View Poll Results: Contender or Firesale?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Contend; this team still has a good shot to contend with a much better second half

2 15.38%
  • Firesale; no way for us to contend. Time to start thinking of our future

11 84.62%

Thread: Poll: Contend or Sale?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Poll: Contend or Sale?

Just wanted to see where everyone is at with this. Where do you see this team goin? Is there still a chance for us to contend? Or should Krivsky be spending the majority of his time on the phones swinging deals and charging up a firesale?

There is not an undecided option here. You have to go one way or another. I know, it is hard. I am going to submit this thread and then charge my batteries and focus on what I really want to see before I make my vote. Good luck.

AA ERA

Re: Poll: Contend or Sale?

I am not sure that a firesale will happen. But it is clearly the time to look at the future. I know this division blows and the Brewers have come back to the pack a little. But at this point, the Reds have to play over .600 ball the rest of the year to win the division. I just don't see that happening because we have seen no sight of that kind of team, even if everything clicked at the same time.

So I think it is time to try to contend for the future. But, to be honest, I don't think they would make several moves if they do decide they are out of it. Stanton, Gonzalez, Arroyo and Weathers probably won't be going anywhere. So probably the only ones that Wayne might be looking to ship would be Conine, Hatteberg and Dunn. I don't think that you get too much for the future out of those players. So I guess I am calling for the firesale, but I am prepared for it to be limited.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Volzok makes a perfect post here. I think a firesale may be a little too much to expect. You put the word limited in there and you have something about right. I pointed out before that this team can go ahead and chalk up the season as a loss, deal either Dunn or Griffey, and still have a very good team to field next season.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

You can't halfass it. If you think the Reds can come back to field a good team without Dunn and with Griffey a year older, a team that needs more offense and not less... it's not possible without acquiring a big bat via trade of Dunn (which won't happen) or by signing a big name FA bat (if that happens, I guess I got my dinner date to go on with Scarlett Johansson. Either go all out or all in. Whatever we get back for Dunn will be less than what he was worth and any trades of our old guys (Hatteberg, Conine, Weathers, Stanton, etc) won't net anything of significant value, combine that with the dwindling ticket sales we will surely see by year's end, we won't be flowing in the cash come the offseason.

The Reds don't have the minor league depth to do it any other way, because with a very casual rebuild, you're depending on too many unknowns to save the day in the future.

Got alil captain in you?
    Rookie ERA

don't sell the NL central is wide open and everybody will make a run before the year is over

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yeah I wouldn't go as far as a firesale but some trades are needed.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Agree not a firesale; but perhaps a swap meet!

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

MLB ERA

Fire-sale.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Rookie ERA

Firesale. Homer has shown he will be a solid #2 or 3 starter, Harang and Arroyo are signed for several years. Those three should be the core of our staff, and we should look to fill the pen with decent young pitchers. As for our offense, I say keep Phillips, Hamilton, and EE, but everyone else is fair game in the trade market. Bring up prospects to gain ML experience for the rest of this season.