Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winning streak up ahead?

Re: Winning streak up ahead?

I don't care how logical Mission was about Dunn, but just some thoughts for a year from now

whooooooo....send Dunn to Boston....whooooo...we'll give you candy, and Coco Crisp, he can slaaaaaaaaaaap hit and bunt for singles....whooooooo
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Minor Leaguer
    AA ERA

Votto should be playing 1B. The Hatteberg/Conine platoon is a decent short term stopgap for this season, but it is pathetic compared to all the stud-caliber first basemen in the National League. I really think 1B is the one position that more than any other prevents the Reds from being a competitive team.

Our competition as Pujols, Berkman, Lee, Fielder, Howard, Gonzalez, Helton, and Delgado while we have a geriatric platoon. I am really hoping Votto can make a big improvement for us at this position. He has the potential. Maybe not superstar potential but definitely star potential.

The only reason I can see for the Reds to move Votto to LF is if they are planning to make Dunn the long-term first baseman.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat View Post
    I don't care how logical Mission was about Dunn, but just some thoughts for a year from now

whooooooo....send Dunn to Boston....whooooo...we'll give you candy, and Coco Crisp, he can slaaaaaaaaaaap hit and bunt for singles....whooooooo
    Just stop with "bunt for singles."

You sold Jerry already.

I'm sure he can get Wayne's blessing.

Oh Lord help us.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hell, I'd trade over Coco if you just send over remnants of Wily Mo's defensive capability. I know there wasn't much there, but he's probably the worst visual defensive OF I've ever seen. Manny is so much better.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

We warned you about Mo's defense bro. But can he stick in Fenway? Wait, the BoSox haven't given him much of a shot. Don't worry, the Reds did the same thing to him.

No doubt though, his defense is atrocious.

MLB ERA

Yeah, I'd say that defense downgrades his offense quite a bit (Pena's).

I wonder what his VORP is looking like right now.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

I knew it sucked, but I've never seen an OF out there look so lost. I'd actually consider taking the double defensive hit if the Sox let Lowell go and find no one, by moving Youk to 3rd, Papi to 1st, and WMP to DH. Or trying to teach WMP how to play first. He's not meant to be an OF, and really, the only reason he isn't playing over Coco right now is the defense IMO. Coco's a black hole in the lineup.

Pena, as inconsistant as he is, is probably our best offensive OF this year (with Coco being Coco, Manny not coming to life like he usually does in May, J.D. Drew turning into Alex Sanchez sans speed with patience, and Eric Hinske). He just doesn't play because he hurts the Sox a lot in the field, moreso than the stats say.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat View Post
    I knew it sucked, but I've never seen an OF out there look so lost. I'd actually consider taking the double defensive hit if the Sox let Lowell go and find no one, by moving Youk to 3rd, Papi to 1st, and WMP to DH. Or trying to teach WMP how to play first. He's not meant to be an OF, and really, the only reason he isn't playing over Coco right now is the defense IMO. Coco's a black hole in the lineup.
    Believe it or not, Pena's taken a few innings at third for the Reds. That was during that bizarre period in which his bat wasn't quite ready and they were just giving him AB's for the sake of it (in the outfield, at first, at third, etc.) I believe it was during ST though.

MLB ERA

Well, looks like WMP's OPSing .824 right now.

He is not holding a candle to Griffey, Dunn or Hamilton overall.

I know though...scoreboard...or something like that.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Votto should be playing 1B. The Hatteberg/Conine platoon is a decent short term stopgap for this season, but it is pathetic compared to all the stud-caliber first basemen in the National League. I really think 1B is the one position that more than any other prevents the Reds from being a competitive team.

Our competition as Pujols, Berkman, Lee, Fielder, Howard, Gonzalez, Helton, and Delgado while we have a geriatric platoon. I am really hoping Votto can make a big improvement for us at this position. He has the potential. Maybe not superstar potential but definitely star potential.

The only reason I can see for the Reds to move Votto to LF is if they are planning to make Dunn the long-term first baseman.
    I have to hand it to the Reds though, for a platoon that sounds so un-appealing on paper, we have gotten our money's worth for it (especially in Hatteberg's case.) Votto has had his up's and down's as a prospect (to being barely on the radar for some, to being a top prospect) so I am hoping those were more growing pains rather than a trend of inconsistent play. Once he is fairly developed, our lineup will get a whole lot more dangerous given his power.

Has Votto played the outfield at any level? I am not for sure as I've always really focused just on his bat (even more so once he was moved away from catcher) but I am thinking it might not be the worse move to bring him up September to let him hopefully learn a bit from Hatteberg and Conine.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

I will always have a weird/strange man love for Mo.

MLB ERA

i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I will always have a weird/strange man love for Mo.
    yeah me too.

anway.. back to topic.. the situation is ripe, we got a huge emotional win last night, we have a team in town worse than we are with another not so good team coming in right after.. even if we don't have the "5 game win streak" we should be looking at winning at least 5 of the next 7 games.. that would help a lot, although back to back sweeps would be even better, i won't hold my breath.

I am worried about everything that isn't position player related.. Harang could be hurt, Arroyo could now be hurt, Loshe has always been a joke, Belise is still a bit young and inconsistant, and the Sarloos/Milton thing is always really scary.. that leaves me with our bullpen.. and we all know the problems there.. I think if we don't win both series's it will be because of our pitching, and if we can't win these two.. series's we really should pack it up, because the Nationals are terrible..

I really want to see Bailey, we all do, but he really needs to work on his control, we put him in AAA to start the season for a reason.. we don't want to rush him, lets not rush him.. he should stay in AAA for the season and start next year with the team.

quick the shark repellent
    Rookie ERA

EE needs to be in Cinci.

I am all for bringing up Votto and Bailey and letting them take their lumps in the bigs now while the season appears to be in shambles. You never know they could just spark a miraculous turnaround. However I am also for a firesale of the current roster.

KGJ has huge trading potential if he will waive the 10/5 rights. Dunn is having a good year in what could be his last year with the club (1 club option year remaining on his contract) Conine could be dealt for a few cases of bats/balls and release scrubs like castro.

With KGJ, Dunn and Lohse traded we can retool the minors as well as get a couple of top tier prospects that might be a year away leaving us with something like this

1b votto
    2nd phillips
    3rd EE
    ss Gonzo
    c ross (or hopefully we could swindle atl out of saltamcchia)
    cf freel
    rf hamilton
    lf either we work out a trade with someone or hopper remains

That lineup wouoldn't win very many games this year but next year when you Bruce comes into play along with the extra money we will have to spend in free agency we could see the workings of a YOUNG 82-86 win team that will only get better

IMO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast