Thread: Hal McCoy reports that Krivsky has let it out

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Hal McCoy reports that Krivsky has let it out

Listening to the radio (podcast show on 1530 with Tim Lewis) this evening, Hal McCoy was interviewed and he stated this;
    "I have been told by several inside people with other teams that Krivsky has let it be known that the Reds are ready to start dumping some big salaries."
    Also he said this about Hatteberg;

"Not only the Yankees, but their are sevearl teams interested in him."
    Take it for what its worth. But this is teh first word that Krivsky is actually shopping players. Not official, but I don't see McCoy lying about this. He says he thinks someone ("might be Adam Dunn and might not be Adam Dunn") could be moved very soon.

Turn 2

Re: Hal McCoy reports that Krivsky has let it out

Dunn has been rumored on the move for sometime now. Do you think Griffey Jr. will also be on the move?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I think it will just be one or the other to be honest. I think they are more willing to trade Dunn at this point than Junior as well. Junior is playing awesome this year and has been pretty healthy as far as avoiding long stints on the dl goes.

The Reds FO knows that Griffey will putbutts in the seats next year as he goes for his 600th HR. So, in my opinion I think it will be Dunn and not Griffey.

Other guys to be traded? I see Hatteberg and Conine being dealt. I also think Freel could go with Hopper being his replacement and eventually Keppinger. I don't like that idea, but I see it happening.

Turn 2

Niner and Hatteberg won't get you much in return though.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

No they won't but it is better to get anything at all than to get nothing. You know?

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Junior has a chance for 600 this year, no reason to trade him.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32 View Post
    Junior has a chance for 600 this year, no reason to trade him.
    yeah if he stays healthy, he only needs to get to 37

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

The whole story from Hal.

Trades likely as last-place Cincinnati confronts reality
    By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Friday, June 29, 2007

> What do you think the Reds should do?
    PHILADELPHIA — It isn't a surrender proclamation because nothing yet has happened, but it might be that the Cincinnati Reds are ready to swallow some reality: 16 games out of first place entering Thursday's action, five teams to pass in the National League Central, 84 games to accomplish it.

Scouts and club officials with other teams say that Reds General Manager Wayne Krivsky has made calls saying the Reds are looking to start dumping salary, ready to trade for top-shelf prospects as they peer toward the future.

Krivsky's policy is not to chat with the media about trade prospects, but he can clearly read the handwriting on the clubhouse wall, and it doesn't say anything about winning the division.

The guess is that there might be six players on the 25-man roster not included in trade talks: Aaron Harang, Homer Bailey, Josh Hamilton, Alex Gonzalez, Brandon Phillips and maybe Edwin Encarnacion.

Manager Jerry Narron isn't ready to do any towel tossing or white-flag waving, but he, too, is a realist, a frustrated realist.

"I was very honest with (owner) Bob Castellini about what I thought about the team when we first met, and I've appreciated his support," Narron said.

"What has frustrated me is that we're so close to being a competitive team," he added. "To lose so many close games at the end, it just takes its toll. It's a shame. It all comes back to pitching."

It's the bullpen — other than closer David Weathers — that is 9-16 with a 4.84 ERA, 13th in the league. It is the staggering inconsistency of starter Kyle Lohse (3-10, 5.02) and the less-than-glittery year by starter Bronson Arroyo (2-9, 5.14).

Of the starters, only Harang (8-2, 3.80) can be counted upon, and the starters are 21-32 (13-30 without Harang) with a 4.81 ERA, 12th in the league.

Yes, it probably is time to break up the Reds, probably with a sledgehammer.

On the hoof

Never, ever lose a bet to Ken Griffey Jr. The outfielder pays off, but in strange ways — like the time manager Lou Piniella won a bet with him during spring training when both were in Seattle.

"It was batting practice, and I had three swings left," Griffey said. "Lou bet me a steak that I couldn't hit a home run to each field on those three swings. I hit one to right and I hit one to center, but I missed the one to left. So I paid up."

Oh, did he. Piniella got his steak on the hoof. Griffey had a live cow put in Piniella's office while he was gone, "And when he walked in, there was the cow and some other stuff the cow had left after lifting its tail, plus he had slobbered everywhere. Lou got sick."

Then there was the time Griffey filled Piniella's office with lambs, but that's another story.

Working overtime

Of closer Weathers' 15 saves in 17 opportunities, eight have required him to get more than three outs, most in the majors. The closest is Seattle's J.J. Putz, who has six multi-inning saves out his 22.

Narron checked a red book in which he keeps what days he used relief pitchers and noted, "We used him four straight days (June 7-10), had an off day and used him the next day back. I wish we could use him every day."

Mr. All-Star

Balloting is over for the All-Star Game, and Griffey is about to be voted into the game for the 13th time, breaking a tie for third with Ozzie Smith. Cal Ripken Jr. was elected 17 times and Rod Carew 15.

While Griffey is appreciative, he takes it with a shrug and says he would rather spend the time with his family in the Bahamas.

"I just like to have fun," he said. "This game doesn't last forever, and my daddy (Ken Griffey Sr.) instilled one thing in me — have fun every game. Every game is closer to your last one, so don't worry about tomorrow or yesterday. I just want to play as hard as I can every day and never look back."

Quote of the day

Josh Hamilton on what he thought about Ryan Howard's 505-foot homer Wednesday that cleared Hamilton's head in center field by about 100 feet: "You go up to bat and try to do the same thing. I can't wait to get hold of one. I haven't yet."

> What do you think the Reds should do?

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Wurtland Middle School
    Rookie ERA

Krivsky = Captain Obvious

I think the other GMs have been swarming for awhile knowing the Reds are a sinking ship. Krivsky has put out there the high asking price proposals in a futile attempt at bluffing, now it's time to drop the asking price.