Thread: McBeth

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

McBeth

Why is he even on the 25 man roster is he is never going to be used? Dude is lights out in AAA and has been good his whole career as a pitcher (more often than not in late inning pressure situations). Yet Narron wants to use Victor Santos in the 10th inning with the heart of the Rockies order due up? I just get so sick of our coaching staff not wanting to throw our young guys on the mound in pressure situatons. Instead they would rather run old vets out to the mound that have a career WHIP of up around 2. This is the perfect time to let these young players play. The season is over, LET MCBETH PITCH.

ps - I do realize he has only been on the roster for like 3 games. I just needed to release some steam.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: McBeth

Santos is not a high-pressure situation, get it done type of pitcher. This season might not look so bleak if our pen was better managed, despite the obvious lack of talent on the whole. But Santos is a fine guy to stick out in a blowout game or for the 5th/6th inning in a close game where the starter left early... in Colorado, to face the bats that they do have and that can use that park to their advantage, it's just essential to give it to someone with actual stuff.

Both Krivsky and R Cast were at the game today, so let's hope something will be done.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I am still waiting...

Nothing is going to be done. That is the fact that we have to deal with this season. They are trying to get fans excited about Bailey. But many of us realize that unless he goes a CG, we may see a good debut, but a loss or no decision none the less.

Man, I just wish there was something in this bullpen to look forward to. Nothing.

Minor Leaguer
    AA ERA

I think the bullpen problems can be mitigated to some extent by better usage of the pitchers.

Narron makes too many pitching changes, which causes the pitchers to be overworked and ineffective. Infrequent long outings are better on the arm (and hence yield better results) than frequent short outings.

Narron tends to use several pitchers every game -- and a couple of them warm up in the bullpen without getting into the game. So of the 7 relievers in the pen usually at least 5 of them either pitch in the game or warm up in the bullpen. One major reason Narron uses so many pitchers is because often none of them are effective. Be that as it may I believe proper usage of the pitchers will result in them being more effective more often.

Narron needs to learn these facts:

1. Relief pitchers can throw more than one inning.

2. Pitchers' arms need time off to heal and recuperate or else they will be ineffective due to fatigue or injury.

3. Lefty-righty matchups are less important than having your best pitchers in the game during high-leverage situations.

4. Pitches thrown in the bullpen fatigue the arm the same as pitches thrown in the game.

5. Warming up in the bullpen ruins a day's healing and recuperation.

If Narron allowed guys like Coutlangus, Salmon, Saarloos, Santos, Burton etc. to pitch 2 innings every third day then he would see better results. Why use them to face one or two batters almost every game? Those guys are mostly interchangeable. It doesn't do any good to take out Salmon in order to put Burton in the game. Use one of them twice as long today and the other one tomorrow. Keep them in the game until their spot in the hitting order comes up. Giving them a couple days off after a 2-inning outing will allow them to fully recuperate to peak effectiveness. Using them every day leads to chronic fatigue and ineffectiveness.

The bullpen was very good the first two weeks of the year. After that the wheels fell off because of the buildup of fatigue and soreness due to frequent usage leading to poor performance.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 06-04-2007 at 03:50 AM. Reason: added last paragraph

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I think the bullpen problems can be mitigated to some extent by better usage of the pitchers.

Narron makes too many pitching changes, which causes the pitchers to be overworked and ineffective. Infrequent long outings are better on the arm (and hence yield better results) than frequent short outings.

Narron tends to use several pitchers every game -- and a couple of them warm up in the bullpen without getting into the game. So of the 7 relievers in the pen usually at least 5 of them either pitch in the game or warm up in the bullpen. One major reason Narron uses so many pitchers is because often none of them are effective. Be that as it may I believe proper usage of the pitchers will result in them being more effective more often.

Narron needs to learn these facts:

1. Relief pitchers can throw more than one inning.

2. Pitchers' arms need time off to heal and recuperate or else they will be ineffective due to fatigue or injury.

3. Lefty-righty matchups are less important than having your best pitchers in the game during high-leverage situations.

4. Pitches thrown in the bullpen fatigue the arm the same as pitches thrown in the game.

5. Warming up in the bullpen ruins a day's healing and recuperation.

If Narron allowed guys like Coutlangus, Salmon, Saarloos, Santos, Burton etc. to pitch 2 innings every third day then he would see better results. Why use them to face one or two batters almost every game? Those guys are mostly interchangeable. It doesn't do any good to take out Salmon in order to put Burton in the game. Use one of them twice as long today and the other one tomorrow. Keep them in the game until their spot in the hitting order comes up. Giving them a couple days off after a 2-inning outing will allow them to fully recuperate to peak effectiveness. Using them every day leads to chronic fatigue and ineffectiveness.

The bullpen was very good the first two weeks of the year. After that the wheels fell off because of the buildup of fatigue and soreness due to frequent usage leading to poor performance.

Good points AD I have wondered this myself. The way I see it is, if it were just 1 or 2 guys killing us then this argument may not hold water. However since the whole damn bullpen (yes even 'ole Stormy to a lesser extent) stinks I think it's a more than valid point! And one that the writers should be inquiring about. I mean at what point does Hume and Pole accept some of the responsibility, and have they yet made a stand and is Jerry simply ignoring them and doing things his own way?

It's not just the players, that much is pretty evident!

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Minor Leaguer
    AA ERA

I agree, Pole and Hume should share some of the blame with Narron.

I just don't see other managers overusing the bullpen arms like Narron does. The list of pitchers with the most appearances is loaded with Reds. I think Coffey was first in the league when he was demoted. We have gone through a lot of pitchers this year already. Narron can never seem to find a role for a pitcher and stick with it.

Whenever a pitcher performs well for a few times Narron will start using him every single day until he breaks down. You can't pitch nearly every day and stay in top form for long. Narron rides them hard until they have a bad game or two, then he rides somebody else too hard and so on down the line. Now he has broken all the pitchers but Weathers already.