Thread: Wilson pulled from rotation...for now

Wilson pulled from rotation...for now

NEW YORK -- Paul Wilson will get a rest, and Elizardo Ramirez will get another shot.
    That's how the Reds' starting pitching will shake out this weekend against the Indians, as Ramirez will make another start in place of the injured Brandon Claussen on Saturday, and Ramon Ortiz will take the struggling Wilson's spot in the rotation on Sunday.

Pitching coach Don Gullett said Wilson's turn is not being skipped completely, but that the team is simply giving the veteran, who has a 7.77 ERA, some more rest.

"We're just giving him a little extra time," Gullett said of Wilson. "We're giving him a mental, as well as a physical, break, and we'll go from there."

The Reds have not yet decided if Wilson will pitch Monday's game against the Nationals.

Wilson has had an abysmal May. In three starts, he's gone 0-3 with a 16.55 ERA. He's lasted all of 10 1/3 innings in those three outings.

When approached before the Reds headed out to the field for pregame stretching Wednesday, Wilson said he hadn't talked to Gullett at all about the decision. He had assumed he was pitching Sunday.

Though the velocity on his fastball in his last outing against the Mets on Monday hovered around just 85 or 86 mph, Wilson has reported no physical problems. He said after that start that he wants and expects to get the ball every fifth day.

But Gullett said a little rest should help Wilson.

"The location of his pitches has been off," Gullett said. "And not only with him, but with anybody, when you have bad location, you're going to get hurt."

Ramirez didn't get hurt much in his first big league start in place of Claussen on Sunday in Philadelphia. He allowed just two runs over six innings in that outing, earning him another chance to show his stuff.

"I was very impressed," Gullett said of the 22-year-old Ramirez's first start. "For a guy as young as he is, he showed a lot of poise and composure."

Claussen, meanwhile, looks to be physically ready to take the mound. He said the left ankle he sprained in his last start on May 10 felt just fine and that he's able to run on it.

Claussen was scheduled to throw a bullpen session Wednesday morning, and the team will evaluate him over the next couple days to decide when he'll pitch again.

When asked if he had thought about the possibility of heading back to the bullpen, Claussen didn't seem too distraught about the idea, though he'd certainly rather start.

"Anything is possible," he said. "You can't rule it out."
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

I'm glad they are doing something, but when have you ever heard of a team "giving a pitcher some rest?" Are we going to get another pitcher? 14 maybe? why not go for 17 pitchers and no bench at all? If paul wilson can't pitch put him on the DL.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    Put him on the DL! Ridiculous.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    to the dl with him
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    This article is full of good news! Ramirez will get the start. And best of all Wilson will not! The management made a really great decision on this. I am just in shock to see that this decision came about. Amazed to say the least. A great move!

AAA ERA
    well someone needs to go on the DL for Pena

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by NFLman2033
    well someone needs to go on the DL for Pena
    I bet they will just send Bergolla back down. As for the article it is good news, but what does that really do? Is Wilson going to come out like last year b/c he has 7-10 days of rest. Odds are that isnt going to help. Hes either hurt or his mechanics are screwed up. I dont think a few days is going to help that out too much. But maybe the Reds are just stalling and they will put him on the DL retro to yesterday.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by volzok
    I bet they will just send Bergolla back down. As for the article it is good news, but what does that really do? Is Wilson going to come out like last year b/c he has 7-10 days of rest. Odds are that isnt going to help. Hes either hurt or his mechanics are screwed up. I dont think a few days is going to help that out too much. But maybe the Reds are just stalling and they will put him on the DL retro to yesterday.
    only thing with that, is that they are carrying 13 pitchers, so they have pretty much said it was going to be a pitcher they were going to send down when Pena comes off

Quote Originally Posted by volzok
    i think coffey will go back to AAA. If he's hurt, i think you are right, that resting him for one start will not be enough, and he'll go on the dl. If it's something in his delivery that can be fixed in 2 seconds if they figure out what it is.

With Milton it looks like he is falling backwards as he goes toward the plate and it's making him leave everything up and left. I'm no expert, but i don't see anything like that for Paul, i think he's hurt.
    Reds MVP Race

I think if Wilson doesn't admit to being hurt that he should go to long relief. With his numbers he can't complain about that. In fact he can thank his lucky stars for his union and guaranteed contracts. He's lucky he gets to keep his job at all.

i just read that wilson is going to start monday against the nationals, and is only being given an extra day of rest. Claussen is going to be skipped, so we can take back all the praise we gave the reds, they're as dumb as we thought.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    There's a shocker.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Figures! Where did you see that one Wally? This really ticks me off. I was proud of this in hopes that the team knew that Wilson cannot pitch right now. I thought it was a first step toward the DL or move to bullpen. I am convinced that the managerial staff does not watch the Reds at all. If they actually cared about winning, we would see them make moves from the passion of getting this team to where it needs to be. But they are thinking with their wallets and their business traits. Sucks.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Nevermind Wally I found it in the Narron article by Hal. I am very pissed about this.