Thread: Reds Rotation

Reds Rotation

1.Harang
    2.Arroyo
    3.Lohse
    4.Belisle
    5.?? (Bailey)

I would like to get Homer up here and let him pitch through a lost season and get him ready for next year

I would not be opposed to signing lohse now for 2 years, b/c his value is low and can be a good 4/5s starter

We would then have our rotation set for next year and go out and add arms for the bullpen through trade and fa

Trade
    Griffey (I hate to do it, but should)
    Dunn
    Weathers
    Conine (someone can use a vet bat)

Release
    Moeller
    Stanton

Bring up some youngsters and be ready to spend in the offseason

could turn it around for 08

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Reds Rotation

We have to start putting outhope for 2008 for sure. I am not sure f the rotation will be set with that, but I am definitely fine with seeing how it turns out by using that rotation for the reaminder of the season. Let them develop and see where they end up.

I agree we should trade Griffey, Weathers and Conine and I would add a lot more to that list. I am on the fence with Dunn though. I guess Iwould tradehim if I were offered something of a caliber Dunn would never net.

And releasing Stanton and Moeller should have happened a long time ago.

I agree Dunn is a good player, but we aren't realistically going to be a playoff caliber team overnight and I think paying him 12mil+ could be better off spent elsewhere....if it gets spent better, that we shall see

The Reds could pitch Loshe on 3 days rest on Friday, and pitch Homer Saturday.

Just a thought.

AA ERA

That several baseball executives expect those old Ken Griffey Jr.-to-the-White Sox trade talks to pick up again this summer as the Reds continues to sink in the standings. But a few believe it could actually be the Red Sox who end up making a play for the future Hall of Fame center fielder.
    NJ.com: Everything Jersey

Rest here(2nd paragraph) please don't say it could happen i would hate that

Minor Leaguer
    AA ERA

I would be happy with the starting rotation you mentioned. Not great but not bad either. Make sure to bring up Homer Bailey after July 1st to make sure his arbitration clock won't start until next year though.

I would only trade Griffey or Dunn if we could get very solid, proven players in return. I don't want "maybes" or "somedays" in exchange for these two proven studs. I also wouldn't trade Griffey nor Dunn in a vulgar, cheap attempt to shed salary either. Those days are over my friends.

I would attempt to trade Hatteberg, Conine, Weathers and Valentin for prospects. These players have some value that could be exchanged for something useful. We got Belisle by trading Kent Mercker, and each of these guys has at least as much value as Mercker did. Hatteberg is expendable because we have Votto ready and waiting to take his place.

I would shed Moeller and Castro for whatever we can get -- maybe a case of baseballs or a Bronson Arroyo bobblehead doll.

I would trade Thom Brennaman for a prospect too. Hey, announcers are Reds employees so why can't they be traded?

We will lose Milton's contract after this season, so that is $10 million per year to spend right there. You can get a darn good player for that kind of cash. Raise the payroll another $10 million and you can get a second stud free agent. You can do this and keep Dunn and Griffey.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I would be happy with the starting rotation you mentioned. Not great but not bad either. Make sure to bring up Homer Bailey after July 1st to make sure his arbitration clock won't start until next year though.

I would only trade Griffey or Dunn if we could get very solid, proven players in return. I don't want "maybes" or "somedays" in exchange for these two proven studs. I also wouldn't trade Griffey nor Dunn in a vulgar, cheap attempt to shed salary either. Those days are over my friends.

I would attempt to trade Hatteberg, Conine, Weathers and Valentin for prospects. These players have some value that could be exchanged for something useful. We got Belisle by trading Kent Mercker, and each of these guys has at least as much value as Mercker did. Hatteberg is expendable because we have Votto ready and waiting to take his place.

I would shed Moeller and Castro for whatever we can get -- maybe a case of baseballs or a Bronson Arroyo bobblehead doll.

I would trade Thom Brennaman for a prospect too. Hey, announcers are Reds employees so why can't they be traded?

We will lose Milton's contract after this season, so that is $10 million per year to spend right there. You can get a darn good player for that kind of cash. Raise the payroll another $10 million and you can get a second stud free agent. You can do this and keep Dunn and Griffey.
    why do you want to trade Thom Brennaman, I would rather trade George Grande and Chris Welsh

Minor Leaguer
    AA ERA

Brennaman has value. Welsh and Grande do not.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Nice points alltogetherbut I would trade either Dunn or Griffey. Preferably Griffey as I believe he is a hotter commodity for a contender this year. I would be surprised if Griffey isn't traded by the deadline. Yes, I know he can veto any trade due to his 10-5 rule. But I think he wants a ring before he retires.

