Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trade interests for Dunn

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Pads interested in Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat View Post
    If all Krivsky can get for Dunn is Hensley and Headley (and that's just a rumor), he should be fired right now.
    I imagine we'll get some reliever that isn't the answer to our prayers (like Heath Bell as I see a GM like Towers ready to fleece Kriv) in another genius quality for quantity move.

I agree with your sentiments 100%.

And Headley should be Top 100 next year if he continues like this...but Adam Dunn's pretty much a slightly worse Darryl Strawberry without the drugs or speed. If the Mets traded Strawberry after a "meh" 1989 for a lower end of the rotation SP and a lower end of the Top 100 prospect, would that have made sense if there were no outside problems involved?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA

I'm not saying Headly/Hensley for Dunn would be fair for both sides, because it wouldn't.

As I stated in the trade rumors thread in the Padres forum I doubt the Hensley/Meredith/top prospect deal some fans are kicking around at another forum would happen, which means I obviously doubt it'd go through taking Cla Meredith out of the deal.

I simply felt the need to contest the assessment of the Padres minor league system being the "worst in baseball"

It pretty much was going into this season because Kevin Towers sucked at the draft, but Sandy Alderson/Grady Fuson have been having some good drafts the past couple years and we're just now starting to see the effects of them drafting. Headley being one of the prime examples.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Dunn is officially announced as being on the trade block. Interesting thoughts on potential trade partners.

Per MLB trade rumors:

We kind of figured Reds slugger Adam Dunn might be available, given his $10.5MM salary and the Reds' 25-39 record. Today, Jon Heyman at SI.com confirmed that Dunn is "already out there as available," according to his "league sources." Heyman does not mention that Dunn's $13MM option for 2008 voids if he's traded.
    While Dunn can technically play left field, he will more likely be used as a first baseman or DH by the acquiring team.
    The White Sox are short on power this year, but may shift to sell mode soon and probably wouldn't want Dunn bumbling around in left field anyway. The Dodgers would make a great fit, but acquiring Dunn could require shifting Nomar to third base. He would then break down during his first round of fielding practice.
    The Padres make sense too, but Adrian Gonzalez is entrenched at first so Dunn would play left. Oakland or San Francisco could definitely accomodate Dunn at first base. He'd make a great DH for the Twins. Dunn was born in Houston; maybe Wayne Krivsky could do an intra-division trade and Lance Berkman could stick to right field.
    I'd really like to see the Twins pull this off, but Dunn just doesn't seem their style. It seems the Dodgers will snag a big bat one way or another, but Dunn isn't the easiest fit. I honestly can't pin down the best suitor for him right now.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Trade interests for Dunn

The guy at MLBTradeRumors has had Dunn going elsewhere how many times now? I don't doubt he's available, but that doesn't mean the Reds are actively looking to shop him. Wasn't Krivsky whose essentially said about no one is untouchable (not this year, last year and in general.) I am sure with our place in the standings and the hawks starting to circle, Dunn does have interest but nothing about how Krivsky has treated Dunn so far screams he is looking to deal him at any cost.

I am not saying it's untrue or he won't be moved, but at this point, most of the chatter seems to be idle rumors. When we start hearing from legitimate sources that the Reds asked for so and so and was countered with blah blah blah... then I will start giving this all some credence.

AA ERA

I think he fits best with Oakland. They would bench Shannon Stewart in a heartbeat if they got Dunn. You would think that they would also value him a little more than others, too. But on that same front, I don't know what kind of talent the A's would be willing to give up since they usually don't give up younger talent.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Understood mission. This is just teh time of year where I get a little excited. Sometimes too excited for my own good. Its trading time and the rumors are going to keep popping.

I am reading a few more things, but I am glad you said this. Nothing is out there as of yet that is saying that Dunn is being shopped hard. Krivsky has not said a word. But when do we ever hear him say anything about a potential trade? Were we ever warned about "The trade?" Were we warned about the Pena for Arroyo deal?

We know Krivsky keeps things hush hush. So if a reporter is saying that other GMs are having inquiries and that Krivsky is listening to offers, you have to assume he is on the block. Not necessarily being shopped or in other words Krivsky may not be looking for adeal. But he is listening to offers coming in. At least that is how I read it.

per rotoworld:

According to SI.com's Jon Heyman, the Reds have already made Adam Dunn available in trade talks.

Dunn and Brandon Phillips to the Nationals for Jon Rauch and Saul Rivera? Excuse us if we don't trust GM Wayne Krivsky to get a great return for Dunn, who is on pace for a fourth straight 40-homer season. He's a tougher sell because he'd likely void his $13 million option for 2008 if traded. The Padres are believed to be interested, and the Dodgers could really use a power hitter. AL contenders with potential fits for an outfielder or DH include, the Yankees, White Sox, Mariners and Twins. However, we could see the Yankees going after Ken Griffey Jr. first and he's not a Twins kind of player even if the team did have room in its budget for him.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volzok View Post
    I think he fits best with Oakland. They would bench Shannon Stewart in a heartbeat if they got Dunn. You would think that they would also value him a little more than others, too. But on that same front, I don't know what kind of talent the A's would be willing to give up since they usually don't give up younger talent.
    If we're dealing with Beane, for a guy like Dunn and one that he would value more than other GM's... we would likely get fleeced. Not that Beane hasn't been, but I can just see him trying to deal with Krivsky, trying to keep from not giggling when Krivsky takes the bait.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think Krivsky would look at a deal for any player, even Bailey, and that's why we should both take every "rumor" worth a grain of salt and at the same time be very scared as we know what a desperate Kriv can do.

