Thread: Griffey; not as concerned about a ring as we may think?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Griffey; not as concerned about a ring as we may think?

Ken Griffey Jr. has made no secret about his desire to win a World Series ring.
    Even though it looks like the Reds have no chance of getting there this year, Griffey said he won't ask to be moved to a team in contention.
    "I don't even think about that," he said. "That's the furthest thing from my mind."
    OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1');
    Griffey's name has been mentioned in trade rumors. He's having a very good year - .287, 18 home runs, 43 RBI.
    If the Reds were to trade Griffey, they would have to get his permission. He's a 10-and-5 player - 10-year veteran, five with the same club - and thereby can veto any trade.
    "I'll cross that bridge when I have to," he said. "It's a matter of trying to do what I can for this team. I can't control what happens upstairs.
    "I'm employee No. 3."
    Griffey says he's tried to not let the losing get him down.
    "I don't really think that," he said. "Losing is not fun. I obviously don't like it. (But) every game, something good happens. You try to build on that.
    "Nobody thought we'd be in the position we're in. It's up to everyone in here not to try to do more than you're capable of.
    "It's not a lack of effort."
    The Enquirer - Griffey won't ask for trade

Is he just being politically correct? Or is he serious in his nonchalant approach to this? I mean what player would really throw himself out there and say he wants to win a championship at any cost? Not many do that. My guess is he doesn't want to put himself in jeopardy of creating a bad relationship with his superiors.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Griffey; not as concerned about a ring as we may think?

Is PC really the term to use here? Ha. But I just think Griffey is that type of a guy and player, the constant professional who would rather bite his tongue and keep his image versus rambling on like a guy like Sheffield has done recently. He's a class act and I am sure the re-found love affair of Griffey in Cincy hasn't hurt either.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I think anyone who is not stating what he feels to be correct is being PC. Not that it is a bad thing at all. I just think we didn't get a straight answer from Griffey. Maybe the answer we are all looking for is still within himself and it won't be let out at all. Basically, its another report from the media where they garner nothing that cannot already be assumed.

Or can it? Is Griffey really sincere here? Do you guys think he really could care less about retiring from baseball without a championship?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I really don't think it matters what he feels, because no one likes to lose obviously and I am sure all the players on this team would in a heartbeat go from a dead last team to a first place team with World Series talent. It's like picking between working for the old factory that is going to shut down in a few years or the brand new office for the company with their stock rapidly rising, a no brainer. Griffey doesn't live in Cincy and if he is traded to a team close to his home in Orlando and in contention, I don't think he will balk at it. Then again, I don't think Griffey is going to resort to childish demands like a request for a trade.