Trading Griffey could net something for us now or in the future and also free up money to gain more free agents this offseason. When you say we will have the Milton money this offseason, imagine us having Griffey's as well. I am pretty sure RCast will not be upgrading the team salary until we are contending.

Another great reason to trade Griffey is because we will eventually need to make room for Jay Bruce. Hamilton and Dunn will be manning CF and LF respectively. Bruce can slide right in to RF. And until he comes up, Freel is a viable option still in CF with Hamilton manning RF. I wouldn't be upset with this for next year:

Freel CF
    Phillips 2B
    Dunn LF
    EdE 3B
    Hamilton RF
    Votto 1B
    Gonzo SS
    Free Agent C (Milton's money)
    Pitcher

and when Bruce comes up:

Phillips 2B
    Hamilton CF
    Dunn LF
    EdE 3B
    Votto 1B
    Bruce RF
    Gonzo SS
    Pitcher

Rotation:
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Free Agent (Griffey's money)
    Belisle

I cant be too mad at that.

AAA ERA

Brennaman has value. Welsh and Grande do not.
    touche

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    Nice points alltogetherbut I would trade either Dunn or Griffey. Preferably Griffey as I believe he is a hotter commodity for a contender this year. I would be surprised if Griffey isn't traded by the deadline. Yes, I know he can veto any trade due to his 10-5 rule. But I think he wants a ring before he retires.

Trading Griffey could net something for us now or in the future and also free up money to gain more free agents this offseason. When you say we will have the Milton money this offseason, imagine us having Griffey's as well. I am pretty sure RCast will not be upgrading the team salary until we are contending.

Another great reason to trade Griffey is because we will eventually need to make room for Jay Bruce. Hamilton and Dunn will be manning CF and LF respectively. Bruce can slide right in to RF. And until he comes up, Freel is a viable option still in CF with Hamilton manning RF. I wouldn't be upset with this for next year:

Freel CF
    Phillips 2B
    Dunn LF
    EdE 3B
    Hamilton RF
    Votto 1B
    Gonzo SS
    Pitcher

and when Bruce comes up:

Phillips 2B
    Hamilton CF
    Dunn LF
    EdE 3B
    Votto 1B
    Bruce RF
    Gonzo SS
    Pitcher

Rotation:
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Belisle

i still say we try and throw Miltons money at Aaron Cook.

Minor Leaguer
    AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post

Freel CF
    Phillips 2B
    Dunn LF
    EdE 3B
    Hamilton RF
    Votto 1B
    Gonzo SS
    Pitcher

and when Bruce comes up:

Phillips 2B
    Hamilton CF
    Dunn LF
    EdE 3B
    Votto 1B
    Bruce RF
    Gonzo SS
    Pitcher

Rotation:
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Belisle

Good post. I wouldn't be too mad either. I am not sure that team would be a contender though. I guess it all depends on how Votto, Bruce and Encarnacion max out talentwise.

We should be able to get a free agent catcher for less than the 9-10 million/year that Milton gets now. Then we would have some extra money left over.

I think we need to add a closer to the list of free agent needs. We don't have a legitimate closer candidate in the minors in my opinion. Maybe last year's 2nd round pick Sean Watson could be the closer but the Reds view him as a starting pitcher. He is still in A-ball, but he appears to have the power stuff needed to be a dominant closer.

I don't have a problem with trading Griffey and/or Dunn as long as we get excellent value in return. I wouldn't trade them just to dump the salary. They are too good to dump just for a couple of long-term prospects. We need to get top-flight prospects nearly ready to play at the major league level. You said you would trade Griffey but you didn't mention what we would get in return. Any ideas? That could (should) affect the lineup you listed above.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I think if we trade Griffey we might as well trade for a closer type. But trading Griffey to a contender will not net us a closer as many teams will not be willing to deal their bullpen ace.

I didn't mention anything about our bullpen for next season either, so I think trading Griffey would have to net us something good in that area. I think things will be ok with Bray, Majewski, and possible Guardado and Coffey next season. I also like our young guys Burton, Coutlangus, and Salmon. Hopefully gaining a closer somehow will make things more legitimate as these young guys find their path and the other guys are recooperated.