Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jiminez designated for assignment

Jiminez designated for assignment

REDS PROMOTE INFIELDER LUIS LOPEZ FROM LOUISVILLE

2B D’Angelo Jimenez Designated For Assignment

CINCINNATI - The Cincinnati Reds today selected from Class AAA Louisville the contract of IF Luis Lopez and designated for assignment 2B D’Angelo Jimenez.

Lopez, 34, will be in uniform number 15 for tonight’s 7:10 p.m. game against the Cleveland Indians.

Lopez has spent the entire season at Louisville, where he hit .264 with 8 doubles, 1 HR and 9 RBI in 29 games. For the Bats he played in 23 games at shortstop and 2 games at second base.

Lopez has appeared in 704 Major League games with the Padres, Mets, Brewers and Orioles. His bio begins on page 120 of the media guide.

Jimenez, 27, this season for the Reds hit .229 with 5 RBI in 35 games and 23 starts.
    SBSL-Washington Nationals

Rookie ERA
    oh great, crap for crap

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    While I havent been thrilled with DJ, why do this? I mean, Luis Lopez.... c'mon.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Our team is now seriously improved.

Dan O is a joke, flat out. This guy just doesn't know what he is doing. DJ is young and just starting to hit as of late, there is potential at least there for him to do something. But Lopez?!?! Seriously, c'mon. Way to send a message Dan O, we're ready to comeback boy.

This move does very little for me but I do see one "light" in it. This may mean that they're not planning on bringing Rich Aurilia back. When you look at it, Lopez replaces what Aurilia does for us (SS) not what Jiminez did.

Curious that the announcement mentioned little about Freel's status. It'd have been nice if they finally gave Freel a starting job but no that's be too many decisions in one day for this organization.

Truth is this is just a drop in the bucket of how much salary this team will end up eating before it's all said and done. Aurilia and Weber are definites on the cut list and LaRue and Wilson are possibilities if they don't shape up, as well as Weathers. If ownership is watching (a big if) then they should be taking notice of how much money O'Brien has frittered away.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I doubt Wilson will be cut since he has at least two guranteed years.

MLB ERA
    Reds designated infielder D'Angelo Jimenez for assignment.
    Can Eric Milton be far behind? OK, maybe that's a reach. Jimenez has a $2.87 million contract, so he'll clear waivers. It's a pretty gutsy move for the Reds. Jimenez was awful in 35 games this year, but he was pretty good in 225 games for the team prior to the season. He's still decent enough to start at second for some teams and there will be plenty of interest in him if he becomes a free agent. The Reds will go with Ryan Freel at second base for now and they could rotate Felipe Lopez between the middle-infield spots after Rich Aurilia returns. Not only is this good news for Freel, but it also helps Austin Kearns, as Freel should no longer get any outfield at-bats. May. 20 - 5:45 pm e

per rotoworld
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    O'Brien is a disgrace as a GM.

He doesn't have a clue.

He shouldn't have wasted money on Jimenez in the first place. I had been advocating starting Freel since before the season even started.

The pitching is what could be one of the worst in team if not league history, and yet O'Brien IDs the problem as the offense.

This guy might go down in history as one of baseball's worst GMs.

I expect more moves to follow, BTW, since I wasn't a bit surprised by Jimenez being dumped.

This is all just a big situation.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I am actually very happy about this move! Jiinez became lazy and tried to be too flashy. Freel should get the nod now. The only thing is, I wish it were Aurilia instead of Jiminez, but he is still on the DL. I hope Aurilia and Weber are next. I think DJ really had attitude problems that the organization did not like as well. I say good job DanO!

MLB ERA
    You would think Freel would get the nod, but Bergolla is hitting second tonight.

Freel better watch out, he could be the next to go.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yeah, I do not understand this move at all. But Bergolla may need a look or two to see if he should stay on the team and replace DJ and send L. Lopez back down.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    Bergolla is starting at 2nd and batting 2nd tonight, here is our first real look at him

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Another thing is, I wonder if this team is setting up a trade. It is a possibility at least. They have never commited to Freel staying in one position and cannot trust Bergolla (unknown if he can handle the big leagues) and L. Lopez (has never been that great) to play full time. Maybe the Dunn deal is in the works? Castillo was supposed to be apart of that deal, right? So this could be apart of something bigger to come. What do you guys think?

This makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Another thing is, I wonder if this team is setting up a trade. It is a possibility at least. They have never commited to Freel staying in one position and cannot trust Bergolla (unknown if he can handle the big leagues) and L. Lopez (has never been that great) to play full time. Maybe the Dunn deal is in the works? Castillo was supposed to be apart of that deal, right? So this could be apart of something bigger to come. What do you guys think?
    Want to know what I think? I think that Dunn rumor came from the same inside source that said Miley would be fired and Bowa would follow with a new staff...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast