Thread: "What 's done is done." (McBeth up, Livingston down)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

"What 's done is done." (McBeth up, Livingston down)

C. Trent is on the beat and reports:
    DENVER -- What does a 6 2/3-inning performance with just a single unearned run get you? A trip to Louisville. The Reds optioned LHP Bobby Livingston to Louisville today to make room for RHP Marcus McBeth. McBeth has six saves and a 0.75 ERA in 12 games for the Bats. He was called up earlier this season, but didn't make an appearance in a Cincinnati uniform.
    Cincinnati Reds

With their off days and such, the Reds won't need a 5th starter for awhile, so this is a smart move. Let's hope we actually get to see the kid pitch this time though.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Re: "What 's done is done." (MacBeth up, Livingston down)

Good Move the BP needs all the help it can get and Livingston can get starts in AAA

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

A side note from the transaction is that Livingston won't be eligible to be called up for the next time we need a 5th starter. This per Fay's Blog:

Saturday, June 2, 2007
    It could be Homer

With Bobby Livingston being optioned to Louisville Saturday, he won't be eligible to come back in time to pitch next Saturday. That's when the Reds need a fifth starter.

If not Livingston, who? There's a very good chance it will be Homer Bailey. The other choices are Phil Dumatrait or Victor Santos.

"It's going to come down to Dumatrait, Santos or Homer," Jerry Narron said.

Bailey went into tonight's start 5-1 with a 1.89 ERA. Dumatrait is 5-4 with 3.79 ERA and struggled in his last start.

Santos will be in the bullpen leading up to Saturday, so an outing or two could eliminate him from consideration.

"(Bailey's) got a chance," Narron said. "He's pitched well. I'd like to see him come here and pitch well and contribute. I think it's going to be hard for him to pitch as well as the fans expect."

The Reds play Cleveland at home Saturday, by the way.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Maybe they will finally give Homer a shot. While Livingston got the win last night, his stuff still looked a bit soft to me. I mean Why the heck Not

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I think this is an outstanding move. I really want to see what McBeth can do for us at the MLB level. Like I said about last night's game, Livingston was getting hit really hard. I guess Krivsky saw the same as I did.

Goodmove. Hopefully it helps.

Minor Leaguer
    AA ERA

Livingston got good results but he wasn't fooling anyone. He does not impress me as having the skills to be a major-league pitcher.

I hope they wait until July to bring up Homer. Don't start the arbitration clock a year early when you can just wait one more month.

Dumatrait should be the next 5th starter, but he isn't very inspiring to me either.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

After the game Jerry said this:

Per Trent's blog:

Jerry said Thursday would probably be Lohse, and then Homer, Dumatrait or Santos on Saturday. I'd put my money on Homer. Looks like a home game I'm gonna have to go to. Thanks Homer.
    So this is the first I have actually seen Narron mention Homer as a possibility to be called up. This could be it!