Thread: Coffey and Hammy back up; Salmon and Wise sent packing

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Coffey and Hammy back up; Salmon and Wise sent packing

per C Trent:

Prior to tomorrow night's game in St. Louis, the Reds are expected to return from a rehabilitation assignment, recall from Class AAA Louisville and reinstate from the 15-day disabled list OF Josh Hamilton and recall from Louisville RHP Todd Coffey.

They will take the roster spots of RHP Brad Salmon, who today was optioned to Louisville, and OF Dewayne Wise, who has been outrighted to Louisville.

Since May 22 Hamilton has been on the 15-day disabled list with gastroenteritis. He hit safely in all 6 of rehab appearances for the Bats (8-24, .333, 1 2b, 4hr, 6rbi, 2sb). When he went on the DL Hamilton was hitting .261 with 8 HR and 18 RBI in 37 games for the Reds.

Coffey began the season with the Reds and went 1-1, 4.94 in 26 relief appearances before he was optioned to Louisville on May 24. He did not allow a run in 6 appearances for the Bats (5.2ip, 3h, 1bb, 9k, .158oba).

Salmon went 0-1, 4.50 in 11 relief apps for the Reds.

Wise appeared in 5 games for the Reds.
    Still they keep Stanton on. I just don't get it. I am speechless. Glad to see Hamilton is back up and hopefully he will spark this offense. Especially when Castro is likely to start for a while until Gonzo is back and healthy again. Coffey has been outstanding in Louisville. Hopefully he can carry that back up to the MLB level this time. I would hate to label him a AAAA pitcher just yet.

I just don't get sending Salmon down when Stanton is still on this team. He should be DFA.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Coffey and Hammy back up; Salmon and Wise sent packing

With his stuff, I wasn't surprised to see Coffey excel in the minors (again) but with him and high pressure MLB situations... it seems to be a problems between the ears.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Hopefully Coffey will come back like Edwin has. Coffey was lights out last year before he was thrown into the closers role. I also cannot believe this love affair with Stanton. Ok back in the day he was a fine pitcher BUT he is no longer able to get batters out. He needs to go. These are the moves that just confuse the crap out of me about this team

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Why would Salmon get sent down??? I know he has some control problems but in the small sample size we have seen of him he has done fairly well. Opp. BA is .147. Why is WK having so much trouble eating Stanton's contract....let him go he isnt getting any better!

Rookie ERA

I can think of several million reasons Stanton is still on the 25 man. That's really the bottom line: money and WK's personal pride.