Thread: Reds Leaders in Pitching Appearances

Wurtland Middle School
    Rookie ERA

Reds Leaders in Pitching Appearances

Coffey 26 games ERA 4.94
    Stanton 24 games ERA 6.06
    Saarloos 21 games ERA 5.09
    Coutlangus 21 games ERA 5.28

What would be YOUR guess as to what happens when your pitch guys that suck often?

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Re: Reds Leaders in Pitching Appearances

You either lose leads late, or give up runs that put games out of reach. Looking at what you posted Coffey has the lowest ERA of the bunch and he was sent down. Hopefully it was to let him regain his confidence. He was lights out last year until he was put into the closers role and then BAM he lost his confidence. Closer is a very tough position and just because you are pitching well does not mean you can close. I was for the move then as were most, BUT we cannot see these players day to day to see their mentality and how they handle the tough positions. That is where the manager and coaches come in. Hope Coffey fixes what eles him and comes back with a vengence........

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Why mess with failure is something I am sure is plastered onto the bullpen phone. I am hoping we're going to see appearances that numerous by players of that kind of performance die down since there are some newer options on the roster and I think perhaps the coaches are realizing that Salmon isn't half bad (he might not be the savior some are hoping for, but he's a good deal better than some of what we've been throwing out there.)

I would have to imagine those numbers look even worse when you consider the inherited runners guys like Coffey and Stanton have allowed through.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redram38 View Post
    You either lose leads late, or give up runs that put games out of reach. Looking at what you posted Coffey has the lowest ERA of the bunch and he was sent down. Hopefully it was to let him regain his confidence. He was lights out last year until he was put into the closers role and then BAM he lost his confidence. Closer is a very tough position and just because you are pitching well does not mean you can close. I was for the move then as were most, BUT we cannot see these players day to day to see their mentality and how they handle the tough positions. That is where the manager and coaches come in. Hope Coffey fixes what eles him and comes back with a vengence........
    I think Coffey was also sent down for the simple fact that he had options where as Stanton did not. I do agree with you however, the move to closer has just done horrid things to the way Coffey approaches tight situations. It's like a kid who wrecks his bike really badly and breaks a few bones, likely the next time he tries to hop on it might not be surprising if he is shaking a bit reliving the pain of the injury. Coffey seemed so much more timid out there and just like a different pitcher, hopefully blowing his stuff by AAA'ers and coming back up in more of a middle relief pitcher will start to let him regain his form and his composure on the mound.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Whoa.... okay Narron, please explain why our 2 worst pitchers in the bullpen are leading in appearances?
    the #1 Redszone Reject: TeamSelig

MLB ERA

Ridiculous, though I don't mind Coutlangus appearing a lot.

ERA's for relievers don't tell a whole lot. It's the inherited runners/peripherals.

Your overall point says a lot though...Narron is clueless.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post

Your overall point says a lot though...Narron is clueless.

But but but, he has done such a brilliant job