Thread: Krivsky Denies Waiting To Callup Homer Due To Starting His Service Time Clock

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Krivsky Denies Waiting To Callup Homer Due To Starting His Service Time Clock

Krivsky: Bailey club's priority
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM AND KEVIN KELLY

There's been a lot of speculation that one of the reasons Homer Bailey hasn't been called up to the Reds is that the club doesn't want to start his service-time clock.

"That's a bunch of garbage," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "The only thing we're concerned about is to do right by Homer Bailey."

If the Reds were to bring up Bailey anytime soon, there's a good chance he'd be a "Super Two" in 2009 and not need that third full year to qualify for arbitration.

Here's how Super Twos are defined by the players' association:

"A player with at least two but less than three years of Major League service shall be eligible for salary arbitration if he has accumulated at least 86 days of service during the immediately preceding season and he ranks in the top 17 percent in total service in the class of Players who have at least two but less than three years of Major League service, however accumulated, but with at least 86 days of service accumulated during the immediately preceding season."

The cutoff date for Super Twos usually falls around July 1.

"Forget all that," Krivsky said. "We're trying to win games."

Bailey, a 21-year-old right-hander, returned from the disabled list (groin strain) Monday and pitched for Triple-A Louisville. He went 52/3 innings in a 6-5 win over Columbus, allowing one hit and one unearned run, to improve to 4-1 with a 1.99 ERA. He struck out seven and walked one.
    Link

So far, Krivsky has played it right with Bailey and I can only trust in these comments given his past behavior and comments regarding him. I am a believer in there being a "right time," meaning not too early and not too late, to callup big-time prospects so the team can capitalize on whatever momentum the prospect is coming up with. Obviously waiting a bit too long wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but to callup Homer when he has absolute faith in his stuff and when he is filled with confidence would be nothing but good news for him and this team.

Re: Krivsky Denies Waiting To Callup Homer Due To Starting His Service Time Clock

I don't doubt that they're holding him back for the right reasons. I just doubt that they have any idea when to bring him up at the right time. Wayne's earned none of my faith.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Re: Krivsky Denies Waiting To Callup Homer Due To Starting His Service Time Clock

I think he hasn't been called up this season because of his strange fetish with walking batters this season. (Hyperbole: he hasn't been THAT bad, but not dominating like normal)... plus there was the injury.

But if he continues his success with his next 2-3 starts, then I think the answer is yes, he is waiting for the arbitration clock, which by the way, I hope it happens. There's no sense in bringing him up now, as we're not in any playoff race by no means.

I think this is one of those things where pride and all that stuff gets into the way of the truth. Something no GM would ever admit...
    the #1 Redszone Reject: TeamSelig

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I don't doubt that they're holding him back for the right reasons. I just doubt that they have any idea when to bring him up at the right time. Wayne's earned none of my faith.
    Wayne's earned none of your faith? You mean the guy who got Arroyo, Phillips, Ross, and Hamilton for pennies on the dollar? No, I totally agree that Krivsky doesn't have a clue how to run an organization and I just hope that Homer arrives here at the right time. Considering all the blunders that Krivsky has made, a mistake with Homer would be the costliest by far.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I think he hasn't been called up this season because of his strange fetish with walking batters this season. (Hyperbole: he hasn't been THAT bad, but not dominating like normal)... plus there was the injury.

But if he continues his success with his next 2-3 starts, then I think the answer is yes, he is waiting for the arbitration clock, which by the way, I hope it happens. There's no sense in bringing him up now, as we're not in any playoff race by no means.

I think this is one of those things where pride and all that stuff gets into the way of the truth. Something no GM would ever admit...
    Yea, I agree with you there. I see no reason to bring him up right now either. Just wait a little bit longer b/c of the arbitration clock.

AA ERA

i agree with Wayne here, we dont "need" to see how he will do in the majors right now. always that chance to get hurt or something. But honestly, what else do he need to prove in the minors?? Hughes got a shot in the majors... why not Bailey..(bad example since hughes got hurt)

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

I believe also that the groin injury held him back for a while, and we aren't in need of him being in the rotation right now. Its the bullpen we need to worry about, I know lately the starters have done it in for us, but they will come back to their form and pitch well. We can't win games by powering the ball over the fence every at-bat like we have been, it just won't happen all season for us. We definately need some pen help if we want this to have any chance of turning this season around and making the postseason.

quick the shark repellent
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I concur. I don't think WK has any idea of when to bring him up. I have lost faith in WK.

He has made some good moves but, the raw amount of ridiculous moves far out weighs the positives. IMO

Good-
    Arroyo
    Hamilton
    Phillips
    Hatteburg (he produces say what you like)
    Ross (in 2006)

Bad-
    Ross (in 2007)
    "The Trade" (This should count at least twice btw)
    Frenchie's extension
    The failure to piece together a bullpen
    The 14 million $$ contract to Gonzalez
    Stanton for 2 years
    SENDING EE TO AAA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    still lack of a 3 4 or 5 pitcher in the rotation. Wait my mistake! We have 3 #5 pitchers and 2 #2's...

The list runs on and on and this was just off the top of my head while I only have a few minutes on my "smoke break"

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Nothing to be ashamed of.

Homer needs to start ringing up the K's again before we call him up.

I think Homer will be up by mid-June; I think they've just been waiting for him to show a little better control, which he has done of late. And Lohse is playing right into Homer's game plan for pitching in the bigs this summer...

If they continue to lose like this, they're going to need something to try and boost attendance this summer, and I'd bet Cast is counting on Homer for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post

If they continue to lose like this, they're going to need something to try and boost attendance this summer, and I'd bet Cast is counting on Homer for that.
    This is dead-on. If this FO has shown a sweettooth, it's for stirring up fan interest/turn-out. Not so much concerned about the manager or the product on the field or the team's record necessarily, but boy they sure as heck want the fans to come out and see the geeks.

Think about how little energy was put into crafting the team this offseason and how much energy was put into getting Baby Brennemann, the Cowboy, pimping Redsfest, and boosting the number of promotional nights at the park.

Now there's nothing wrong at all with trying to sell the product, but they went a little overboard this offseason--and they might just go overboard again by promoting Bailey too soon in order to maintain interest in the team and keep asses in the seats.

Minor Leaguer
    AA ERA

Yep, I agree with you guys. The Reds' biggest concern is keeping the fans coming to the park.

I don't think they should rush Homer to the bigs, but I bet they will anyway. If the arb clock isn't a factor in Krivsky's thinking then he is being foolish. It should be a factor. Not the only factor, but it has to be taken into consideration.

If he does turn out to be as good as we hope then we will be upset in a few years when we lose him to free agency a season earlier than we had to just because WK and BC wanted to sell a few more tickets during a hopeless season in 2007.

We need to wait until he has proven he is ready for the promotion. The guy is special. He shouldn't be treated as just another player to use in trying to win a couple extra games this year.