Thread: Santos DFA, Stone Called Up (Prepare for the great turnaround)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Santos DFA, Stone Called Up (Prepare for the great turnaround)

REDS PROMOTE HAMILTON NATIVE RICKY STONE
    Victor Santos Designated For Assignment

CINCINNATI - The Cincinnati Reds today selected from Class AAA Louisville the contract of RHP Ricky Stone and designated for assignment RHP Victor Santos. Stone will wear uniform number 52.

Stone, 32, is a native and resident of nearby Hamilton, Ohio. On January 19 he was signed to a minor league contract and has spent the season with Louisville, where in 39 relief appearances he went 4-4 with a 1.70 ERA and 9 saves in 11 opportunities. He leads the International League in games pitched.

Stone hasn't pitched in the Major Leagues since 2005, when he made 23 appearances for the Reds. He last pitched in a big league game on July 1 of that season in a 10-7 loss vs Houston (3ip, 3h, 3er, 1bb, 2k, Everett HR). He was outrighted to Louisville 2 days later and on July 4 refused that assignment and elected free agency.

On July 14, 2005 he was signed by the St. Louis Cardinals to a minor league contract and spent the rest of the season at Class AAA Memphis. He did not pitch professionally in 2006.

Santos, 30, this season for the Reds went 1-3 with a 5.06 ERA in 26 relief appearances.
    Stone has dominated in AAA, but that doesn't change the fact that he was very unimpressive in his previous stint with us. Who knows, maybe he has refound some effectiveness and we could ship him for a C level type prospect.

MLB ERA

Re: Santos DFA, Stone Called Up (Prepare for the great turnaround)

ZZZZ

No signs of an imminent Narron departure from those I've talked to who are close to the situation.

Of course maybe a poor showing this weekend against Castellini's former team will change things...
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Too little, too late. And when it happens, we all know the story, Dent will get the interim title to have it removed at the end of the season. If RCast wanted to restore any faith in myself, he would go hard after someone like a Davey Johnson (or someone with a track record of at least some success) THIS season and play out the rest of the games as a preface to what would hopefully be a winning effort next season. There is a lot of baseball left and I hope we don't just throw in the towel on this season and call it done, to only struggle again next year and continue this process.

Someone elsewhere mentioned that RCast is a businessman and to get to the stature his company is at, it needed more than just inaction and poor choices. Hopefully he is tired of this and won't tolerate it much longer because I know I can't.

MLB ERA

And then Castellini will tell us how brilliant Dent is and how he is the same guy who made all those fans cuss so he must be the best out there.

I would be THRILLED to have Davey Johnson back. I know Castellini was apparently interested in Lou when he took over but he has seemed way too satisfied with Narron recently.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I would love Davey back too, I think Krivsky would want a yes man though and that isn't Davey.

Like I've mentioned in the past from what I've gathered of all the various quotes, it's a vicious circle of love. RCast loves Krivsky, Krivsky loves Narron and therefore RCast loves Narron. If the hiring is placed in the hands of Krivsky, I would be scared.

MLB ERA

Yup, I see it the same way.

The circle of life in terms of baseball around here these days is the circle of love between the groupies.

Talk about getting "In with the Inn Crowd."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I am hoping, regardless of keeping or not keeping Krivsky, that Castellini is seeing that he isn't so all mighty that his decision should be 100% of the process. This mess isn't just Narron's fault of course, so let's keep our fingers crossed that Castellini will seek out the best coaching option for this team with no concern for the cost. The one thing that has always baffled me about this team is that for so many seasons now, we continually bring in cheap and mediocre options and hope for something different, if you are going to be a low-mid budget team, then spend some of that cash on the GM and manager roles as something quality there can make a roster and a budget that isn't awe-inspiring get a bit more bang for the buck.

MLB ERA

Definitely need to maximize the teaching and talent evaluation if you are going to go the cheaper route in terms of player signings. He really needs to be willing to pay more for better players though...plain and simple..at least if he wants to win as fast as he said he did. He can't expect the team to win if he's not going to be flexible in terms of adding good players but at the same time somehow expects the team to win very fast.

And I don't know what to think of Krivsky at this point. I was unsure when he was hired, then seemed to think he had a plan and now I'm not sure what is in his head. He has made some smart and dumb moves. He confuses me sometimes. I worry recently that he might be a bit too hung up on the "plays the game the right way" players who in actuality aren't very good. Getting too many players like that makes the good moves lose some of their shine. I am willing to let him to get through the trade deadline but if he trades someone like Dunn or Griffey and doesn't appear to maximize the return, I will be ready to see him fired at the end of the season, because we can't afford to trade someone of their (especially Dunn's) caliber for questionable talent in return.

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

And The Ricky Stone Experience begins.

Hide your girlfriends, wives and daughters.

Each home game in the 7th inning, GABP's IF will be snowed in with women's undergarments.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

Got alil captain in you?
    Rookie ERA

this another one of those rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic move. Replace one broken chair for another broken chair.