Thread: AT What Point as a FAN do you stop watching ?

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

AT What Point as a FAN do you stop watching ?

I have been a fan for 37 years and can remember before the internet days, I used to sit in my car when night time came and pick up about 8 of every 10 words Marty and Joe would announce. Usually by the 6th or 7th inning I could get a pretty good signal. When we as a family would go on vacation every year I would leave at night so I could listen to the game on the way. My wife wanted to kill me but she understood how big a fan I was, so she listened to the static and the play by play while giving me dirty looks. In 1990 I could not go to sleep at night if I did not know the outcome of the game. Where was DTV in the Reds glory days LOL It would be a blast to watch Pete, Johnny, and Joe every night.

I will keep watching, but in 37 years, this year has got to be the toughest of all. Even the early 80's did not seem this bad becaue it looked like there was hope ahead. Now though I do not see hope ahead, mainly due to ownership. What are you thoughts on this. Will you keep watching night after night, loss after loss, or just say heck with this and go bowling.
    no one could blame us for bailing, but I would guess most here are like me. Diehards who will watch no matter what.

Re: AT What Point as a FAN do you stop watching ?

I will still watch, but it isn't a priority, for instance Friday night when it was 2-2 going into the 10th, my buddies wanted to go out for the night, so i left and checked the score when i got home (happy i didn't stick around for the 10th)

AAA ERA

meh, for me i think i start to fade when football season starts to really get going.. but I tend to almost always at least watch/listen to part of every game no matter what

This is the first time i've heard this Tracy Jones guy's show.He's really arrogant.

Rookie ERA

I'm a Reds diehard. I won't quit watching, I'll just fume as the futility mounts. In the end I just love baseball and want to watch as much as possible.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I agree about the priority part, I can never stop caring but when things are this miserable.. I just can't put off other things in life that provide actual enjoyment to sit through another depressing result. I will still likely watch a ton of games, miss out on the fun things (even more so when a sparkle of hope is shown) and in the end... being a diehard Reds fan is essentially a life sentence of torment it seems (being born after the BRM and too young to fully enjoy '90 like I would be able to do after 21 years of baseball experience and knowledge.) You want to quit at times, you really do, but you just can't bring yourself to giving that final kissoff to the season (at least that is how it's been with myself.)

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Well one who loves never fully leaves. So like the rest I will watch until I cannot watch anymore, heck I've already started to not watch some of it. Always catching up, but not always enough to actually break down the rhymes or reasons. It hurts too much to watch this debacle minute for stinkin minute.

But unlike Redram I do have hope for the future. I have seen from nearly the beginning what Castellini and Krivsky were doing, and I don't believe like alot of folks do that Krivsky doesn't know what he is doing. At this point in this season what do you do? He and Castillini both still believe this team is capable of playing better and have faith in the players to pull through and make it a respectable season. And if you believe that (like they do) why would you throw the white flag up (to the players more than anyone) and fire the manager. I mean if you could get a good Manager at this point you would but no one is going to want to come into this situation as it stands now. So you have to go with Bucky Dent or the like and what's the odds that he can actually pull us out of the abyss?

No, I understand their dilemma but it doesn't make it any easier to watch. But I still think that winning isn't far away. Krivsky just needs to continue p/u players that will help for the future and do the best he can for the present. And with that bunch he has, he also needs a little luck to go his way.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

MLB ERA

A true fan will watch each game no matter what happens. A fan will just watch when he can or if they are sucking. Which one are u?
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: AT What Point as a FAN do you stop watching ?

NEVER STOP BEING A FAN OF YOUR TEAM!!!!

Even though I may complain and be frustrated with the Brewers, I love them through thick and thin!!!!

This way no one can ever say you are a bandwagon fan when things are good!!! Helps build character when your teams is struggling or just flat out stinks. You must know that I am a man of character, that would be a smarta**!!!

GO BREWERS!!

See I still love my team (4-12 over their last 16 games)!!!

MLB ERA

If I let downtrodden years stop me from watching a team I would've left the Padres a long time ago.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: AT What Point as a FAN do you stop watching ?

you LEO, try being a damn Brewers fan. They haven't been good in almost 20 years!!! that is the reason I shave my head, that way I can't pull my hair out anymore!!! Now I just do this

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    you LEO, try being a damn Brewers fan. They haven't been good in almost 20 years!!! that is the reason I shave my head, that way I can't pull my hair out anymore!!! Now I just do this
    At least you guys have a World Series victory on your record.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Minor Leaguer
    AA ERA

I will always follow the Reds no matter how bad they are. I have been through the ups and downs with the Reds enough times that I know they will win again eventually.

All the losing they are doing now will make the winning all that much sweeter whenever it comes.

It wouldn't be much fun to follow a team that always won. It just isn't exciting anymore after awhile.

AA ERA

Yea, once a Reds fan always a Reds fan. Even if they are losing by a lot i still will find ways to have hope in my heart that my Redlegs will pull out a victory even if they suck i always look ahead to: Better Draft pick atleast. right?