Thread: EdE; Angels possible trade suitors?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

EdE; Angels possible trade suitors?

The Angels have been hard-pressed for a 3rd bagger this year. There have been indications of their looking in Garret Atkins' direction Denver Post. The Rockies have Ian Stewart who is a nice young prospect on the rise. But Atkins was the second best hitter for a third baseman in the NL last season behing Miguel Cabrera. And the Rockies have already expressed that Atkins is apart of their future. It just doesn't seem like a fit.

With EdE's recent demotion; I am sure many teams are looking at his being possible trade bait. Especially knowing Krivsky's small sample sized track record. If he young player is demoted, they may as well be looking for a new piece of real estate.

Now the concern is two fold. One, why in the world would we ever trade EdE? We have nobody to replace him at 3B. Freel is a decent replacement and a good player to have in the lineup. He also plays an adequate third base. But is it wise to trade away our biggest right handed stick? We can't talk about someone coming up from the minors and taking his spot either. Juan Francisco is in Dayton and we don't know how good he will be, but he is still a few years away anyway. And don't even think about mentioning Herr. The dude cannot take a walk to save his life. The only other options are Castro and Keppinger. I would keep EdE as our primary RH bat any day over those two.

The second question is if a deal does get discussed between the Reds and Angels, who do the Reds get in exchange for EdE? I doubt the Angels will depart with Ervin Santana despite his struggles this year. With their surplus of pitching though, I would have to think that Saunders or Moseley could be had. But for EdE? I am not too sure I would bite. Nonetheless, I think I would want bullpen help if I were to trade anything of value right now.

This is just a situation to explore in your minds for now. Hopefully we never have to meet it face to face.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: EdE; Angels possible trade suitors?

EdE didn't start in Louisville today. I quit. Even the minor league affiliates are idiots.

This pisses me off. That is all I can say.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: EdE; Angels possible trade suitors?

Ervin Santana does not appear to be on the verge of a demotion to triple-A Salt Lake, but the Angels' patience with the 24-year-old right-hander seems to be wearing thin. Santana has been a Cy Young Award-caliber pitcher at home since his 2005 call-up to the big leagues, going 21-6 with a 3.04 earned-run average in Angel Stadium, but he is 9-15 with a 6.69 ERA in 30 road starts, including an 0-4 road record and 7.86 ERA this season. If the Angels were to demote Santana, they have two viable options in left-hander Joe Saunders, who went 2-0 with a 1.96 ERA in three starts before being sent to Salt Lake, and right-hander Dustin Moseley, who is 3-0 with a 1.66 ERA and is now pitching out of the Angels' bullpen.
    FOXSports.com - Ben Maller

So Santana may be much easier to get than I originally thought. Then again, his woes this year are just as bad as what EdE is doing. We can be sure that EdE will come out of his slump, but what about Santana?

Its sad to say this, but I may rather have Moseley back who is likely untouchable right now. If the Angels do in fact contact Krivsky, I sure hope that Krivsky doesn't bite on this. Santana just doesn't seem like the proper way to go and I am not sold on trading EdE at all.

Right now, EdE's name is circling around the bigs as a trade possibility and the Angels need a 3B really badly. There have also been talks of the Angels inquiring about Troy Glaus. With the Blue Jays being killed by injury, Glaus could be dealt.