Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winning streak up ahead?

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Winning streak up ahead?

Go Javy!!!

I started watching the game at about the 4th inning... so of course I was asleep at around the 6th lol... I woke up a little when the Nats OFers botched that fly ball. Thought maybe we had a chance, but figured it would just be a little teaser and we'd lose like usual. Then Javy with the clutch HR, and I was out of my coma for good!

Anyone think this will spark the club for a while? We desperately need a little 5 game winning streak or so.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Winning streak up ahead?

Yep, that is exactly what I was saying in the gamethread tonight. I think that HR was a long time coming. Maybe too long. I am very glad to see it finally happen. This team came back from a 6 run defecit tonight and should be going to bed with a little more purpose to get up tomorrow and be ready to continue where they left off.

There were some bad things in the game tonight (namely Arroyo's start) but we got the win and the spark we needed. Hopefully this team can build on it.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The stars are aligning with the moon as about the best that they can since we just overcame a huge deficit, had a big-time emotional homerun to gain the lead and we have three more games with the worst team in baseball (record wise). So if there is anytime to string together a winning streak, the time is now. We just need to get back within striking distance (5, 6 games) of the Brewers before its too late and all hope is lost. Let's hope that this win is the straw that will stir this drink, because things have been way too stagnant for too long.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Agreed. The time is now. We really need to see the Reds beat up on the bad teams before they are proven to be a bad team themselves.

I am strting to feel like the bullpen can get it going as well. Weathers and Coutlangus are already good go to guys. And I can't dislike Salmon or Burton either (small sample size). I also like a lot of guys due to come off the DL and due to get called up. Majik, Bray, Guardado, McBeth. So we may be in good shape there.

It sure would be nice to get this team where they need to be so Krivsky can set something up to make that one trade that will push us over the top. Oops, did I say too much there for those of you still plagued by dreams of "The Trade?"

MLB ERA

Yeah, they definitely needed this one.

They might be able to start winning some more games if Narron properly utlizlies his bullpen; meaning Coutlangus, Salmon, Burton and Weathers see more time, while Stanton and Coffey (at least now) see less time. The power arms should be stuck in the high-leverage situations.

The starting rotation needs to get rolling again, because it seems to have hit a bit of a wall. Lohse's pitching has been pretty worrisome lately (I am likely going Wednesday night for Arroyo's bobblehead night and will try to scout Lohse's pitching) and Harang's arm has worried me. The Milton/Saarloos revolving door is questionable.

Narron could make the lineup better with some changes in who starts and the locations of said starters. Move Dunn to the two-hole again behind Freel (where he seems most comfortable), leave Griffey 3rd, stick Hamilton in the cleanup spot when he returns (I like him best there), put Phillips 5th, Hatteberg/Conine 6th, Gonzalez 7th and Ross 8th. Don't change lineups so often.

The team has also been unlucky in terms of their pythagorean record, so let's up some normalization starts here.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

The starting pitching is what worries me most right now. Far cry from what I was complaining about a week ago. But with Harang having some sort of problem that has not been disclosed yet. Arroyo coming out of the game even after he batted in the bottom of the 2nd inning which could indicate a possible health issue. CRF mentioned Lohse and the Milton/Saarloos saga and I will saythat Belisle is inconsistant as well. This rotation is scary.

I think the best case scenario is to hope that Harang is healthy and Arroyo was just tired from a long 129 pitch game last week. Then we can further hope that one of Lohse and Belisle can become respectable for the remainder of the season. Finally, just getting Bailey called up and see if he can come in with a bang. These are all needed possibilities that are major factors in where this team is headed.

MLB ERA

I am to the point where I think the team either needs to concede the season and sell or not concede and bring up Bailey immediately to get his feet wet.

As I have mentioned (since this past offseason), the rotation still might prove to be one of if not the bigget issue for the team. The talent is greater than in years past, but past Arroyo and Harang (fully healthy), the rotation still has a lot of question marks. Lohse might be returning to "form," (he is known as a head-case) and the fifth slot needs no explanation. I like Belisle in the rotation, but he is still inexperienced as a starter and is going through a tough period right now (especially when Valentin catches him).

It's time for Bailey or time for the team to admit they are cooked and can Narron.

Right now.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Minor Leaguer
    AA ERA

If the Reds are going to make a run now is the time to do it. With series against Washington and Pittsburgh we should be able to make up some ground and get back in the running. If we fail against these teams then it will be time for a management shakeup.

I bet they will bring up Bailey in June so his arbitration clock doesn't start this year. Same with Votto. Votto had a big night tonight. I think Votto will be a big improvement over Hatteberg as the starter, and Hatteberg will be a big improvement over Valentin/Castro/Hopper as the best pinch-hitter.

I hope to goodness Arroyo's brief outing wasn't related to the abusive heavy overwork Narron has subjected him too lately.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30 View Post
    I am to the point where I think the team either needs to concede the season and sell or not concede and bring up Bailey immediately to get his feet wet.

As I have mentioned (since this past offseason), the rotation still might prove to be one of if not the bigget issue for the team. The talent is greater than in years past, but past Arroyo and Harang (fully healthy), the rotation still has a lot of question marks. Lohse might be returning to "form," (he is known as a head-case) and the fifth slot needs no explanation. I like Belisle in the rotation, but he is still inexperienced as a starter and is going through a tough period right now (especially when Valentin catches him).

It's time for Bailey or time for the team to admit they are cooked and can Narron.

Right now.
    As you know, I am a big believer in coddling the minors, especially a talent like Bailey. But if he's healthy, can maintain his control and has developed his secondary pitches enough to succeed (which sounds to be the case from most reports) we have to bring him up. He will not only generate excitement among the fans but among the players as well (we've heard the glorifying praise some have given too him) because this rotation needs a shot in arm and another potential stopper as Harang has taken on the role of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde this season. My only concern is that if he is brought up, he might feel the pressure to be the savior of the team at this point and who knows what that would do to his performance and ultimately his mechanics (if he changes them as a result of poor performance.)

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

As soon as his control gets a little less shaky, I am all for him to be in the majors. He really doesn't have much else to prove. I'd like for him to get a couple starts in this year, but not too many. Keep him fresh, low pitch count, etc.... from what I have read, Homer seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and realizes he will struggle in the bigs. I think with that attitude, along with his ability, and him striving to get better and work hard at doing it, he will be our ace for years to come.

MLB ERA

Yeah, good points, mission.

I do think the tema needs a shot in the arm and he should be just that.

I get this vibe from him that he won't lose confidence if he has a rough outing or two. I think his demeanor is good.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    If the Reds are going to make a run now is the time to do it. With series against Washington and Pittsburgh we should be able to make up some ground and get back in the running. If we fail against these teams then it will be time for a management shakeup.

I bet they will bring up Bailey in June so his arbitration clock doesn't start this year. Same with Votto. Votto had a big night tonight. I think Votto will be a big improvement over Hatteberg as the starter, and Hatteberg will be a big improvement over Valentin/Castro/Hopper as the best pinch-hitter.

I hope to goodness Arroyo's brief outing wasn't related to the abusive heavy overwork Narron has subjected him too lately.

Yeah I don't see Bailey coming up earlier than June for sure. If not for any other reason than getting him from gaining arbitration rights. I think we have to wait on Bailey unless we absolutely need a replacement for Milton soon. His BB are up and Ks are down. Naturally it will happen as you move up and it is not at a gross number, but I think he can do better. That and I am still a little concerned with the groin injury and hope it doesn't set him back farther than expected.

On Votto, I am wondering why he has been playing LF lately.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

I'd rather them not mess with Votto. Or EdE for that matter.

It almost stirs up a Votto to LF, Encarnacion to 1B, Dunn to another team.

MLB ERA

I think Krivsky was high on Dunn, but I'm beginning to wonder how he's feeling about him right now.

He's probably getting influenced by Narron to a degree and we know Jerry doesn't think Dunn plays the game the right way. If only he could be like Juan Castro.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Not messing with EdE? You mean not changing positions on him right? But you still need him in Cincy, right?

If that is what you mean, I agree. EdE just has to get that arm under control. I never disliked his glove at all. He has range for a third bagger too. Just get that arm under control.

But that was what I was worried about. Moving Votto to LF means Dunn either goes to 1B or is traded. That would be the worst thing the Reds could do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast