Thread: JC Romero?

Wurtland Middle School
    Rookie ERA

JC Romero?

Boston Herald: "The Red Sox cleared a spot on the roster for the activation of Mike Timlin [stats] from the disabled list by designating veteran relief pitcher J.C. Romero for assignment. The team has 10 days to either trade or release the left-hander, who was 1-0 with one save and a 3.15 ERA in 23 appearances, but manager Terry Francona indicated a trade may be in the works. "

Romero would be a pretty nice addition.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: JC Romero?

Depending on the price and if he is fixable, I might not mind it, but I am really scared here gang. We have an ex-Twin, who is a lefty and has a pretty ERA that is deceiving and likely why the Red Sox are willing to deal him (a near 2.00 WHIP, more hits than IP, etc.) Romero has had a long line of inconsistency. His 2002 season was awesome, but with walk totals increasing and his K/9 decreasing for the most part since then, all the while becoming more hittable (as his disastrous 2006 with the Angels show and his 2007 with the Red Sox.) Although he has been a bit tough on lefties than Stanton, that isn't saying much since it still is an OPS over .800 like Stanton (and Stanton is much harder on righties.)

But with just turning 31 a few days ago, I suppose he could be fixable and if he came cheap (with the contract covered) and we could slip him onto the Louisville roster to set him straight, it's worth looking into. He is predominantly a groundball pitcher (sometimes having a G/F of 2.00+) so I could see Krivsky digging that.

There are very few MLB ERAs where if (2*WHIP) >= ERA, it's a good thing. This isn't one of those good things.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Pretty much and actually, one could pretty much argue that getting rid of Stanton for him would be trading an apple for an apple. Romero is hittable, not quite as much as Stanton but his control is a lot worse off. He definitely isn't the quick fix for this pen or any sort of fix, but I like him as a project player possibly for the minors like I said.

He had his moments here...but his two good ones were against Seattle when Oki and Paps weren't available for the save and Oakland where he got out of bases loaded/no outs with a K-DP combo...granted, he helped CAUSE the BL/NO situation.

Still, even if he has technically gotten the job done, but it's been excruciating to watch.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Looking at this, a trade of Stanton for Romero would never happen. Iwish it would though. I feel that this will open Krivsky's eyes for sure. You could pretty much write him up as being on the Reds roster in a few weeks. He is an ex-Twin as mentioned before and he is a bullpen arm. Krivsky is desperate. I can see someone like Hopper being available here. But I am not sure the BoSox need a 5th outfielder.

I just don't see them wanting Stanton because they areboth pitching horribly ths year and Stanton's contract doesn't end until 2008, where he will be making more money next season as well.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

No, I wasn't suggesting that a trade of Stanton for Romero would happen but that if we got rid of Stanton for Romero (release Stanton, trade for Romero), that the tradeoff would essentially be equal.

It'd probably be closer to J.C. Romero for (insert middling single A prospect here)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    No, I wasn't suggesting that a trade of Stanton for Romero would happen but that if we got rid of Stanton for Romero (release Stanton, trade for Romero), that the tradeoff would essentially be equal.

Ok, I got you. I just misunderstood. I really think Krivsky has to be looking at this. I wonder who he has on the block for someone like Romero.