Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Narron fired; Mackanin interim manager

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Narron fired; Mackanin interim manager

per rotowrold:

According to the Cincinnati Post, the Reds have fired manager Jerry Narron.

Former Pirates interim manager Pete Mackanin is expected to be named his interim replacement. It really was past time for Narron to go. The players and media seemed to like him, but his bullpen management was a real problem and he wasn't always good about putting his best lineup on the field. The move would seem to come too late to do much good for 2007, but the Reds still needed to move on.

Got alil captain in you?
    Rookie ERA

good move to hire mackanin it allows them to fully interview qualified candidates none of which are on the staff right now. Who will go with narron is the next question.

MLB ERA

From the Reds:

CINCINNATI - At a press conference at noon Monday at Great American Ball Park, Cincinnati Reds president and chief executive officer Bob Castellini and executive vice president and general manager Wayne Krivsky will announce Pete Mackanin as interim field manager for the remainder of the 2007 season.

Mackanin, 55, will replace Jerry Narron, whose Reds teams went 31-51 (.378) this season and 157-179 (.467) overall.

The club will have no comment until tomorrow's press conference in the field level interview room.

Mackanin (pronounced mah-CAN-in) will be introduced Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. in the field level interview room as the 59th manager in Reds history, the 49th since 1900.

He previously was in the organization from 1990-92, when he managed Class AAA Nashville in the American Association, and he rejoined the Reds in February 2006 as the Major League club's advance scout.

It will be Mackanin's second stint as an interim manager in the Major Leagues. In 2005 he managed the final 26 games for the Pittsburgh Pirates, who went 55-81 under Lloyd McClendon.

He spent 7 seasons on the Major League coaching staffs of the Montreal Expos (third base coach, 1997-2000) and Pirates (bench coach, 2003-05) and has 21 seasons of managerial experience in the minor leagues and winter leagues.

Mackanin managed in the minors for 13 years and produced 917 victories and league championships in 1995 (Ottawa, International League) and 2002 (Lynchburg, Carolina league). For 8 seasons he skippered winter ball clubs in Venezuela, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. In 1988, he led Aguilas del Zulia to Venezuelan League and Caribbean Series championships.

An infielder, Mackanin was selected by the Washington Senators in the fourth round of the June 1969 free-agent draft. In 9 Major League seasons he appeared in 548 games for the Texas Rangers, Expos, Philadelphia Phillies and Minnesota Twins.

He will wear uniform number 46.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I am wondering if this is the first of many moves to retool this club.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

ESPN reporting now...

MLB ERA

Looks like Reds fans are rejoicing with glee!

MLB ERA

i've been on the fire narron bandwagon for over a year now, and it couldn't come too late. it should be interesting for them to replace with a advanced scout lol.
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Reds Narron fired as Reds manager after loss to Cardinals

Just saw this at ESPN.COM I guess we all knew it was coming but I still gasped when I first read it. Sorry to ever see someone fired but we do have some good talent on this team yet we have the worst record in baseball. But you have to wonder how bad we would be with just an average Bullpen. It did not say who would step in for now but it will either be Dent or Hatcher IMO.

Sad day when your manager has to be fired before the All-Star break.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio181 View Post
    Looks like Reds fans are rejoicing with glee!

I am for sure. At least for now.

I do want to say this though, Narron was a nice guy with foolish decisions. I always feel bad when good people get fired, but "he is a baseball guy" supposedly and shouldn't be too far from a bench coach position somewhere.

Anyhow, hopefully Krivsky has learned from past mistakes made from this organization and all the high associates in the meetings should have this figured by now. I am hoping that the discussions were there and the decision has been made to put an effective leader in this clubhouse.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Re: Narron fired as Reds manager after loss to Cardinals

oops sorry I did not see the sticky feel free to delete this thread if you please

Re: Narron fired as Reds manager after loss to Cardinals

I know I was shocked...not b/c he sucks. But, b/c I didnt think old Wayne was smart enough to fire his ass. Good riddance.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Yep Krivsky hired him. He was hired on Feb 17th 2006.

On my birthday. This can't be good lol

never heard of a scout taking over a team. We must really have crappy coaches or Wayne is again showing why he needs to go as well.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Also, I wonder if Narron will be put in for a FO position because he stil has a year on his contract.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Also, I wonder if Narron will be put in for a FO position because he stil has a year on his contract.
    Unless they had a falling out, or this sparked said falling out, I would have to imaging e Krivksy would want to offer something to his buddy as a peace offering.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

So now what? Do we feel like this team has the talent without the leadership? If we get a solid manager, does this team have the talent to show positive signs for the future?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast