Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/22 Nationals vs Reds: Let's Make It Two In A Row

MLB ERA

5/22 Game thread, welcome all new commers!

i probably won't be around to post in the thread as i gotta work tonight and i have yet to goto sleep.

preview per espn.com:

Quote Originally Posted by espn.com
    After an encouraging homestand, the Washington Nationals once again looked like the worst team in the National League.

The Nationals will look to avoid their longest road losing streak in more than 30 years Tuesday when they continue a four-game series with the Cincinnati Reds at Great American Ball Park.

Washington (16-29) blew a six-run lead Monday, falling 8-7 in the series opener. The Nationals, who have not won away from home since April 30 at San Diego, have dropped nine in a row on the road for the first time since May 2-17, 2002.

They have not lost 10 consecutive road games since an 11-game slide Aug. 2-27, 1976, when the franchise was still based in Montreal.

Washington came into this series on the heels of a 7-3 homestand that included a three-game sweep of Florida and three wins in four games over Atlanta. Monday's game was especially frustrating as the Nationals led 6-0 after two innings -- an impressive outburst for a team that had not scored more than seven runs in any game this season.

Austin Kearns, who was acquired along with shortstop Felipe Lopez from the Reds in an eight-player deal on July 13, homered in the second inning in the first meeting between the teams since the trade. The Reds filed a grievance this month claiming that Washington general manager Jim Bowden -- who was fired in Cincinnati in 2003 -- failed to fully inform them about Gary Majewski's sore pitching shoulder before the trade.

Javier Valentin hit a pinch-hit homer in the eighth and Scott Hatteberg went 3-for-4 with a homer and four RBIs for Cincinnati (18-27), which won for just the fifth time in 19 games. The win boosted the Reds into a virtual tie with St. Louis for last place in the NL Central.

"The way we started the game, we thought it was going to be ugly," said Valentin, who won it with the fifth pinch-hit homer of his career.

Ken Griffey Jr. added his 572nd career homer, moving him one behind Harmon Killebrew for eighth place on the all-time list. Second baseman Brandon Phillips went 0-for-4, though, ending his hitting streak at 22 games. It was the longest streak in the NL this season.

Kirk Saarloos (0-3, 5.09 ERA) will start Tuesday for Cincinnati after making 20 relief appearances. Saarloos lost out to Matt Belisle for the No. 5 spot in the rotation in spring training, but was promoted to fill in for the injured Eric Milton, and said he hopes to remain in the rotation.

"Definitely -- I'll take the ball and kind of run with it and go where it goes," he told the Reds' official Web site. "If you do good, you'll get more opportunities."

Saarloos, in his first season with the Reds, owns a 2.19 ERA in 13 outings at home -- as opposed to an 11.89 mark on the road.

He has made 69 career starts for Houston and Oakland, going 24-23 with a 5.04 ERA in those outings, and went 6-6 with a 4.88 ERA in 16 starts last season for the A's. Saarloos started in his only previous appearance against the Nationals franchise, allowing one run in 5 1-3 innings of a 5-4 win for the Astros in Montreal.

Washington will counter with Matt Chico (3-4, 5.44), who gave up three runs in six innings of Thursday's 4-3 win over Atlanta. The rookie left-hander, who is making his first start against the Reds, has allowed seven runs in 17 1-3 total innings in his last three starts, lowering his ERA from 6.59 over that span.

"He is not going to back down. That's what we like about him. We like his mental makeup," Acta told the Nationals' official Web site.

Chico, though, is 0-4 in as many road starts with a 6.30 ERA.
    NATIONALS
    Lopez, 2b
    Guzman, ss
    Zimmerman, 3b
    Young, 1b
    Kearns, rf
    Schneider, c
    Logan, cf
    Langerhans, lf
    Chico, lhp

REDS
    Freel cf
    Gonzalez ss
    Junior rf
    Phillips 2b
    Conine 1b
    Dunn lf
    Encarnacion 3b
    Ross c
    Saarloos p

OBP vs LHP

Freel - .197
    Gonzalez - .288
    Junior - .403
    Phillips - .369
    Conine - .357
    Dunn - .313
    Encarnacion - .333
    Ross - .238
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

Re: 5/22 Game thread, welcome all new commers!

Not his worst effort but, I do not like Gonzo at number 2.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

5/22 Nationals vs Reds: Let's Make It Two In A Row

vs.
      Washington Nationals  Cincinnati Reds
    #Pos.Name...Pos.Name
    1.2BFelipe Lopez...CFRyan Freel
    2.SSChristian Guzman...SSAlex Gonzales
    3.3BRyan Zimmerman...RFKen Griffey Jr.
    4.1BDmitri Young...2BBrandon Phillips
    5.RFAustin Kearns...1BJeff Conine
    6.CBrian Schneider...LFAdam Dunn
    7.CFNook Logan...3BEdwin Encarnacion
    8.LFRyan Langerhans...CDavid Ross
    9.PMatt Chico...PKirk Saarloos

MLB ERA

Re: 5/22 Nationals vs Reds: Let's Make It Two In A Row

Chico's gonna give up a lot of walks today.

Winning the Human Race
    AA ERA

That Nats lineup is WEAK.
    I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    That Nats lineup is WEAK.
    What's hilarious is how badly it pounded our starter last night. Hilarious like a ruptured testicle.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    What's hilarious is how badly it pounded our starter last night. Hilarious like a ruptured testicle.
    or funny like how narron has no clue on how to use arroyo and will prolly end him up on the DL.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It's funny how much better a lineup can look when we're not starting Norris Hopper or Juan Castro (let alone putting them in key spots in the lineup.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

We're about 20 minutes from game time, how do you guys think Saarloos will fare tonight?

MLB ERA

i'm hoping he'll atleast go 5 but i know narron will push him to his limit because of the work the BP got last night.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

I know it is against left handed pitching, BUT I HATE Dunn 7th and Gonzo 2nd. AAGGGHHHH
    Glad to see Edwin back. Other than Ross the 2 lowest OBP are batting 1-2 ?????

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Wow, that is amazing that if the Reds win tonight, this would be our first back to back win since May 1st. I knew the slump was so bad that it wasn't fair to all other slumping teams to use the term as well, but I guess I decide to block as much of that out as I could.

Did anyone hear what Krivsky was saying? I missed it as my Time Warner cable was skipping in and out.

Minor Leaguer
    AA ERA

They should flip Dunn and Gonzalez in that lineup. I still think batting Dunn in front of Griffey will result in Dunn seeing lots more fastballs.

I can't understand Gonzalez anywhere near the top of the lineup.

Saarloos should be able to handle this Nats batting order.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Whats up guys! I had a lot of meetings today which will continue tomorrow. Pretty much changing the face of the Air Force security of nucleur weapons.

Anyhow, I am here for the game. Good to see a lot of our new guys in here!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Saarloos starting. UGH. But better than Milton for sure. EdE is back! Just got the news reading the lineups. Very good to see that. I hope he has a solid game.

I agree, it is nice to see Hopper and Castro are not starting. Hamilton is still sick I take it?

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast