Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trade interests for Dunn

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Trade interests for Dunn

Rumor has it the Tigers are dangling Mike Maroth around so the Tigers could package something around him to get Dunn but I doubt it. I do know one thing, the Giants don't need him and should trade anything for him. Rather see the Giants go for a better all around player like a Torii Hunter this offseason.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Mike Maroth?! Mike Maroth is the Tigers' worst starting pitcher, not to mention he holds the record for most losses in a single season. Maroth in a Reds uniform has Eric Milton written all over it.

MLB ERA

The Nats better be offering up some Nook Logan, Saul Rivera, Josh Karp action for Dunner.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Krivsky declining to comment (as usual)

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky on Monday declined to comment on an SI.com report saying the Reds have put outfielder Adam Dunn on the market.
    The story, written by Jon Heyman, cited league sources.
    When contacted by an Enquirer reporter on Monday, Krivsky said he hadn't seen the SI.com report. When told about it, he said, "I'm not going to comment on that."
    Dunn, who is hitting .250 with 15 home runs and 38 RBI, would be an attractive asset for teams who need a power bat.
    But Dunn's shaky defense and contract could be an issue. Dunn is making $10.5 million this season. He has an option for 2008 for $13 million with a $500,000 buyout.
    A trade would void that option, making Dunn a free agent in 2008. The Reds likely would have to let Dunn negotiate with the club he's being traded to, so that club knows Dunn would be with them after 2007.
    "There's a 48-hour window that allows you to do that," Krivsky said.
    The Enquirer - Report: Dunn on the market

For Krivsky to acknowledge the 48 window just gives me the sense that he does not want to talk about it, but he definitely is thinking about it. Maybe thats just me reading into it a bit. But this is the latest on the Dunn talks.

I honestly think that Krivsky would have flat out stated that he does not have Dunn on the market if he didn't. Just seeing how he handles things, when he knows something is not being said right of his team, he is going to adjust it. But when he chooses to decline any comment, it usually means he is simply not sending expectations out one way or the other.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Re: Pads interested in Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    I'm not saying Headly/Hensley for Dunn would be fair for both sides, because it wouldn't.

As I stated in the trade rumors thread in the Padres forum I doubt the Hensley/Meredith/top prospect deal some fans are kicking around at another forum would happen, which means I obviously doubt it'd go through taking Cla Meredith out of the deal.

I simply felt the need to contest the assessment of the Padres minor league system being the "worst in baseball"

It pretty much was going into this season because Kevin Towers sucked at the draft, but Sandy Alderson/Grady Fuson have been having some good drafts the past couple years and we're just now starting to see the effects of them drafting. Headley being one of the prime examples.
    If Wayne could get Cla Meredith and Hensley, he'd be a miracle worker.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    Mike Maroth?! Mike Maroth is the Tigers' worst starting pitcher, not to mention he holds the record for most losses in a single season. Maroth in a Reds uniform has Eric Milton written all over it.
    Maroth is cheap and would be at the back of the rotation. Plus I said package something with him in it. Maroth needs to get out off the best division in baseball.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Here is what Hal McCoy has on this whole thing:

CINCINNATI — First baseman Joey Votto is learning left field at Class AAA Louisville. Coincidence? Who believes in coincidence?
    The annual Adam Dunn trade rumor is circulating baseball this week. Isn't he a left fielder?
    "Unofficially? I think it'll happen," said Dunn.
    Votto had two hits Monday and a stolen base (No. 7) and is hitting .314.
    "Last I looked, he had played seven games in left field and 50 at first base," said general manager Wayne Krivsky. "We're having him play left field so he can play more than one position. He has improved light years."
    About trading Dunn, Krivsky said, "I don't comment on rumors and it is better not to say anything." Notice? No denial.
    But the pregame pressbox was stuffed with scouts from Atlanta, Houston, Los Angeles, Chicago (White Sox), Detroit and others.
    Any hang-up would involve Dunn's contract. It expires after this season, making him a free agent. The Reds have a $13 million one-year option, but if he gets traded, that goes away, meaning his new team would have to sign him to a new contract or risk losing him to free agency.
    "If every rumored trade came true I'd a been out of here in 2002," said Dunn. "And I can't control what happens, so why concern myself with it? I don't want to think about it because it affects me and I'm not going to let it affect me.
    "This is not something new, not like my name never has been brought up in trade rumors," he added. "And it's the same teams every year. First time I heard it was '02-'03 and I thought sure I was going to be traded because I heard it.
    "Then I heard it in '04, '05, '06 and now I hear it in '07," he said. "I'll believe it when I see it. I've said it from Day 1 — I'd like to stay here, but I know how this game is and how it works."
    Annual Dunn trade rumor circulating

I didn't realize Votto was still working out in LF. Perhaps they are getting ready to call him up pending how well he plays in LF over the course of this Dunn situation. If Krivsky decides to deal Dunn, perhaps Votto steps in and we still have Freel and Hopper ready to contribute if Votto fails.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Maroth is cheap and would be at the back of the rotation. Plus I said package something with him in it. Maroth needs to get out off the best division in baseball.
    I'll take a big old pass on that.

But in all honesty, any deal with Dunn (due to his impending FA status if traded) will be tear worthy. So I guess it's like asking which way you want to get slugged in the face, in the end, the result is pretty much the same way.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I didn't realize Votto was still working out in LF. Perhaps they are getting ready to call him up pending how well he plays in LF over the course of this Dunn situation. If Krivsky decides to deal Dunn, perhaps Votto steps in and we still have Freel and Hopper ready to contribute if Votto fails.
    For the love of god, let's not talk about trying to replace Dunn's production with Norris Hopper and Ryan Freel (who I sincerely doubt will be the same player when he comes back given the severity of his injury.) Scrappiness for runs created, it's the Cincy way.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Here is the thing we have to really start thinking about. Because I don't want anyone thinking I am suggesting that Dunn's value can be replaced in any way. It has already been mentioned several times. We cannot replace his run production whatsoever. Votto is not the answer, Freel is not the answer, and surely Hopper is not the answer. We can't even count on Bruce next year because he is going to need at least 1/3 of the season to get into the swing of things (no pun intended).

Trading Dunn will not net a bat of equal value whatsoever. Otherwise why would a team want him? They are looking for a power bat, why would they look to deal one?

So what do we look at as a potential good return for Dunn? This is the hard part. We could say we do or we don't want to trade Dunn all we want. But we have to find a good fit. Obviously we would be trading Dunn for pitching. Also, we would likely be trading Dunn to a contender considering his option to become a FA after this season. he is more or less a rent-a-player unless the team he goes to talks him into taking the option and staying on for another season. You also have to think these contenders are not going to trade a starting pitcher at all. You also have to realize that they will not trade valuable MLB ready relievers. So what is left from a contender? I think all their is left that would be of value to us are prospects. Prospects at any position. If you trade Dunn to a contender, you have to have them desperate enough to deal something that would help our future with the possibility to get a player that could be better than Dunn.

Special considerations are for teams like Atlanta who have a position player in bulk. In the Braves case having McCann at catcher leaves an opening to trade Salty. Not that I believe the Braves would ever do it, but this is just an example.

Positives for trading Dunn:

You won't be paying him 13 million dollars next season.
    Take that money to help in FA.
    Better LF defense.
    Freel can lead off nearly every game without having to sit Hamilton.
    Krivsky could find value at the minor level in a deal for Dunn.
    Have better contact in the lineup.
    Opens up a positon for Bruce.

Negatives for trading Dunn:

We could see Dunn finally reach his ceiling, but with another team.
    Loss of 100 runs scored, 100 RBI, and 40 HRs every season.

It's Votto time.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    For the love of god, let's not talk about trying to replace Dunn's production with Norris Hopper and Ryan Freel (who I sincerely doubt will be the same player when he comes back given the severity of his injury.) Scrappiness for runs created, it's the Cincy way.
    I didn't write this.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I didn't think you did, I had the quote bars and pasted in redsr text into those as well, an honest mistake by a somewhat dishonest man. I haven't lost it to the point where I think you would be sporting a Bailey avatar.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Maybe Homer Simpson or Bailey's Irish Cream but yeah no Homer Bailey Did see him pitch and thought he had some good stuff just a little wild but hey, it's his debut.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

The Cincinnati Reds, who could be in position to trade reliever David Weathers and slugger Adam Dunn, had a scout at the game.
    NJ.com: Everything Jersey

Doesn't mean anything, but still sparks my interest.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast