Thread: Angels Interest In Dunn Detailed

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Angels Interest In Dunn Detailed

Quote Originally Posted by FOX Sports
    "The Angels had preliminary discussions with Cincinnati about acquiring Adam Dunn, according to a baseball source, but those talks quickly ended when the Reds requested a proven major league starting pitcher, a major league infielder — preferably a second baseman — and a top prospect. Those demands were considered too hefty for a player whose $13-million option for 2008 would be voided if he's traded, meaning he could become a free agent after this season. The Angels probably wouldn't even trade second baseman Howie Kendrick for Dunn straight up, according to the source."
    The two things I gather from this, if true, is that Wayne K has a steep asking price (and let's hope to God that is the case, we have one more year of guaranteed Dunn to pull a deal off) and that the Angels are insane. Kendrick is a toolsy guy who has hit in the minors and projects nicely, but they need a Dunn much more than they need a Kendrick (I wouldn't want the deal of course, but that would of been a steal for them.)

Re: Angels Interest In Dunn Detailed

I think Wayne will be very careful this time if he deals Dunn.This deal could be his legacy if it's done right,or he could very well be out the door.Especially after the backlash trade so far with old leatherpants.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Maybe I am not reading this correctly. Does it say that Krivsky was asking for a SP, 2B, and a prospect? Or did they mean one of the three?

I think it was all three. But you can see where this could be read differently. Anyhow, if it is in fact all three I see why the Angels had to walk away. But I am glad to see Krivsky is showing everyone that the asking price will be very steep. This is definitely the way to go at it early. We are over a month away from the deadline, you have to get GMs thinking about what they can do to get Dunn.

My only concern now would be a quality vs quantity situatiion. I would hate to see Dunn get dealt for a SP that has never proven to be better than a no 5. A 2B that is more suited for a utility role and is not a bonafide starter. And a prospect that might be the high point for now but someone who has past injury problems.

And what of this 2B situation? Is Krivsky looking for a replacement for BP? Is he planning on moving BP to SS and looking for a replacement for Gonzo? Or is he simply looking for an upgrade to Castro for the bench?

MLB ERA

Justin Germano (Major League starting pitcher), Geoff Blum (major league 2nd baseman), and Cesar Carillo (Padres top prospect) for Dunn

Git-R-Dunn
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Wurtland Middle School
    Rookie ERA

I think the author overvalues Kendrick obviously. Also, Santana is only 24 but has not shown much signs of improvement in his three years in the ML. ERA and K/9 are nothing to get excited over despite his supposedly good "stuff", however, Ervin is a flyball pitcher and that could doom him in GABP.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    I think the author overvalues Kendrick obviously. Also, Santana is only 24 but has not shown much signs of improvement in his three years in the ML. ERA and K/9 are nothing to get excited over despite his supposedly good "stuff", however, Ervin is a flyball pitcher and that could doom him in GABP.
    Agreed! However Santana would be a nice guy to turn right around to a pitching starved team like TB for a solid return.

How about Santana and Cueto to TB for Carl Crawford? At least that would be solid starting parameters IMHO.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

I would be ecstatic if the Reds nabbed Kendrick for Dunn.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Agreed! However Santana would be a nice guy to turn right around to a pitching starved team like TB for a solid return.

How about Santana and Cueto to TB for Carl Crawford? At least that would be solid starting parameters IMHO.
    As much as the author or the infamous "source" over-values Kendrick, the D'Rays feel the same about Crawford. I am not trying to discredit him as obviously he is talented, young and extremely fast... but I think if the Devil Rays trade him in the next season or two at the level of quality they seek, that is going to be the most expensive mid .700 OPS player ever traded for. That might not be a bad idea as I am not the biggest fan of Santana either, but I wonder how the rest of the baseball world is feeling about Cueto. We know the knocks against him, but I still think he hasn't managed to attain his true worth to people outside of the Reds organization (although he is getting there.)

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    And what of this 2B situation? Is Krivsky looking for a replacement for BP? Is he planning on moving BP to SS and looking for a replacement for Gonzo? Or is he simply looking for an upgrade to Castro for the bench?
    that was my first thought.

and yeah i have always said we will never get what we want for Dunn, and its clear, we will always have to either pay him, or take what we can get

MLB ERA

I think you folks, after years of criminally undervaluing Adam Dunn, are now overvaluing him.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I think you folks, after years of criminally undervaluing Adam Dunn, are now overvaluing him.
    I don't think many of us actually overvalue him, but we hope Krivsky can flat out steal a deal like he helped consummate a few years back in Minnesota. Joe Nathan, Francisco Liriano and Boof Bonser for A.J. Pierzynski! That would be a major coup, however I would settle for 2 good players as long as one is a bat and major league ready and the other is an arm with a future as a possible 1-3 starter. If the opposing team doesn't have the arm I would also accept a slightly higher quality positional prospect.

I don't think 2 potentially good players is too much to ask of a team for one pretty good player now. Who BTW would be using Dunn to help them potentially play in the postseason, especially if that team is loaded with talent in the minors. Afterall that is what it's all about, winning I mean.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

From John Fay's Blog today:

Tuesday, June 19, 2007
    On the Dunn rumor

My old buddy Tim Sullivan floated the Adam Dunn-to-San Diego rumor by Padre GM Kevin Towers. Towers' reply: "Not worth chasing."

The report in San Diego was left-hander Justin Hampson, right-hander Clay Hensley and another player for Dunn.

Dunn's contract status -- his option goes away if he traded -- probably would not concern the Padres. They're looking for a bat to get them over the top, even if a its a rent-a-bat.

Hampson and Hensley are both 27. Hampson is 2-1 with a 0.81 ERA. Hensley is currently pitching in Triple-A. He was 11-12 with a 3.71 ERA last year.

The trade seems to make sense. Maybe the combination of players changes and it happens.
    "The rumor" originated today from an anonymous e-mail to a local (1530 AM The Homer) sports radio personality (Greg Doyle).

FWIW I think Dunn is nearly done in Cincy no matter if this rumor is real or not.

I think he's Dodger bound.They need power in a big way.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    I think he's Dodger bound.They need power in a big way.
    I think it's in our best interest if he is dealt to L.A., IMHO.