Thread: Arroyo = Jimmy Haynes???

Wurtland Middle School
    Rookie ERA

Arroyo = Jimmy Haynes???

It looks like the ghost of Jimmy has risen and calls himself Bronson Arroyo. Good year, signs extension and immediately becomes terrible.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Arroyo = Jimmy Haynes???

I am not arguing how bad Arroyo has been for the past month or so, essentially we have had zero chance in about any game he has made an appearance in as of late... but, let's not discount how impressive he looked til about mid-May. Just look at what he did to this point:

DATE & OPPRESULTIPHRERHRBBSOGBFBPITBFGScDECRELERA*
    Jun. 17 TEXL 11-46876125861043233L(2-8)-5.24
    Jun. 12 LAAW 5-36.09332355111153044--4.98
    Jun. 6 @STLL 6-46.2966215781193036L(2-7)-5.01
    May. 31 @HOUL 10-25.01188102512832515L(2-6)-4.73
    May. 26 PITL 9-54.076614082952420L(2-5)-4.01
    May. 21 WASW 8-72.066613236621519--3.41

DATE & OPPRESULTIPHRERHRBBSOGBFBPITBFGScDECRELERA*
    May. 16 @SDL 3-28.01031026991293558L(2-4)-2.64
    May. 11 @LADL 2-06.0622042891172850L(2-3)-2.87
    May. 6 COLW 9-35.2533037561202451W(2-2)-2.85
    May. 1 @HOUW 11-27.0311035413952769W(1-2)-2.59
    Apr. 25 @STLL 5-27.0511012128962764--2.86
    Apr. 19 HOUL 8-67.0522114515962662--3.25
    Apr. 14 @CHCL 7-06.2862034951042943L(0-2)-3.48
    Apr. 9 @ARIL 3-27.0422024991032763--3.86
    Apr. 4 CHCL 4-17.0844029781083152L(0-1)-5.14

Only one effective/quality start listed after the cutoff... the others? As you can tell, just putrid. Of course by looking at the bottom numbers, it looks like vintage Arroyo (as vintage as a one year career with this team can be.)

He averaged 110 pitches last season, not to mention pitching in 240 innings. He might of had a bit of luck on his side last year, but all in all it was solid. Haynes on the other hand was much more of a mirage. He never dominated, he never stayed in long game after game and I don't think anyone would believe he could achieve what Arroyo did early on, he got cheap wins that shouldn't count for much in today's world of GM's but they do. Arroyo doesn't look right though and be it dead arm or something else, he has lost both effectiveness and control of his pitches to look like a shell of the pitcher we have seen him be.If the Reds aren't concerned yet, they should start. If I had any authority, I would skip Arroyo's turn in the rotation to give him extra time and to then see if there is a mechanics problem that can be corrected.

They showed a stat on todays game on Arroyo's era in the day games versus night games,and they said he's a night pitcher.Probably hungover the next day after those late night jam sessions.

AAA ERA

its funny i think i brought up the name Jimmy Haynes when we re-signed him and i was instantly flamed.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

But how do you explain him having one and a half months of REALLY good baseball then? He had 7 quality starts, it would of been 8 if he was allowed to go one more 1/3 of an inning (and the other start wasn't terrible, 7 IP and 4 ER.) I am not arguing how he currently looks, but for a guy to have it going like he did only to lose it isn't an absence of talent but indicative of something physically or mechanically wrong.

Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    They showed a stat on todays game on Arroyo's era in the day games versus night games,and they said he's a night pitcher.Probably hungover the next day after those late night jam sessions.
    I've noticed that but never bothered to do day/night splits. I told my wife yesterday morning "Arroyo can't pitch during day games." Looks like I was right.

MLB ERA

If Reds management was smart, they'd put him on the 15 day DL, let him rest, and then bring him back to see if he returned to being a good pitcher.

But they'll probably wait too long and instead of dead arm, maybe he'll end up with a slight tear in the rotator cuff from trying to compensate.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

MH21 is all over this one, he was fine until his last half dozen starts. I've noticed quite a few folks on the radio and in print question his pitching since about this time last year.

But just take a look at his game logs and you'll see that he has been outstanding from start to finish w/ exception of a handful of bad outings that every pitcher will likely have over the course of a year. Also add this tidbit of info, he's historically at his worst around early June to Mid-July.

Of course coming into '07 I imagine every fan with any sense would have figured him to not do as well as he did last year, what with the league having already seen him for the most part. So you must also consider that his good outings likely will be fewer, and his bad outings probably worse.

And he referred to it himself last night that when his velocity is down on his FB (he is tired, this is the dog days of summer and Narron thinks he and Harang are the bionic man IMO) his off-speed stuff isn't as challenging to hit, the difference in speeds is necc. for him to get bye frankly.

IMO he needs to be the recipient of a skipped start in the rotation, seeing as how we have the off day Thursday what better time. And the good thing about him is you don't have to wait until his spot comes up again. His versatility should allow for Lohse, Bailey and Belisle to move up a start and then slide him back in just ahead of Aaron. Giving Aaron an extra day of rest as well.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    But how do you explain him having one and a half months of REALLY good baseball then? He had 7 quality starts, it would of been 8 if he was allowed to go one more 1/3 of an inning (and the other start wasn't terrible, 7 IP and 4 ER.) I am not arguing how he currently looks, but for a guy to have it going like he did only to lose it isn't an absence of talent but indicative of something physically or mechanically wrong.

Could have had something to do with the cooler weather. If you think back we were getting excited about even the BP early on. It did get warmer by early to mid May, but April was cooler than most years and the ball does not fly as well when it is cooler.
    Just a thought

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Also add this tidbit of info, he's historically at his worst around early June to Mid-July.

And he referred to it himself last night that when his velocity is down on his FB (he is tired, this is the dog days of summer and Narron thinks he and Harang are the bionic man IMO) his off-speed stuff isn't as challenging to hit, the difference in speeds is necc. for him to get bye frankly.

IMO he needs to be the recipient of a skipped start in the rotation, seeing as how we have the off day Thursday what better time. And the good thing about him is you don't have to wait until his spot comes up again. His versatility should allow for Lohse, Bailey and Belisle to move up a start and then slide him back in just ahead of Aaron. Giving Aaron an extra day of rest as well.
    All some very good thoughts and tidbits here Mario. I think another thing to consider outside of the weather, the state of his arm and having more NL exposure is that Bronson seems to be a bit sensitive. We all know how he reacted to the trade from Boston and he gets visibly upset when performing bad (not angry, just frustrated) a bit more so than some others. And going this bad for this long, he must feel like he is at the bottom of a mountain whose peak keeps getting higher.

Quote Originally Posted by redram38 View Post
    Could have had something to do with the cooler weather. If you think back we were getting excited about even the BP early on. It did get warmer by early to mid May, but April was cooler than most years and the ball does not fly as well when it is cooler.
    Just a thought
    When you're looking at stats, sometimes its easy to overlook something like that and I would tend to agree with you. He was quite stingy also with the homer early on as well.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Well, according to C. Trent, Arroyo has been pushed back a whole day. I understand not wanting to take it easy with him though, leading the division like we are we can't afford to be giving priorities to fixing what is broken because obviously Bronson has been dynamite as of late and we can't risk pitching someone else and falling off of our 12 game winning streak.

MLB ERA

Hahaha, a day.

How depressing.

Not a chance. Arroyo's arm IMO is just tired, he'll bounce back. Haynes was never that good to begin with and was extremely lucky during his career year w/the Reds in which he won 15 games.