AA ERA

I agree with you there, without question. Obviously that Mulder deal hasn't worked out as well as the Cards would have liked. But on the other hand, Wayne may have little choice if say the Padres were offering one minor spec and the A's are offering 3 minor specs b/c of that value. All 3 could stink but Krivsky would just look at getting more bodies.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

And finally from the SI source himself (Jon Heyman)

The Reds are ready to take offers on Adam Dunn, whose terrific power should draw decent interest despite the significant flaws in his game.
    Lots of big names could be bandied about this trading season -- Jermaine Dye, Mark Buehrle, Carlos Zambrano, Troy Glaus, Scott Rolen, Mark Teixeira and perhaps even Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera are among the stars who are candidates to be moved -- but Dunn's is one name that's already out there as available, league sources told SI.com.
    Dunn is what you might call the leadoff man in what could be a thrilling time for trades.
    Power is about the most sought-after skill right now, and Dunn has it an abundance. However, Dunn comes with a couple drawbacks, including the major question of where to play him. He's a poor and indifferent outfielder, and a few teams are now considering whether to try to acquire Dunn as a first baseman, though one scout warned, "He's terrible there. I wouldn't use him at first base."
    Added one general manager, "I see him as more of an American League player and a DH."
    All three Southern California teams could have interest in Dunn, as could anyone else seeking power. Dunn, who's making $10.5 million this season and has an option for $13 million next year (or a $500,000 buyout), is batting .250 with 15 home runs and 38 RBIs. While his power is elite, Dunn hasn't hit in the clutch. He's batting only .212 with runners in scoring position and .208 with runners on base.
    Trading Dunn makes sense for the Reds, especially if they can get solid pitching in return -- they have allowed the most runs in the National League this season. They are one of baseball's most underachieving teams, and a bit of a shakeup could do them good, anyway.
    SI.com - Writers - Jon Heyman: Reds put Dunn on trade market - Monday June 11, 2007 2:48PM

This is pretty much telling me nothing. Right along the lines of what mission said. Could be fodder, could be something. But this is all we ever get with having a closed lip GM. Not saying it is a bad thing for Krivsky to be quiet about potential moves either. I actually think it is smart. But as a fan, this is the only source we have in order to give us a heads up on things.

AA ERA

I can't imagine trade talks would seriously heat up and they give up on this season. That probably won't happen until at least the all-star break. You figure value can go up for anyone the closer to the trade deadline. But it is still good discussion for us to throw around now.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    Not trying to take a shot at Dunn here, but I don't think he is the answer for the Padres. He strikes out way too much and PETCO is harder statisically to hit HR's. I feel the Padres need a player more in the Lyle Overbay type or or mold of a player. Hits more for an average, has doubles/alley power, and makes better contact. I must admit, I love Prince Fielder in Milwaukee, but really miss Overbay bat in the line-up for just that reason. Overbay really came into his own in Milwaukee once he was given the opportunity to play regularly. If we were in the AL still, I would have loved it if the Brewers kept him and DH'ed Fielder. Plus Overbay is a better than average defensive firstbaseman.
    Actually if you look at his splits he hits much better in bigger parks than the smaller ones for the most part and in that particular division. My initial gut reaction to that particular stat is that with the deeper dimensions his non-homers have more room to fall in. Frankly though DH is no doubt in his not too distant future. A place like Detroit I think would be a good fit for him.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Detroit would be amazing. They could use another power bat to put them over the top and at the same time we could get something nice in return. They have a plethora of talent at the minor league level. If Dunn had a longer contract this wouldn't be a fit. But right now, Dunn would be a great pick up for the second half of the season for the Tigers and we could get something good back from them.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Detroit seems pretty keen to keep a hold of their minor league talent until they can use it, if recent trading patterns have anything to say about it.

Honestly guys, think about it. Krivsky got Arroyo for Pena and while Arroyo has been downright awful lately, it's a trade to favor the Reds. Since 28 other GM's could of traded for Hamilton or Phillips, I doubt his contemporaries see him as a genius but lucky. So I think when we get offers, they are going to be in the trade balance of our deal with the Nationals. Whether he would bite on something like that, I don't know. I just see most teams drawing a hard line, not offering the talent most who want to see Dunn gone would want in return and hoping he would eventually take. I think a lot of my negativity in regards to these potential rumors is predicting the outcome we would likely see (and cry about) in the future.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast