Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5/24 Minors Roundup

5/24 Minors Roundup

Louisville Won 5-4 in 10 innings

Joey Votto went 3-4 with a homer, run, and RBI. He's now posting a line of .310/.422/.500/.922 on the year. So much for the slow start? He did commit his 4th and 5th errors at 1st though.

Aaron Herr and Jeff Keppinger both collected 2 hits and are batting .311 and .384 respectively.

Livingston: 6.2 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 5 K. Gave up 3 homers.

The Lookouts lost 7-5

Drew Anderson went 2-3 with a run and rbi to raise his average to .293 on the year.

Janish went 0-4.

Vazquez: 2.1 IP, 6 H, 5 ER 3 BB, 0 K

Pelland: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 (unearned) R, 2 K, 0 BB

Dayton lost 5-0

Turner went 0-4.

Valaika went 1-2 with a double and a pair of walks

Francisco went 2-4, but commited his 13th error already.

Other notes:

Sarasota's game was suspended in the 4th with them losing 4-1. Johnny Cueto was on the mound.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: 5/24 Minors Roundup

Votto has come out of it for sure. Dude has been killing the ball in May. Both those errors have got to go. If something is going to hold him back, it will be his defense.

Keppinger continues to hit real well in Louisville as well. Good trade bait?

And what can I say about Valaika? The dude can mash. I can't wait to see what he does in Sarasota.

MLB ERA

I think we know Votto won't sniff the team until he stops having so many errors. Narron can't stand them.

And Livingston was a dream-world solution from the beginning. He simply isn't good; doesn't miss bats and doesn't have any real plus pitches.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

I still wouldn't be surprised if Edwin ends up at 1B and Votto in LF. Not saying I want it to happen, just that I wouldn't be surprised.

As for Keppinger, it appears he will never be anything more then a AAAA player.

It will be interesting to see if Aaron Herr gets a shot in Cincy later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    And Livingston was a dream-world solution from the beginning. He simply isn't good; doesn't miss bats and doesn't have any real plus pitches.
    Agreed, and IMO Dumatrait isn't any better.

The only realistic option in AAA is (obviously) Homer. If Dumatrait or Livingston turn out to be anything I'll be very surpised.

MLB ERA

I don't know if Edwin is scrappy enough to play 1B; at least in Jerry's World.

Of course hopefully that world explodes soon.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I think I would rather see Dumatrait and even Livingston still over Milton. Is that just me?

I am not even sure Votto is in the plans for this season anyways. Hatteberg and Conine won't be going anywhere unless Krivsky finds a way to deal them. So there really isn't room for him yet.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Agreed, and IMO Dumatrait isn't any better.

The only realistic option in AAA is (obviously) Homer. If Dumatrait or Livingston turn out to be anything I'll be very surpised.

Yup, same here. Dumatrait I had some slight hope on for a while, but when you really look at his peripherals, you just can't expect him to have big league success.

If multiple negative minor league numbers jump out at you, it is hard to have any faith in his ability.

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    I think I would rather see Dumatrait and even Livingston still over Milton. Is that just me?

I am not even sure Votto is in the plans for this season anyways. Hatteberg and Conine won't be going anywhere unless Krivsky finds a way to deal them. So there really isn't room for him yet.
    Well yeah I'd definatley rather see either of them over Milton. Milton definatley has no future with the Reds. I'll be surprised if Dumatrait or Bobby end up being anything, but I've been wrong before. Might as well see what you have.

You don't really need to deal Conine to get Votto up here. If Hatteberg is traded (and I think a team could be interested in him), then that opens the door for Joey.

Watching Edwin, Joey, and eventually Homer (and no Narron) would make this team much more exciting to watch. If you're going to lose, let the young guys learn and see what you got.

MLB ERA

How about "none of the above?"

Neither are really worth it, IMO.

They don't have the skill to save the team so what is the point in bringing them up?

Even if we are toast for the year, if Castellini and crew want to create any thrills in terms of the team, they will call up Homer (if anyone). He's the only one worth the bother.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I can agree with all that reds44. maybe Hatteberg does get dealt and then we would see room for Votto. I know it is a different situation than Bailey, but would Krivsky remain DanO like on us and work at a turtle's pace before calling up Votto after the room is made for him? But yes, I can agree there could be slight interest for Hatteberg.

I would add Hamitlon to the list of watching good young talent as well. Possibly even Phillips. I think we have a young nucleus in the majors now and waiting to be called up. All of which will keep my interests up for a while.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    How about "none of the above?"

Neither are really worth it, IMO.

They don't have the skill to save the team so what is the point in bringing them up?

Even if we are toast for the year, if Castellini and crew want to create any thrills in terms of the team, they will call up Homer (if anyone). He's the only one worth the bother.

So if they go with none of the above; you are fine with seeing this as your rotation?

Harang
    Arroyo
    Lohse
    Belisle
    Bailey

Or would it be better to try Lohse in the bullpen and call up Dumatrait?

I can agree with all that reds44. maybe Hatteberg does get dealt and then we would see room for Votto. I know it is a different situation than Bailey, but would Krivsky remain DanO like on us and work at a turtle's pace before calling up Votto after the room is made for him? But yes, I can agree there could be slight interest for Hatteberg.

I would add Hamitlon to the list of watching good young talent as well. Possibly even Phillips. I think we have a young nucleus in the majors now and waiting to be called up. All of which will keep my interests up for a while.
    Oh yeah, definatley can't leave out BP and Josh. I'm looking forward to seeing Hamilton, Edwin, Phillips, and Votto all in the same lineup later in the year.

It will be interesting to see how guys like Salmon, Coutlangus, and eventually Bray and McBeth fair out of the pen.

There are some interesting young guys that are close to being ready, they just all need to be on the field at the same time.

MLB ERA

So if they go with none of the above; you are fine with seeing this as your rotation?

Harang
    Arroyo
    Lohse
    Belisle
    Bailey

Or would it be better to try Lohse in the bullpen and call up Dumatrait?
    I'd take that rotation over one featuring both Livingston and Dumatrait.

I am still a fan of Belisle, despite a few rough performances recently.

His worst one of all was when Valentin was catching and you know what I have said all year about his pitch calling and ability to keep a rhythm with the pitchers.

Plus he has been slightly BABIP unlucky (.316) and has a DIPS ERA of 3.33 (good for 96th for ALL pitchers...both starters and relievers in MLB).

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    There are some interesting young guys that are close to being ready, they just all need to be on the field at the same time.
    And there is the rub/concern.

Is this organization ready to make that leap and trust in the young talent?

That seems to be their biggest problem right now.

It's time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast