Thread: Griffey has memorable finale in Seattle

Reds Griffey has memorable finale in Seattle

A nostalgic weekend that was mostly about the return of Ken Griffey Jr. ended Sunday afternoon, with the main attraction suggesting that ending his career where it started sure would be cool. "Athletes always want to retire with the team they started with, and I am no different than anybody else," Griffey said. "I still have a few more years, though, so I don't think it will be anytime soon. If it happens, it happens, but right now, I have to try to help win games for the team I'm with."
    The 37-year-old has one year -- plus an option year -- remaining on the contract he signed with the Reds after being acquired from the Mariners prior to the 2000 season. He has the right to veto any trade that the Reds might want to make until he becomes a free agent.
    But judging from the reception he received during his three-day visit to his Major League roots, returning at a later date certainly would be popular.
    The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Major League Baseball News

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Re: Griffey has memorable finale in Seattle

nothing like two dongs to finish a series off in your old stomping grounds. and especially to pass mcgwire as well.

the fans of the M's reacted with class the entire weekend.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Griffey wants to play in a Seattle uniform again. Reds fan turn on espn and you will be able to hear what JR has to say. He wants to play for several more years, but when he thinks he has a couple years left, that will be when Jr want to play in Seattle again.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Griffey has memorable finale in Seattle

Congrats to Ken Griffey, JR!

Seattle fans have a lot of class.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Griffey has memorable finale in Seattle

I think they did great too!

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

If the price is right as a now retired icon would suggest, they can have him.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

From everything I've read, it seems like Griffey was saying he would like to do a whole ceremonial signing just before retiring, ala Emmit Smith, to leave the game as a Mariner. While I am sure he wouldn't rule out the possibility of a trade to Seattle or signing there later, obviously he can't determine what they will want and he certainly isn't demanding anything. This is an emotional guy who was overwhelmed this weekend, can't really blame him for that.

Which makes it all that much more sad, given this resurgence year, that this front office has been willing to tolerate Narron's incompetence and the ownership who isn't willing to spend to win, it would be really great to have the Reds competing and Griffey having what was promised to him, a winner, coming to life.

AAA ERA

i have always said that Seattle is the only place i would want to see Griffey go if we traded him

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

I'm actually shocked about how well Seattle fans treated him after the vitriol they spewed about him when he was traded to Cincy. Hateful, hateful stuff.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Here is the thing for me; I love how the Seattle fans embrassed Griffey and his return. But I think it definitely played on him a bit. He was not all that quiet when acknowledging his distaste toward Cincy fans and their distaste toward him. He goes to Seattle and the fans go nuts over him.

No doubt, he was understandably emotional. But did it play a part in a possible new way of viewing where he wants to be? I mean, he calls Cincinnati, Florida, and now Seattle home. I have no problem with that as he is still likely trying to figure out where he wants to end his career. But what I do know is that Seattle is created a new feeling about where home might be for him.

We all know that Griffey loves to be center stage. That is just his personality. With the way Seattle played this, I wouldn't doubt his wanting to go there. And with his wife growing up there and her family living there, we may be seeing the early stages of his return to the Mariners.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Check this out guys:

Bring Griffey Back