Thread: Reds Notes: Narron says he hasn't been contacted by Royals

MLB ERA

Reds Notes: Narron says he hasn't been contacted by Royals

Reds juggle rotation slightly

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

NEW YORK | Another of the state secrets closely guarded by the Cincinnati Reds became public Wednesday. It was greeted with a yawn and a ho-hum because anybody who cared already knew it.

The secret? Rookie Elizardo Ramirez will start Saturday's interleague game against the Cleveland Indians.

In what ranks as a minor ripple, Paul Wilson, whose turn pops up on Sunday, won't pitch. He'll be pushed back a day and pitch Monday against the Washington Nationals, giving him an extra day of rest.

The main factor, though, is that it enables Ramon Ortiz to start Sunday on his normal fifth day after his excellent game Tuesday in New York — seven innings, two runs, six hits ... and a 2-1 loss.

The day before, Wilson threw in his third straight Gong Show performance — six runs, eight hits in 51/3 innings, dropping his record to 1-5 and hyperventilating his ERA to 7.77.

Even though Brandon Claussen's ankle appears pain-free from a sprain, "Not only can I walk without a limp, dude, I can run," he'll be skipped Saturday for a few more days of R&R.

That's because Ramirez was glittery Sunday in his Philadelphia coming-out party (six innings, two runs, seven hits) in a 4-3 loss.

Detect a pattern here in all those good starts? They were losses.

This stat is mind-boggling: The last seven times a Reds pitcher has made a quality start (three or fewer runs in six or more innings) the Reds are 0-7.

Fuzzy future

Minority owner and New York resident Bill Reik Jr., who has no function in Reds day-to-day operations other than being one of the team's biggest fans, wonders what is going to happen if the Reds continue to inhabit the lower regions of the National League Central.

"Carl Lindner (chief executive officer) authorized the team to spend $17 million more on players this year, and the team is in last place," he said.

"Last year at this time, there wasn't a nickel spent, and the team was in first place," he added.

When Reik was told about ownership elsewhere who have said, "We're in last place with these expensive guys, so we can be in last place without them, too," he smiled and said, "Yeah, that's certainly true."

Narron to Royals?

Bench coach Jerry Narron said he hasn't been contacted by anyone, but his name surfaced in media reports about the managerial vacancy with the Kansas City Royals.

"Haven't heard from anybody and I have zero connections to anybody there, no relationship whatsoever," he said. "Interested? Yeah, absolutely. I'd love to get back into managing."

Narron managed the Texas Rangers to fourth-place finishes in 2001 and 2002 after managing four years in the minors.

"Jerry's name should pop up for managing spots," said hitting instructor Chris Chambliss. "He's the man."

No void for Boyd

An ESPN report said former Boston pitcher Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd wants to make a comeback at age 45 and that he is throwing 88 miles per hour.

"Is he really throwing 88?" asked Reds relief pitcher Kent Mercker. "If he is, somebody will sign him. And I know who. Jim Bowden. Just to sell tickets."

Bowden, former Reds general manager who twice brought Mercker to Cincinnati, is interim general manager with the Washington Nationals and will be with the team for its Cincinnati visit Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    I think Jerry Narron would make a great manager for some team one day. I thought he did a good job in Texas with what he had to work with. He has a great work ethic and great rappaport with the players. Heck he could be the next Reds manager if O'Brien is ready to fire Miley.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thats what I was thinking Steak. Miley out, Narron on it.