Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kirk Saarloos DFA'd

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

Kirk Saarloos DFA'd

I don't get that. At ALL.

I am now convinced, moreso than ever, that our franchise is run by idiots.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Kirk Saarloos DFA'd

ironically enough, the A's DFA'd Shafer on Friday.

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

I saw that. Guess the trade didn't really pay off for either party.

I liked Saarloos as a reliever. He gave us some good innings out of the pen. I reiterate - this makes no sense. DFA Saarloos after one bad start and yet Mike Stanton is still gainfully employed by this hallowed franchise?
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

MLB ERA

Looks like he was optioned to Louisville; not DFA'd.

Livingston is up and will be in the BULLPEN, meaning we will need a starter on Friday of next week.

Is it Homer time?

Headed to the game now. I hope Lohse is either really good or really bad.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

aren't they still going to have to pay him, too? I believe he is making $1.2 mil this year (part of the reason the A's wanted to trade him). I thought he would do well for them because he is a ground ball pitcher and that's a plus in GABP.

I don't understand why we DFA'd Shafer. He's only 25 years old! I know that's not young for a prospect, but he is still young and could turn it around. With the all the injuries we've had and calling players up, how can we just DFA a guy?

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

I don't think he has any options. I got all this from Trent's blog. I'll check and see.

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

I guess he was just optioned - not released. I'll edit the title of the thread.

Speculation shall now run rampant about Homer Bailey.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Thank god, I am upset with Saarloos but the kid can be a quality reliever. The Reds are doing everything they can rosterwise BUT releasing Stanton.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    Looks like he was optioned to Louisville; not DFA'd.

Livingston is up and will be in the BULLPEN, meaning we will need a starter on Friday of next week.

Is it Homer time?

Headed to the game now. I hope Lohse is either really good or really bad.
    I understand why the Reds brought up Livingston over McBeth to pitch out of the pen. They needed a long guy with Santos tired, and McBeth hasn't pitched more then an inning very much. However, all that leaves to call up to start Friday is Homer, or they could rest Santos and pitch him Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I don't think he has any options. I got all this from Trent's blog. I'll check and see.
    so he'd have to go through the waiver process; if someone claims him they have to pay his salary. That probably would be OK with WK. Or, if Saarloos can get himself straightened out, that would be fine, too.

His problem is that his best pitch is a ball; the sinker out of the zone that looks like a strike at first, but is not. Good hitters will just take that pitch every single time. A sinker's a great thing, but you have to have another good out pitch, too.
    You spend your life gripping a baseball, and all the time it was the other way around. ~Jim Bouton

Wurtland Middle School
    Rookie ERA

I'll be at the Saturday game in Denver. Maybe they'll hold off until Saturday for Homer. It'd be pretty sweet to catch his debut! That's what happened when I went to my one and only Marlins-Reds game in Florida......Adam Dunn's debut.

Saarloos isn't the answer,but him instead of Stanton is ridiculous....but stanton is signed for two years, so krivs is hoping he gets hot and we can ship him to someone that will take his salary

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    I'll be at the Saturday game in Denver. Maybe they'll hold off until Saturday for Homer. It'd be pretty sweet to catch his debut! That's what happened when I went to my one and only Marlins-Reds game in Florida......Adam Dunn's debut.

I will be there too. So I really hope to see Homer. I am already dissapointed for not being able to see Hamilton. I am wondering if they are considering Livingston to just take the same role as Saarloos and be a spot starter? Makes a lot of sense because the shoe fits.

Saarloos got lucky,he'll probably wind up on a contending team now.

Wurtland Middle School
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    I will be there too. So I really hope to see Homer. I am already dissapointed for not being able to see Hamilton. I am wondering if they are considering Livingston to just take the same role as Saarloos and be a spot starter? Makes a lot of sense because the shoe fits.
    Any advice on tickets? Scalpers decent? I'll be with a school group where I'm Assistant Principal, probably about 20 people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast