Thread: Has there been any word of how the front office is viewing spending in the draft?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Has there been any word of how the front office is viewing spending in the draft?

With exams and the aftermath of exams (sleeping WAY too much, eating something other than junk food and drinking a liquid other than coffee) it's very possible I've missed anything that's been reported in that area. Anyone who follows the draft knows that year after year there are quality prospects (often late 1st round/2nd round guys) that slip through the cracks due to the Boras effect or just expected difficulty to sign. I read that the Reds might not be opposed to dealing with a Boras client, but that was in the first round context. I am really hoping R-Cast will be opening up his change purse, because given Krivsky's desire to win (as evident by how many players he has locked up for several years) I am really doubting the great firesale will come (at least this year) and with having a farm with talent in the top 10 but shallow depth, this would certainly make up for the lackluster free agent spending to bolster the team.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

Re: Has there been any word of how the front office is viewing spending in the draft?

Not yet, must be status quo!

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Has there been any word of how the front office is viewing spending in the draft?

To me, this draft is very huge on several accounts. One level is that we simply need to find out where Krivsky's head is at. Will he do as he did last year and pass up a guy like Lincecum even when we were in a big need for SP?

Another level is that we need this pick to be extremely well calculated. I think it is obvious that we should stay away from outfielders if we are not wanting to trade Bruce, Stubbs, or Hamilton by the time that outfielder is ready to come up. I really believe they are a true future for this organization.

You have to look at what we have now and calculate the depth to find out what a crucial need is. My line of thinking goes like this:

Depth at each position:

C: Ross (sad he is our best option), Valentin (can't call a game), Moeller (get rid of him)
    1B: Votto (2008), Hatteberg (tradeable, good PH), Conine (tardeable)
    2B: Phillips (good to go), Turner (2009 or 2010)
    3B: EdE (good to go), Valaika (could be a big future (09)), Francisco (could be good)
    SS: Valaika (2009), Gonzo (stopgap for Valaika)
    LF: Dunn (tradeable), Bruce (future superstar)
    CF: Hamilton (future star), Bruce (future superstar), Stubbs (2009)
    RF: Griffey (tradeable), Bruce (future superstar), Hamilton (future star)
    SP: Harang (good to go), Arroyo (good to go), Bailey (future stud), Belisle (could be decent), Dumatrait (could be decent), Cueto/Wood, nothing
    Pen: Black Hole

To me, the pressing issue is at catcher and the bullpen. Obviously, in a perfect world you want to fix those things now either by FA or trade so you can contend now. But even after you acquire talent in those two areas, you still lack any depth at all. I think you have to go after SP in the next picks thereafter.

I am not too sure what the Reds are looking at. I haven't heard much of anything other than seeing a few mock drafts. I don't have a subscription to Baseball America and do not know what they have us picking either. But that usually gives you an indication of some kind about where they are looking.

Negative Optimist
    AAA ERA

I prefer to look at the depth slightly different. Not saying yours is wrong, I just value some a little differently. BTW just combining our current platoons for those who don't recognize those particular guys.

Now - The Future

C: Javid Rossentin - Miguel Perez (I still have hope for him)

1B: Scoff Coberg - Joey Votto (slow start but Griffey-esque recently)

2B: Brandon Phillips - Chris Valaika (I don't know about Turner, but I think Valaika plays 2B eventually)

SS: Gonzo - Paul Janish

3B: EE - Juan Francisco (Will have problems offensively moving forward)

LF: Dunn - Bruce (Could play any OF position, depending on the development of others)

CF: Hamilton - Drew Stubbs

RF: Griffey - Hamilton

Catcher and 3B look to be spots of concern down the road assuming the rest of these guys pan out. And fortunately there will be some guys around our 1st pick with promise in that area. Also don't rule out a SS if the right one is there.

Matt Mangini, 3B, L-R, 6’4, 220, Oklahoma State
    Mangini is a good all-around 3B who will develop quickly.

Matt Dominguez, 3B, R-R, 6’2, 180, Chatsworth HS, California
    Josh Vitters 3B (<is a likely top 5 pick) getting most of the attention, but Dominguez isn’t all that far behind him.

J.P. Arencibia, C, R-R, 6’0, 210, Tennessee
    Has a great bat. He might not stay behind the plate, but so far scouts seem to think he has a good chance to do so.

Mitch Canham, C, R-R, 6'2, 215, Oregon State
    Promising bat and the athleticism to be an above-average catcher. Now he just needs a few years at the position to adjust to its nuances.

Justin Jackson, SS, R-R, 6’2, 175, T.C. Roberson HS, Asheville, NC
    A Blue-Chip prospect at the position.

Both Mangini and Jackson are expected to be gone at our pick, so I fully expect the decision come down to Dominguez or a Pitcher. As pitching is always a commodity that you can never have enough of. There are numerous possiblities in this area for us. The Catchers are a possibility but unless they feel one is more valuable than most "experts feel" they will likely go later.

When and how the Reds add to their five World Championships, nine pennants and nine division titles seems less important than the franchises' lineage, which traces a line back to the dawn of the professional game and their role as keeper of the historic flame they lit by birthing the Red Stockings in 1869.

AAA ERA

i gotta go with redsr and say we need to look Catcher.. i think Ross and Javey can stop gap a couple years.. its sad, but true.

1B would be possible, depending on Votto's development or 3B if EdE moves to 1st.

and of course we always need pitching either starting or relief.

as far as 2B goes, I am now sold on Phillips for the most part, so no real need to go there anytime soon.. SS is big need soon as Gonzo isn't a long term solution.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

You have to look farther into the future to pick at depth. Can't just draft a catcher because ours suck and we have no options in the minors. That will just have to be a spot we will fill in free agency.

A prospect likely won't make it to the majors for at least 3 years (exceptions: Wagner, Zimmerman, etc.)

I like the Best Player Available approach alot better.
    the #1 Redszone Reject: TeamSelig

MLB ERA

I hardly look at "need" when it comes to the draft. Because usually they are so far off that its not forseeable. Alot of these guys will bust for whatever reason, plus you get what 50 tries . Go with who you feel will contribute the most to the team into the future, you can always try to mix and match positions if needed. IE Votto in LF for 1 game.

Its not like we got any real star quality depth anywhere (except OF), draft day you take whatever player is highest rated by scouts, personel, etc. That's just my 2 cents.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Usually the best player available is a solid approach, especially for an organization just looking to gain depth with hopeful star quality. But the Reds have over-looked the catcher spot for several drafts now in terms of using a relatively high draft pick on one and you can obviously tell that is the case when examining our overall minor league depth at that position.

AAA ERA

i really think the problem in the past is that the Reds had a philosphy of drafting guys that they felt would be easier to sign, and therby passed on a lot of guys that experts wouldn't have passed on.. although i still want to figure how we missed Brandon Webb and Aaron Cook