Thread: Ask Hal: Could the Reds convince Joe Morgan to take over as manager?

MLB ERA

Ask Hal: Could the Reds convince Joe Morgan to take over as manager?

Ask Hal on Baseball: Are we far enough in the year to give up?

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

You have the questions, Hal McCoy has the answers. Sign up for Hal McCoy's Reds Connection for more "Ask Hal." To submit questions about baseball, e-mail hmccoy@DaytonDailyNews.com

QUESTION — It would be fitting if Cincinnati pitcher Paul Wilson's earned run average was 6.66 instead of 7.77. — Dave, Centerville/Miamisburg/Beavercreek

ANSWER — So there you are, Dave. Missed you last week. Some e-mailers figured you got locked in your cave. And some suggested your street address is 666 and your cell phone number has 666 in it. Right now, Wilson might sell his soul to get his ERA down to 6.66.

Q — An 11-year-old girl named Katie Brown pitched a perfect game against boys in an upstate New York Little League game. Given the state of their pitching, have the Reds scouted her? — Andy, Westerville

A — The New York Yankees outbid them for Katie, but the Reds are looking at an 88-year-old guy in St. Petersburg, Fla., who pitches softball every day; a guy in Rapid City, S.D., who says he has a bionic arm and a pitch he calls the eliminator that nobody can hit; a border collie in Newport, Ky., that not only chases baseballs, but throws them back; and a rusty pitching machine sitting idle in Montreal.

Q — I'm a transplanted Ohioan who still roots for the Reds and the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Both my teams are in last place, but wouldn't it be great if they turned their seasons around and met in the World Series? I wouldn't know who to root for. — Bev, Tarpon Springs, Fla.

A — Bev, if the Reds and Devil Rays are in this year's World Series, I'll buy you World Series tickets, fly you first-class to Cincinnati and put you up at The Cincinnatian. In the meantime, I can recommend a good psychiatrist in Tampa, if he can fit you in around appointments with Lou Piniella and Dave Miley.

Q — Are we far enough in the year to give up? I can't understand this because I feel we have a good team and for some reason it isn't happening. — Gene, Dayton

A — If you mean the Dayton Dragons, well, there is always the second half. If you mean the Reds, yeah, it's too late. They'll tell you it is only May, but what will they say in September? Can you say, "Wait until next year ... or the year after or the year after or the year after?"

Q — Do you think the Reds could convince Joe Morgan to take over as manager? How great would that be? — Kevin, Boston

A — Not so great. Morgan was a great player and knows the game inside and out. Unfortunately, there seems to be only one way to do things in his mind and he certainly isn't afraid to tell everybody as an ESPN analyst. I fear he would talk his team to death. He also makes more money at ESPN than he would make with the Reds and he has said he doesn't want to manage. He does all his managing in front of a microphone.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

And in addition to Hal's comment, Morgan is a baseball loon. You guys think Obie uses W-L records and team based stats too much? Hooboy.

The other Joe Morgan though...why not?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yeah I don't like the Morgan thought much either. Better we stick with davey Johnson or Jim Leyland thoughts. *dreaming*

Hal is hilarious in this article. I love how clever he gets sometimes. Thanks again Hal, our pal.