Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Narron fired; Mackanin interim manager

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Narron fired; Mackanin interim manager

Also, do you guys think this was the work of Krivsy trying to take the heat off of himself before it really gets going, sort of a diversion move? Or RCast sick of it all, especially after seeing us lose two of three from his team away from home, the Cardinals?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I think it may have been a diversion of sorts. I am not sure though. Part of me believes Krivsky wanted to keep him on and RCast and others had to step in after their patience wore off.

This is one of the reasons why I dislike Krivsky. But I don't dislike him enough to see him go. I want to keep Krivsky around for now. He has done some very bad things, and some good things as well. Maybe I just see him trying far more than O'Brien did and it counts for something. He does have a good scouts eye but is bad in the trade room.

We'll see what happens from this, but I really don't know about Krivsky for now.

From yahoo sports:

A source told PA SportsTicker that Joe Girardi, the 2006 National League Manager of the Year with the Florida Marlins, twice interviewed for the Reds job this past week but turned the position down because he would have had to retain some of the current coaching staff.

I don't think that's true about Girardi.With the shape this team's in,they better let him hire his own staff.But then again,this GM is starting to reek of Dan O.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    From yahoo sports:

A source told PA SportsTicker that Joe Girardi, the 2006 National League Manager of the Year with the Florida Marlins, twice interviewed for the Reds job this past week but turned the position down because he would have had to retain some of the current coaching staff.

This is the kind of stuff that would tick me off if true. Krivsky may have "his" guys, but they are obviously not working. Who would know more about how a pitching coach or a batting coach performs? A field manager who sees their performance on a daily basis, or a general manager who may see them perform once in a blue moon? If ever.

Girardi has no past with the coaches for the Reds (that I know of) but I bet he can see their weaknesses far greater than Krivsky can.

Not fighting for Girardi here, but his record as manager in Florida with a team that just went through a major firesale was amazing. He is one that could hopefully do the same things in Cincinnati.

So who is being protected on this coaching staff? It better not be Pole. That is all I have to say.

MLB ERA

Jerry leaves with class, per John Fay:

Jerry Narron, always the Southern gentleman, returned my call a few minutes ago. He was upbeat. Part of baseball like is getting fired. Here's what he said:

"As a baseball person, I appreciated the chance to manage the Cincinnati Reds. I can't tell you how much that meant to me. It's a great organization, it's a great city. The fans are great.

"I'm sorry our about record. I've said we're close to being a good ballclub. We were in every game. I'm disappointed we don't have a better record. I appreciate the effort of the players. They did not quit in the least bit. They battled when we'd get down. They never gave up."

"I appreciate the opportunity that Bob Castellini and Tom and Joe Williams gave me. They've been nothing be great to me."

Narron met with Wayne Krvisky after the game Sunday, and then with Bob Castellini.

"It's a critical period for the Reds -- the next six months," Narron said. "I hope Wayne Krivsky can get the job done. This club could go from worst to first. The nucleus is there. It just needs a little tweaking."

Narron said he'll eventually return home to North Carolina.

"I enjoyed my time here," he said. "I love the town. It's a great baseball town. I appreciate the support I've gotten from the fans."

Narron's brother, Johnny, is the club's video coordinator. Will he stay on?

"That's up to Johnny and Mr. Castellini," Narron said. "In no way, shape or form was he hired because he's my brother. He's one of the hardest workers we've got. I appreciate the effort of everyone on the coaching. I hope me getting fired doesn't affect them."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

C you there
    MLB ERA

na na na na
    na na na na
    hey hey hey
    good bye

MLB ERA

Narron to the DDN. Take particular note of his last sentence:

"I was told after the game," Narron said, adding that he was talking only to the Daily News and no other media. "They said they were going to try something different."

Narron, a lifetime baseball man with a passion for the game, is leaving with sadness but not with anger.

"It was very disappointing because I know this ball club can be very, very competitive," Narron added. "We were in nearly every game, we just couldn't seem to get it done. In that last month, we were given no chance to get better."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA

Chris Welsh on 1530 AM this morning:

"This team has an attitude problem....and has had one.

You can't have an environment where it's ok to get your butt whipped 11-2 and act like nothing happened...you can't go out and make three errors and act like it's ok...... you need a couple of stars to lead and set an example.

I don't think Jerry was hard enough on these guys....I think he needed to crack a whip rather than stroke them."

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

Nice guy, poor manager. Change needed to be made.

I hope it has been made abundantly clear to Pete Mackanin that he is an INTERIM manager. I do find it puzzling that neither Dent nor Hatcher was given the chance to run the table in 2007 and see how they do. Billy Hatcher would make an excellent manager, IMO.

The speculation about Girardi is also puzzling. If true, it does beg the question "Who is being protected?" Pole? Jacoby?? Too strange. Methinks that "source" was speaking out of his/her hindquarters. I'm not a big fan of Girardi anyway.

We've been cursed with poor managers for over a decade now. Let's freaking find a good one for a change.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Nice guy, poor manager. Change needed to be made.

I hope it has been made abundantly clear to Pete Mackanin that he is an INTERIM manager. I do find it puzzling that neither Dent nor Hatcher was given the chance to run the table in 2007 and see how they do. Billy Hatcher would make an excellent manager, IMO.

The speculation about Girardi is also puzzling. If true, it does beg the question "Who is being protected?" Pole? Jacoby?? Too strange. Methinks that "source" was speaking out of his/her hindquarters. I'm not a big fan of Girardi anyway.

We've been cursed with poor managers for over a decade now. Let's freaking find a good one for a change.
    Seeing the rumor JR's Boy posted... it does make some sense why they wouldn't give Hatcher or Dent the job if that is who they are protecting. Say they are interested in Girardi but they are holding to keeping one of those guys at the risk of not landing him, Krivsky would realize promoting one up would likely cause bad feelings when they send them down, especially if they are intent on hiring someone soon (AKA, not even giving them a fair chance.) Mackanin, from his role and limited experience, you think would only be taking this position as a favor to Krivsky to keep the seat warm.... or let's pray to God that it is indeed the case. Again, that is assuming the rumor is true.

AAA ERA

yeah i am pissed about the Girardi issue, i mean no offense to Dick Pole, Billy Hatcher and Brook Jacoby who I like, having them isn't helping us win games like a manager like Girardi would.. that is complete B.S. and continues to make me question why i continue to be a Reds fan when this organization makes stupid moves.. just like what mission said in 6 months Mackanin will be named the manager just like Narron and Miley were.. what a joke

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Just listened to the press conference: (watched on mlb.com)

Castelinni impressed me a bit with his opening:

"We haven't stopped trying, we won't stop trying."
    I still get the feeling he is far greater than the man he replaced. Lindner definitely stopped trying if he ever did try. I trust Castelinni in a big way. He definitely seemed troubled by the decision he made, but is willing to stand by it in order to make the team better. You can tell he knows it was the right thing to do regardless of how good a guy Narron is.

Krivsky broke down from moment one. He was really struggling with the mic today. Things I caught:

"From within the organization Pete Mackanin is that right choice."
    To me, this points out that Mackanin is only thought of as someone in an interim status. They just went with someone in the organization as a stop gap for now.

"It took me a while to come to this decision, I didn't take it lightly, I took it very seriously. Its my timetable, its my decision, I made it when I was comfortable making the decision."
    If you took it seriously, why did it take you so long to make this decision? To me, this utters Krivsky's biggest weakness. We wanted a people guy out of the field management positon, same should be said about thegeneral manager. Do not let emotions get in the way of sound decisions. Bad business there.

"Pete Mackanin said to me; Wayne I don't care if I am here for one day, two days, a week, I am here to support you."
    Good to know Mackanin is in the right state of mind here.

"I share in the responsibility in putting the team together. So a big part of me feels responsible."
    Good to see the Cormier and Coffey decisions have come in to haunt you.

"Myself and our staff, we're everyday trying to make this team better. The opportunities to make the team better have not been there this year like they were say last year when I first started. And I feel bad that I wasn't able to shore up the team enough for Jerry and the staff to work with. It bothers me, it really bothers me."
    Admitting it is part his fault as well. Learning experience for the young GM? One thing I am afraid of is his trying to save his job and making a move just to make a move and show he is trying to get better. I would hate to see Dunn traded for Rick White.

McCoy asked what it was that Narron did or didn't do to get fired.
    "It comes down to the performance of the team and I share in that. My job is to bring in talent and he does what he can with what is available to him. Sometimes you need a change for a change. Its the perception, the reality and I felt like we needed a change in the voice a change of maybe attitude or approach and based on the results we felt a change was needed in those areas."

Someone asked if the different approach and different voice is why he chose to go away from the current staff at least in the interim.
    "In the interim, I considered everyone in the organization. This is a guy that is under the radar, he is not the big name but for our needs right now and for someone in our organization (Mackanin) is the best guy for the job."
    John Fay asks if Mackanin's personality will fit better. Krivsky just said everyone is different but he thinks his personality willdo well for this team.

C Trent asks if the rest of the coaching staff will remain on board specifically Johnny Narron. Krivsky said he will have to get with Mackanin and they will make they will finalize everything in a short period of time. Time for some coaches to go? I doubt it if teh Girardi rumors are true. Someone is being protected and surely Mackanin has no say in the matter.

Fay asks if the Mackanin will remain for the rest of teh year or if they are going to try and hire a new manager for this year.
    "Its open ended John its an on going process. A week, two weeks, a month it just depends. We want to do our homework. The big step was just getting this decison done and moving on and going about it in a positive way a methodical way and a smart way."
    Daugherty asks what it was about the attitude and approach that they didn't likefrom Narron. Krivsky said he didn't want to get in specifics but the results speak for themselves. He said it wasn't entirely on Jerry, but it was on everyone including himself.

Someone named Jim asked if he is looking for someone who is more of a disciplinarian vs someone like Narron who was a player's manager.
    "Jerry can be passionate. That may be his outward persona to the average fan, but the man's got a ton of passion. Everybody shows their personality in different ways."

Someone asked Castelinni how involved he would like to be in the hiring process.
    "Very involved. If we don't get this thing worked out I might fire myself someday. VERY INVOLVED!" He sounded pissed off and looked the part as well here. That is the fire we need!

Someone asked Krivsky if this has been described to Mackanin as caretaking or will he be a candidate for the long term.
    "He knows what he's coming into. We've explained it to him. Here's the deal."
    Someone else jumped in and wanted something further but I didn't hear him but it was on the same topic and Krivsky said "absoultely, absolutely."

The rest was cut off from me. But there it is with some opinions of mine.

AAA ERA

nay.. its all smoke.. man if they really knew anything they would have known Narron wasn't the man for the job back when the season started.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Here's my view on all this, until Krivsky is gone none of this even matters. He hasn't done very well in making this a better team. Last year was a nice season as the Reds were right there in the division but did nothing to better a team that was 3.5 games out of first. That is uncalled for and should be grounds for termination.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast