Thread: Erardi: 'The Kid' Returns

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Erardi: 'The Kid' Returns

'The Kid' returns
    Griffey to play in Seattle for first time since becoming a Red
    BY JOHN ERARDI | JERARDI@ENQUIRER.COM

A half-dozen still cameras and four or five video cameras are aimed at the Reds' dugout steps leading to the field at Great American Ball Park.

Everybody is waiting for the emergence of 21-year-old Reds phenom Homer Bailey for the first time as a major-leaguer on major-league soil.

But first - purely by serendipity - emerges 37-year-old superstar Ken Griffey Jr. His hands are upraised; his face is creased by the famous smile; his brown eyes sparkle.
    ADVERTISEMENT

"Thank you, thank you," Griffey says, head nodding all the way up the steps as he waves to the gathered horde. "So nice of you to come out here today to see me. Honored to be here. Thank you. Thank you very much."

Everybody laughs.

For once, the Reds right fielder - who returns to Seattle tonight finding himself second in the National League All-Star balloting and closing in on home run No. 600 - is enjoying the cameras being pointed at him.

Test your Griffey knowledge

He's in somebody else's spotlight now.

True, he loves being "The Guy" with the game on the line. He loves being at the center of the Reds lineup, forcing the opposing team to focus all its attention on him. He loves that he's finally having a good year in Cincinnati, the first really good year since his first year here, 2000, when he hit 40 home runs and drove in 118, the last time he wasn't hurt.
    Click Here For The Rest

It's going to be an electric night at Safeco tonight, let's hope for some magic to happen. And you all should really check out this article, it's cool to read about the players thoughts about him since we really never do (outside of the occasional outfielder comment.)

AAA ERA

Re: Erardi: 'The Kid' Returns

i wish they would show tonights game on ESPN so i could watch it in HD.. but i will definately watch at least some of tonights game.. especially him coming to bat, even though they weren't happy about him leaving i am expecting a huge warm reception from the fans tonight when his name is called