Thread: Its time

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Its time

The season is over. If you can't see that we are not in contention, you shouldn't be allowed to speak your opinion anywhere. We are done. But don't let that end your fight for this team.

Its time to start holding those accountable that are not meeting the standards. Oh wait, we have been calling for that far too long. Right now, this organization is worried about putting butts in the seats. How so? They have a gasoline giveaway going. Are you freaking kidding me? Put a good product on the field, then they will come.

So what is it time for?

Its time for Narron to go.
    Its time for Krivsky to figure out where he wants this team to be next season.
    Its time for Castelinni to shore up necessary funds to put into this team.
    Its time for Arroyo to figure himself out.
    Its time for Lohse to move to the bullpen.
    Its time for Votto to get the call.
    Its time for Stanton and Castro to be released.
    Its time for the fans to worry about tomorrow and not today. Today is already gone.
    Its time for the media to show the world who Harang is.
    Its time for this team to prove to potential free agents that they can win.
    Its time for the Reds to also start looking at the 2008 draft.

Its time!

Turn 2

Re: Its time

Great points given there redsrbetter. If things are worked out the right way this organization does have a bright future with the likes of Homer baily, Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo. Hitters like Votto, Phillips, Hamilton. That is a good start and with some key addition they should be on there way back.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Re: Its time

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    The season is over. If you can't see that we are not in contention, you shouldn't be allowed to speak your opinion anywhere. We are done. But don't let that end your fight for this team.

Its time to start holding those accountable that are not meeting the standards. Oh wait, we have been calling for that far too long. Right now, this organization is worried about putting butts in the seats. How so? They have a gasoline giveaway going. Are you freaking kidding me? Put a good product on the field, then they will come.

So what is it time for?
    I honestly couldn't agree more very well put, and let me put an exclamation point on that part of it!!!!! My sentiments have been the exact same about it all, yes w/o question if you build it they will come. As a matter of fact it's been time.

However just a few notes here:
    Its time for Castelinni to shore up necessary funds to put into this team.
    I question how that's possible to some extent. Most of your dollars come from having people coming to see your product. Chicken before the egg or egg before the chicken? If you blow it up as we both think needs to happen how do you get those turnstiles churning? Bobbleheads, 1$ Hot Dogs, Free gasoline? Let me be frank, those dogs give me plent of gas to begin with!

Its time for Arroyo to figure himself out.
    I agree he needs to figure out what's bothering him and be the leader that he can be on this team by being honest about it and not be bullheaded. But just a side note here, you made reference in a previous thread about the Reds present possible desire to start shipping off salary, per Hal McCoy. Well he was on in the 2nd w/ Marty tonight and mentioned Arroyo as one of those guys who could be dealt if the right package was offered. And stated that the Reds may feel they jumped the gun in signing him to a LTC. I agree with that I had thought at the time that perhaps they should have waited at the very least until midway through this season to see how he fared his 2nd go around the league.

Its time for Lohse to move to the bullpen.
    I disagree with this and I'll tell you why. He is currently signed for only the rest of this season, at a modest 4+ million on the entire season. If you can get some value in a trade for him before the deadline you go ahead and do it. If not you ride him hard the rest of the season and get the absolute best out of him as a starter. If you put him in the pen what kind of attitude does he play with. Likely a passive one and then is worth nothing to us.

If he does ok as a starter (which is where you are going to get his best effort and attitude) you could pheasibly end up with a sandwich pick at the end of 2 or perhaps better who knows. Of course you would have to offer arbitration (a 1 yr deal) to get a pick(s) but if he does well the rest of this season he will turn it down and then go sign with someone else (unless we screw up and think that he actually does have a future, foolish idea) allowing us to be compensated.

If he doesn't do well we don't offer arbitration and he probably would re-sign for a cheap price if we even want him at that point. I wouldn't be, they may need a 5th starter at that point who knows.

Either way you keep him for one more year at perhaps a modest raise, or you end up replacing the player you gave up for him (Zach Ward) and maybe you get a better player in return than Ward will be. Plus you got a yr and half out of him which helped to keep guys in the minors for developmental purposes. Instead of having to rush those guys, I.E. Homer Bailey.

Its time for this team to prove to potential free agents that they can win.
    I think it's a foregone conclusion now that this won't happen anytime soon. Let's face it our next best bet to compete for anything other than respectability will be 2009. And good FA's aren't likely to even give us a sniff until 2010, that is until we prove that we are serious about winning. That sucks but I don't see it happening any other way. This is all assuming we do have a firesale.

Now the question I have for you is does this plan make you re-think your opinion that it should be blown up? I mean if this is what we have to look forward to would you still blow it all up now?
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 06-28-2007 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Add a thought

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.