Thread: Bailey

Bailey

I am so sick of this organization not giving their deserving starters a chance.We all want to see this kid,however when a fifth starter was needed we call up anyone other than Bailey.I wonder what that does to his psyche to see lesser players getting called up.
    I know there's alot of different opinions on what to do with Bailey,but now is the time to bring him up and see what he's got.Cole Hamels last year got knocked around some,now he is for real,Tim Lincecum with the Giants is a stud,Weaver with the Angels.
    I'm just frustrated as we all are with this team,and it would be nice to see a bright spot for a change this season.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    I am so sick of this organization not giving their deserving starters a chance.We all want to see this kid,however when a fifth starter was needed we call up anyone other than Bailey.I wonder what that does to his psyche to see lesser players getting called up.
    I know there's alot of different opinions on what to do with Bailey,but now is the time to bring him up and see what he's got.Cole Hamels last year got knocked around some,now he is for real,Tim Lincecum with the Giants is a stud,Weaver with the Angels.
    I'm just frustrated as we all are with this team,and it would be nice to see a bright spot for a change this season.
    I am on the fence about Bailey, mostly due to the fact that I haven't see him pitch since the future's game last season. You have to keep in mind with some of those pitchers you mentioned, like Weaver and Lincecum, that they were collegiate pitchers who were virtually MLB ready from the draft. Hamels is probably a better comparison point to Bailey, being a high schooler who spent a lot of time rising through the system, but many scouts (within and outside the Phillies) felt like he was fairly ready for major league action despite the limited AAA experience. Bailey has a few more question marks I think at this point still, so that could be holding the Reds back also like the fact that Bailey would be the first significant starting pitching prospect to make it from the draft to the roster since Brett Tomko (versus the Phillies who have had their fair share of plus arms making the team.)

I understand the feeling though, I am on the fence as I feel that same optimism and desire to see him but I am also a bit cautious about it. I just hope the Reds make the right decision and not one to appease us or to stimulate fan interest if he isn't ready.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Re: Bailey

Let's face it, he just isn't ready. Although the other pitchers being mentioned here were young like Bailey that doesn't mean a thing. It's the attributes that each shows that gets them the spot in the show.

His youth has very little to do with his stay in AAA, it's more about the fact that he cannot seem to contain himself from throwing nothing but gas. Yeah it's great gas but ML hitters could catch up to a rocket if they know that's what's coming. He has to 1st harness that change-up and/or learn to keep hitters off balance with what he has.

When he does those 2 things he will be here for good, god willing.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.