Thread: Milton to the DL/ Burton called up

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Milton to the DL/ Burton called up

per C Trent's Blog:

Eric Milton has been placed on the 15-day DL with a left elbow strain. Jared Burton is on his way up from Louisville to take his place. Apparently, Milton complained about his elbow after the game, and to be cautious (he's had elbow surgery last September), he underwent an MRI that showed some inflammation. So, he'll shut it down for 7-10 days.

With Burton on his way here, the Reds will have eight relievers on staff for the next couple days. Then, Milton's spot in the rotation comes up on Sunday in Los Angeles. So, who is the mystery starter?

"We could bring somebody up (from Louisville) or it could be from the staff, either one," Wayne Krivsky said. "It could be someone from here or someone from Louisville and fly them in the night before."

So, the obvious question: Will it be Homer Bailey, who pitched Monday for the Bats? Doesn't sound like it.

"He pitched a couple nights ago," Krivsky said. "I haven’t talked to the staff. We'll wait and see. I haven't talked to Terry Reynolds or the minor league staff."

A couple of us were talking that the Reds might want to save Bailey's debut for GABP (it'd be sellout city) and thus, it might be Bobby Livingston, who pitched Tuesday (the same day as Milton). Kirk Saarloos also is a candidate. We'll see if he pitches out of the bullpen the next couple days.

OK, just talked to Milton. More from him in a minute.

UPDATE (5:49 p.m.): I knew I wanted to try to get Milton after BP, but the Astros BP unis look similar to the Reds, so I didn't notice the Reds were done for a few minutes. I ran down to the clubhouse and saw Fay finishing his interview with Milton and Milton about to head into one of those lounging rooms that's off-limits to the media. Luckily, I caught him about two steps from the door.

He didn't seem too down by the news. Said the elbow had been a little sore before yesterday but not sore enough to keep him from pitching. Last night in the second or third inning, he said he threw a slider and "it really hurt. I wanted to get it checked out and make sure it was nothing serious."

I asked him how frustrated he is.

"Yeah, I've been frustrated for a while. I haven't been healthy pretty much since 2002. So, it's been a struggle."

Then as soon as I was done with Milty, Sheldon came racing up to grab him before he went in the lounge. Poor guy, being put on the DL and then have to be beaten up by three reporters separately. All the guy wanted to do was lounge out probably.

As I was leaving the clubhouse, I saw Burton walking out the bathroom, so he's here and presumably ready to pitch. Of course, this move also will force the Reds to ship out one of their relievers before next Sunday's game. It won't be Burton, because he's a Rule 5 guy. Maybe Coutlangus will go down or Santos.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Milton to the DL/ Burton called up

I bet they'll end up going with Saarloos as the 5th starter until Milton is back, it would be the safest choice and one right from within the 25 man roster.

Whatchu know about 'dat? Cambodia's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Milton should stay on the DL. He's terrible.

AAA ERA

woohoo.. i am happy to see him go, if only it would be permanent.. and i think Saarloos moving to the rotation is a horrible Idea, he has been about the only one doing anything for us out of the Pen. But at the same time Dumatrait got rocked last start, Bailey isn't really ready.. its really either Saarloos or Santos

I hope its Livingston, i just want to see someone new, and i don't want Saarloos to come out of the pen