Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The more he hits...

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The more he hits...

and the hotter he gets, does that make you want to trade Adam Dunn even more (to maximize value) or to cling on to the thought of keeping Dunn in red for years to come?

Dunn is legendary for his hot streaks and slumps and this past week has been on fire. I think back in the Cleveland series his batting average dipped to .248 which is the lowest it's been all season with a reasonable sample size. But after this past week of hot hitting, his batting average is up to .275, he is climbing up the homerun leaderboard with 19 after his two today... including hitting RBI's in now 5 games straight IIRC. I would like to see him start taking more walks again as his OBP is uncharacteristically low, but you can't deny his swing of late. And I get that is why so many get frustrated with Dunn, but when you see him hit like this, you can't help but to think what happens when the cold streaks become fewer and the hot streaks become more frequent. Be it a change in mental approach, the right hitting coach, whatever... Dunn likes it in GABP and when he is going right, he really likes it. I am not saying that makes him untradeable, but I hope Krivsky seeing Dunn hit +.400 over this stretch with mammoth shots is verifying the thought that he should have in his head to only trade Dunn in the right deal.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Re: The more he hits...

It is time to circle the wagons on this team as it is. The makeup of this team has failed year after year and does not appear to be what we need to get back to playoff baseball. If that mean trading Dunn, do it. Please trade Arroyo while people still think he can pitch. he has been crap since the all-star break last year for the most part. I hate seeing Giff go while he is chasing 600, BUT, trade hime to a team that has a shot at a title, he deserves this. keep Harang, Hamilton, Phillips, Hattenburg, and Edwin. Homer and maybe Loshe but deal the rest. I am tired of seeing this team lose night after night. If we don't hit 5 Hrs we lose, and sometimes we lose even if we do that. GUT this team, and manager and start over. I do not care if it takes a few years to get there as long as we see improvement.

We lost 2 of 3 to Texas, 3 of 4 I think it was to the Nationals, and were swept by The Pirates all at home. This is the first time in many many years this team has been out of contention before June even got here. The only hope we were clinging to was the Division coming back to us. That is no way to run a team, nor should we want this. This year is done. Bring on the NFL, I can't hardly watch anymore of this team.

For the first time since 1970, I have given up on this team this early in the tear. :-(

MLB ERA

Its seems that NOW is the right time to trade Dunn, before he cools off again.

Sweeten the trade bait.He stays on a tear for another week we may just get some ball players.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

considering he becomes a FA at the end of year if he's traded due to that clause in his contract, I'll be surprised if they get a lot for him (as much as most of you probably think you should get)...the same would be true if they keep him and try to trade him next year though I guess. He also makes a ton of money, which is going to make it a little harder to deal him from that aspect. Time will tell, but my guess is that he'll be with the Reds after the deadline.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    considering he becomes a FA at the end of year if he's traded due to that clause in his contract, I'll be surprised if they get a lot for him (as much as most of you probably think you should get)...the same would be true if they keep him and try to trade him next year though I guess. He also makes a ton of money, which is going to make it a little harder to deal him from that aspect. Time will tell, but my guess is that he'll be with the Reds after the deadline.
    Not if the team trading for him is given the 72 hour window to negotiate a contract with him. Scott Boras isn't his agent so there is a decent possibility that it would be enough time to at least agree on the parameters of a contract extension. And what's left of his 10 Mill this year isn't a big deal to take on (between 5-6 Mill) for what he can provide.

However I find it quite damning that his likeness is being used as a logo of sorts for the definition of a strikeout. Click the link below. That certainly can't help us in getting back a solid return.

Strikeout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Dunn just received the player of theweek award for the second time this season. If there is a time to trade him, it is now before he finds a slump again. As mentioned before, Dunn will kill you with slumps but you will be glad he is on your team a few weeks later.

My problem still remains and I still see this as the everyone else views it. What can Krivsky get for Dunn? His asking price is high as evidenced buy the preliminary talks with the Angels. So are their teams willing to meet Krivsky's demands? And if not, is Krivsky weak enough to be haggled down in asking price?

