Dunn lf
    Encarnacion 3b
    Ross c
    Belisle p

Re: 3/24/07 Reds vs. Nationals: Busy Day

Here's some stuff from Fay.

Coffey out, Majewski in

From the Reds:

CINCINNATI - The Cincinnati Reds today recalled from Class AAA Louisville RHP Gary Majewski and optioned to Louisville RHP Todd Coffey.

Majewski has pitched for the Bats all season and went 1-1 with a 4.50 ERA in 15 relief appearances (16ip, 14h, 8er, 4bb, 17k, 1hr). International League opponents hit just .233.

On April 20 vs Norfolk, Majewski allowed a season-high 6 earned runs while retiring just 2 batters. His ERA at Louisville without appearance drops to 1.17. He didn't allow a run in 8 games after that April 20 appearance (8.1 innings).

Late last season Majewski was on the 15-day disabled list with inflammation in his right shoulder, and he spent the early part of spring training strengthening that shoulder. He made 2 appearances for the Reds in spring training, on March 26 and March 28, then on March 29 was optioned to Louisville.

He last pitched for the Bats on Tuesday at Columbus (1.1ip, 2k).

Coffey went 1-1 with a 4.94 ERA in 26 relief appearances for the Reds. He is expected to report to Louisville tomorrow.
    Another transaction

From the Reds: "In another transaction, IF Enrique Cruz cleared waivers and was outrighted off the 40-man roster to Chattanooga.

Our 40-man roster is at 39 players."

That opens a spot to bring up, someone not on the 40-man. Homer Bailey is not on the 40-man. Presumptuous on my part? Probably. But I think the Reds moved more quickly on the Todd Coffey-Gary Majewski thing than they normally would.

A renewed sense of urgency, perhaps?
    More on Majewski

Jerry Narron was asked where he'll use Gary Majewski.

"Somewhere between the seventh and eighth inning," he said, "maybe the eighth and ninth."

So he won't be eased in?

"No, he's not going to be eased in," Narron said.

Majewski was very happy to be back in the big leagues. He thinks he's ready. He hadn't allowed a run in the his last 8 1/3 innings with Louisville, allowing only two hits and striking out 13.

"I was doing what I did back in the day: Grip it and rip it," he said. "Going after guys."

He understands he has to prove himself all over again.

"I talk all day about what used to be," he said. "Used to be is in the past. I've got to go about and put up zeros."

He was fine with possibility of facing his old club.

"It's just a weird coincidence," he said.
    For a time, it seemed as if Bill Bray would be ready more quickly than Gary Majewski.
    But that might not be the case.
    Majewski is pitching well at Triple-A Louisville.

Bray has had one rehabilitation outing for Single-A Sarasota. He threw a scoreless inning Monday, but his shoulder was tight Tuesday, so he did not pitch. It is not thought to be a major setback.
    "(But) I don't think they even have him scheduled for another (outing)," Reds manager Jerry Narron said.
    Bray, a 23-year-old left-hander, has been trying to come back from a broken index finger on his pitching hand since spring training.
    Majewski, a 27-year-old right-hander, has been on a roll for the Bats.
    He has allowed no runs and two hits over 81/3 innings in his last eight outings. He has struck out 13 and walked only two in that span.
    "He's close to where he was," Narron said. "We've been pleased with the way he's pitching. The only thing is, since his sister's funeral, he hasn't thrown back-to-back days."
    Louisville was off Wednesday. Majewski is likely to pitch today and Friday.
    HAMILTON UPDATE: Outfielder Josh Hamilton was examined by a gastroenterologist Wednesday afternoon. The Reds did not have results as of game time.
    Hamilton went on the disabled list Tuesday because of gastroenteritis.
    BARTON BACK: Longtime Reds scout Larry Barton Jr. was back at Great American Ball Park as a scout for the Texas Rangers.
    He resigned from the Reds after last season and had some harsh words for general manager Wayne Krivsky on his way out. But Barton agrees with Krivsky on one thing: Homer Bailey's not ready for the major leagues.
    Barton saw Bailey pitch for Louisville Tuesday against Columbus. Bailey went 52/3 innings, allowing one unearned run on one hit.
    "He looked good," Barton said. "But he needs to command his fastball better. His curveball was good. He still doesn't think he needs to throw his changeup. But he'll be OK."
    PREACHING PATIENCE: Ryan Freel has been thrown out six times in 14 steal attempts. That's a 57 percent success rate.
    Last year, he stole 37 bases in 48 attempts, a 77 percent success rate.
    Narron would like to see Freel up the rate to around that level this year.
    "We'd like to see him be more patient," Narron said. "When everybody knows you're a base stealer, they're going to do everything they can to shut you down. You've got to pick your spots. There are times you do not want to go.
    "If he's patient, he's going to steal some bases."
    Have the Reds made that clear to Freel?
    "We've definitely talked about it," Narron said.
    LOOKING LONG: With Kirk Saarloos in the rotation, the Reds are down to one long reliever: Victor Santos.
    "If Santos isn't available, we'll go inning by inning," Narron said. "Somebody's going to have to go two - somebody who ordinarily doesn't - (Todd) Coffey, (Brad) Salmon or (Jared) Burton - possibly even three."
    HITTING RIGHT IN: The Reds were looking for a spot for Carson Kainer, their 14th-round pick in last year's draft, to make his professional debut.
    The spot opened in high Single-A at Sarasota, a tough place to start. Kainer has done OK - well, better than that. He had a hit in seven of his first 13 at-bats.
    Kainer delayed the start of his pro career to have a kidney transplant.
    "He's had no problems at all as far as his health," player development director Terry Reynolds said. "We were thinking about moving him (down). But if he holds his own, we might leave him there. So far, he has."
    There's some stuff to digest.

MLB ERA

I hope Majewski does a better job of missing bats, though nothing indicates he will. Either way, one would think he will be an upgrade over Coffey at this point, though a savior by no stretch.

The lineup is not good with Gonzalez and his low OBP second, Phillips still fourth, Conine fifth and Dunn behind him in the six place, but it's a Narron lineup so it doesn't look as bad as some of the other ones thrown out there featuring Hopper, Castro and Moeller.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

I do not care for this lineup. I do not like SeaBass 2nd, BP at cleanup, and Dunn so low in the order.

We know Dunn does his best work hitting 2nd in the other which is precisely why he rarely hits there, I suppose.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I do not care for this lineup. I do not like SeaBass 2nd, BP at cleanup, and Dunn so low in the order.

We know Dunn does his best work hitting 2nd in the other which is precisely why he rarely hits there, I suppose.
    Shh... quiet with that kind of talk. Who wants walks and someone to take advantage of good pitches being thrown to avoid the hot hitting Griffey later in the game. It's not like the two spot is important in the lineup construction as Narron seems to do just fine with batting 7th and 8th spot hitters there.

Dunn is better at 2, Gonzalez is better at 7th, so this is logical in bizzaro world I suppose.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Once again Narron left is tiny little brain at the house and forgot to bring it to the game.

Listening to Marty discuss what happened last night makes me sick. Hopefully Majewski can make things a little better. We need another nice offensive game tonight and we need Belisle to be on his game.

Lets go Reds!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

I have never seen mlb.tv take this long to get started. I fear I may miss the first pitch. UGH!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Haha:

Welsh: "Well the observation that the bullpen needed help was a very good one."

Ummm, how long did it take them to "observe" this?

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter View Post
    I have never seen mlb.tv take this long to get started. I fear I may miss the first pitch. UGH!
    I hate that stupid Dick's commercial.

MLB ERA

Felipe: foul, ball 1, grounder to 2B. 1 out.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA

Guzman: ball one, HR to RF. 1-0 Nats. Wow. Guzman.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I hate that stupid Dick's commercial.

Yep, I hate it when I am shifting from 400k to 700k because it plays that even if you are in the middle of the game. Sucks!

MLB ERA

Terrible pitch to Guzman.

That didn't take long.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Speaking of sucks!

Mission, where is the Guzman quote?

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast