booth last night.When Philips hit that slam you could hear that love and enthusiasm he has for the team.
    No question he was beside himself and boy did he need that! He was so angry the last few days in public, does anyone wonder how it's been this year for him?

The Reds are his passion and his business, talk about tough. Can you imagine watching this mess of a team and then have to go into work and see the faces of some of these guys. I bet he has a sculptered white mint in his office urinal in the mold of one Rheal Cormier and his infamous Schnozz!

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

And Baby Sheff is looking pretty good in his eyes when it come's contract time.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    And Baby Sheff is looking pretty good in his eyes when it come's contract time.
    BP is definitely the closest thing to Sheff there will ever be! No doubt it.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.