MLB ERA

i definitely think he needs to be dealt to the nationals

definitely

for nook logan, he's got that elite speed and no plate discipline thing that narron loves
    and for saul rivera, he's a reliever with moderate upside at best, narron loves that too
    and for cristian guzman, royce clayton pt. 2

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Dunn just received the player of theweek award for the second time this season. If there is a time to trade him, it is now before he finds a slump again. As mentioned before, Dunn will kill you with slumps but you will be glad he is on your team a few weeks later.

My problem still remains and I still see this as the everyone else views it. What can Krivsky get for Dunn? His asking price is high as evidenced buy the preliminary talks with the Angels. So are their teams willing to meet Krivsky's demands? And if not, is Krivsky weak enough to be haggled down in asking price?
    I really hope this only reinforces his demands. Dunn has the peaks and valleys of his play, but like I said, it is scary to think what happens when the peaks are more frequent. Of course this talk has been around for awhile, but when a player is your top run producer more consistently than anyone else year after year, you can't waver all that much. We still have Dunn for a season and the market will look at him the same next year: under 30, an impending FA, lots of strikeouts but lots of homers... blah blah. I want to keep the big guy, but at least be selective this year and desperate next year should we not decide to keep him on after that.

Quote Originally Posted by McKain View Post
    i definitely think he needs to be dealt to the nationals

definitely

for nook logan, he's got that elite speed and no plate discipline thing that narron loves
    and for saul rivera, he's a reliever with moderate upside at best, narron loves that too
    and for cristian guzman, royce clayton pt. 2
    Brandon Watson is an elite prospect in your farm system, I demand him to be included. Of course we've had him before and he wasn't anything, but his AAA hit streak, who can argue with that? We know from Cormier and Majewski that statistics can not deceive the novice stat-head like Krivsky who likes pretty ERA's with lots of luck to back 'em.

MLB ERA

In all honesty though, I think the Nats should make a play for Dunn right now. He and Kearns reuniting would boost both of their morales, he'd give the team a draw for their new stadium. I think the Reds would have a serious interest in picking up Chad Cordero and the team is trying to deal him, and he'd make a good centerpiece of the deal. Throw in two prospects, maybe an Ian Desmond and a pitcher, I could see the Reds accepting that but I think going higher if they wanted it wouldn't be so bad. Plus I'm sure Bowden would be willing to throw in Big Papa Church.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Cordero is a FA next season isn't he?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by McKain View Post
    In all honesty though, I think the Nats should make a play for Dunn right now. He and Kearns reuniting would boost both of their morales, he'd give the team a draw for their new stadium. I think the Reds would have a serious interest in picking up Chad Cordero and the team is trying to deal him, and he'd make a good centerpiece of the deal. Throw in two prospects, maybe an Ian Desmond and a pitcher, I could see the Reds accepting that but I think going higher if they wanted it wouldn't be so bad. Plus I'm sure Bowden would be willing to throw in Big Papa Church.
    Obviously you mention some intriguing names there, whether that would be the right deal or not I would likely have to think about a bit more, but I really doubt any deal going down between Krivsky and Bowden again, unless it was very insignificant. Krivsky should know he was severely embarrassed by Bowden ripping him off (although he should of known that before the trade) and these grievances against the Nationals I am sure hasn't helped to mend the fences. Of course Bowden loved his boys, Kearns and Dunn, and with Soriano gone he could use a big cornerstone bat so the demand makes sense from his side like you mentioned.

MLB ERA

Cordero hits free agency but I think Cincy'd be able to re-sign him, especially if they're getting rid of Dunn's what, 13 mill?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yes but why trade Dunn on a chance we could resign Cordero? Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the Call State Fullerton alumn, but he just doesn't fit what we need for Dunn. We are not contending this year, so we have to look at getting someone who will be around for a few years.

MLB ERA

Does the MLB allow people to discuss contract extensions before a trade actually goes down? Their trade rules are convoluted as hell and I really don't know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast