Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The more he hits...

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: The more he hits...

Quote Originally Posted by McKain View Post
    Does the MLB allow people to discuss contract extensions before a trade actually goes down? Their trade rules are convoluted as hell and I really don't know.
    I believe there is a 48 hour window to discuss that with Dunn.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yep I have heard that many times but have not seen it in writing anywhere. But the word is that the team dealing for Dunn would be allowed to talk to him and make arrangements for the team option (13M).

I don't understand why Dunn has a say so though. When you are traded, your contract goes with you. So he has a team option (not a player option) and if the team getting Dunn wants to pick up that option, they can. At least that is how I think it is. I could be way off though.

MLB ERA

So if some sort of trade were proposed nvolving Dunn and Cordero, both sides would get the opportunity to talk about the contracts beforehand.

It could work out. Won't ever happen though.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Yep I have heard that many times but have not seen it in writing anywhere. But the word is that the team dealing for Dunn would be allowed to talk to him and make arrangements for the team option (13M).

I don't understand why Dunn has a say so though. When you are traded, your contract goes with you. So he has a team option (not a player option) and if the team getting Dunn wants to pick up that option, they can. At least that is how I think it is. I could be way off though.
    Dunn doesn't have a say in the trade, but in his contract. The way it is structured is that this team option is for the Reds, not for other teams unless Dunn elects it to be so or negotiates something else. It was probably the only way the Reds could guarantee the team option being worked in while still making Dunn happy as he has the power should they trade him and at 28 (in the offseason), if he went onto the market, him and his agent both know he looks more attractive than if he goes on at 29 as he is that much closer to 30.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Ok, I see now. Thanks for clearing that up mission.

McKain, Cordero doesn't have a team or player option at all. He is a FA after the season unless the Nats or the team he is traded to are able to extend his contract.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Dunn for Zimmerman and a prospect if we can get him and maybe with Bowden lusting after the Big Donkey it could happen. Otherwise I say no! Of course I am sure Bowden wouldn't do it and the Nats fans would have a fit if that happened and I wouldn't necc. blame them. But that would be my asking price as he is the only Nat that would raise my interest at this point.

Cordero's big flys given up and his penchant for being up in the zone in general would scare me in GABP.

As far as what I would do with Zimmerman and EE, well I would sort it out later. Perhaps EE to 1st and Zimmerman entrenched at 3rd. And I like EE at 3rd but Zim's defense is Brooks Robinson-Esque and his offense will come around with time.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Zimmerman and Ed E problem sure would be a bit tough to sort out, but it's like the problem I have in my fantasies.... choosing between my two dates of Jessica Biel and Scarlett Johansson. Sure it's a problem, but I am sure many would like to fight me for that problem.

But yeah, extremely improbable given Bowden's trade nature. If anything, much like the Kearns and Lopez deal, he would offer up a bevy of middling players and I think even getting a guy like Church would be a pipedream. I know a lot have gotten over that deal, but I hated it from day one and I've grown to hate it more with each day since. The problem isn't trading these guys, it's what you get in the end but hopefully for our sakes, this losing record will have Krivsky looking for young big talent versus spare big league parts in some vein attempt to compete.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12